Flying in snow

I live in Canada and have been wondering this very thing. But like most, the risk is just too great for me right now. If I had someone to sponsor me a drone, I'd be out there right now!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's hard to see because they were very small flakes but it was snowing this day. I would not fly in heavy wet snow though. At these temps almost nothing sticks. As soon as I land I quickly get it covered. Haven't seen any moisture when I get home and thaw out. So far -12F is the coldest I've flown but didn't go very far at all. Once temps get that low batteries in general are unpredictable so I won't take much risk with Solo. If I don't fly in snow it will be April or May before I get to fly again.

You can see my other videos in the snow but it wasn't actively snowing at the time.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
AK, this is one of my favorite videos on the forum. I plan to take Solo snowmobiling with me this winter. I'm in California and waiting for more snow and with El Nino we should get plenty this winter. I love your shots overhead taking your gimbal from 0 to 90 degrees. I can't wait to mimic this in the Sierras soon. Any tips for flying in the snow are appreciated. We have so many sunny days here and usually don't ride while it's stormy, but I'm interested in what you take-off and land on? I'm planning to bring part of a yago mat with me. What do you use?

AK, this is one of my favorite videos on the forum. I plan to take Solo snowmobiling with me this winter. I'm in California and waiting for more snow and with El Nino we should get plenty this winter. I love your shots overhead taking your gimbal from 0 to 90 degrees. I can't wait to mimic this in the Sierras soon. Any tips for flying in the snow are appreciated. We have so many sunny days here and usually don't ride while it's stormy, but I'm interested in what you take-off and land on? I'm planning to bring part of a yago mat with me. What do you use?
Thank you for the compliments. I still have a lot to learn.
This area was easy since we were out on a pond I just shoveled snow and created an ice landing pad. Other times I use whatever scrap piece of wood I have laying around. I don't use any roll or folded mats since I haven't seen a material that will go flat in the cold after being packed. I suppose some indoor/outdoor carpet with spikes through the corners to hold it down might work. There is a piece of mat from recycled tires that is fairly pliable but way to heavy to be considered portable. So far I just improvise and have been fortunate to make it work.

Cleared a landing pad from all the snow to demo for a friend to minimize the snow kicked up from take off. The GPS did an awesome job of putting it back on the pad. Wondered if anyone has put limits on the temperature to fly Solo. Of course I would not stand around in northern MN when it was 20 below to fly. Just wondered...

Cleared a landing pad from all the snow to demo for a friend to minimize the snow kicked up from take off. The GPS did an awesome job of putting it back on the pad. Wondered if anyone has put limits on the temperature to fly Solo. Of course I would not stand around in northern MN when it was 20 below to fly. Just wondered...
I don't recall exactly because I was intending to do some dedicated cold weather testing later this winter but I think the coldest I have flown was around -11F the other day.

By the way -20F is still warm enough for a 15min flight without getting too bundled up. ;-)

I'm thinking of calling 3DR and see if I share my testing data with them they will help with repairs, if needed, while testing at -40 or -50 depending on how cold we get this winter.

For what it's worth, I've done some test flights in the snow recently. I've flown in light to moderate snow fall with no problems so far. Temperatures have been pretty warm for winter in Vermont, but below freezing - so it hasn't been a "wet" snow. Today I did a test flight in moderate snow at -8C / 18F.

Hi All,

New here and came across this thread. My Solo crashed, fell into a pool and after letting it dry for about a week and replacing just 2 motors and a battery it runs perfectly fine. Even the Gimbal AND GoPro work just fine. I have no idea how but I can tell you Solo is definitely more durable and waterproof than advertised.

Happy Flying!

James

Reactions: Acroduster
Wow! That's amazing! Having been on this forum for a while, there have been many reports of crashed Solos getting back up in the air with minimal refurbishment, but yours takes the cake...

By the way -20F is still warm enough for a 15min flight without getting too bundled up. ;-)

You forgot to add... for an Alaskan!

I'd be tempted to take the Solo out in less than ideal conditions if the results were worth it. Moisture shouldn't bother the windings on the motors, they are shielded after all. I'd mainly be concerned with the bearings and any of the components on the ESCs. As someone previously said of the motors, anything that gets warm will instantly melt any snow that gets on them.

In the end, you take your chances and live with the consequences!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44