Flying in snow

Reaction score
I know flying solo in the rain and drizzle is a bad idea, but what about while it is actually snowing? I would think wet snow us as bad as rain, but what about a dry snow? Am I crazy to want to do this?

I know flying solo in the rain and drizzle is a bad idea, but what about while it is actually snowing? I would think wet snow us as bad as rain, but what about a dry snow? Am I crazy to want to do this?

Han,

I don't think you're crazy to want to do this. I was thinking the same thing yesterday here in the snow-flying boonies. I quickly came to my senses when I had a vision of a big ole giant "dry" snowflake getting sucked into one of my motors at 200'.

Jerry

In other words... crazy stupid. That'd kind of what I was thinking. Wait it out

I know how tempting that would be, but I don't think I would do it myself. After all, snow, whether dry or not is still made from moisture. Get some in our motors and that can't be good for them. Guys have done it, but I am too cautious, I guess.

Reactions: J R
it is a return on investment question
footage would be awesome at the risk of losing $1800 in equipment

are you a risk taker?

I can't afford risk I can prevent. I have been tempted on several occasions, but after thinking about it, I erred on the side of caution. Replacing my equipment would mean sleeping in the garage....:(

Reactions: prowler9
Touch one of your motors immediately after landing- that "dry" snow would melt in a heartbeat.

Also, I think snow would build up on the camera lens while flying forward. So, fly in reverse?:cool:

Reactions: Solo Keith
In other words... crazy stupid. That'd kind of what I was thinking. Wait it out

Han,

No, I didn't say that. I'm sure there are folks that do so successfully. I'd just feel stupid if I lost my bird to a "dry" snowflake. I can pretty much guarantee that we'll know the answer to that question and many others soon enough though. After all of the brazen new pilots find that beautiful bird under the Christmas tree next month! Hell, we should have a pretty good test bed on the capabilities and limitations of just about everything Solo by March. This thread title is not beyond comprehension:

"My Solo got really cold today"...

Followed by...

"So I put it in the microwave to thaw it out, the microwave went nuts so I pulled it out really fast. Now my Solo and microwave don't work! I can't even get it to send a service ticket!"

Followed by (and here's the kicker)...

"What should I do now?"

Jerry

Jerry,
Love your sense of humor here. I am sure prediction is spot on.
So my brain appears to be right after all, NOT a good idea. Particularly for a somewhat risk averse person such as myself. But if $1800 was dangled in front of me to try it, I might be tempted.

Jerry,
Love your sense of humor here. I am sure prediction is spot on.
So my brain appears to be right after all, NOT a good idea. Particularly for a somewhat risk averse person such as myself. But if $1800 was dangled in front of me to try it, I might be tempted.

Hans,

Just trying to be a bit funny this morning. I'm risk adverse as well and have done my fair share of things I certainly wouldn't let everyone here know about. I like to lick my own wounds rather then get ripped to shreds by a pack of wolves!

10 degrees and snow here, no flying for me today, damn!

Jerry

Solo is my first real drone. I wonder if other drones are as susseptibe to water because of the open-air motors. I know there is at least one water proof model out there. Maybe that would be a good option for all-weather flying, well maybe not ALL weather,

Similar issue with heavy fog. I flew in fog once and noticed the craft was pretty wet.

Well, Maybe it's not so bad after all...(not my footage)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Acroduster
Oops, worse than that, looks like a P2, a lot less to lose!

Jerry
Yes, but at least it shows that snow is not bothering the motors. That was my point of posting..

Well, Maybe it's not so bad after all...(not my footage)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Nice video... But what it dosint show you in the video is the consequences of flying in that kinda conditions afterwards..!!
I wonder if he had problems with his Dron down the road?
I just don't think it's healthy for your Drone!
But never the less ...cool video:)

Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea