I have two of the DS 3-1 Side Wire Drone Strobes. They are VERY bright. I haven't flown them in daylight yet, but I have flown, one of them, at night, 1200 feet away with an altitude of about 100 feet. The strobe was highly visible.
I will make a video soon.
Jump- did you have a chance to view this in daytime? Would like to know how it looks.:D

Here is a short test video I made trying to show LED visibility.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Maddog,

I think it looks really good! Not sure I'd use them out here though, gives the hunters a little better target!

Jerry

Maddog,

I think it looks really good! Not sure I'd use them out here though, gives the hunters a little better target!

Jerry
Ouch! Thanks, I need them to see Solo- I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other one.o_O

It's saying I don't have permission to view the pictures. Can you post them a different way?

Nice! I assume the plug is to charge the battery via USB?

How much do you want for a set?

Nice! I assume the plug is to charge the battery via USB?

How much do you want for a set?
No battery- the bottom plug supplies 5V to power the Digispark and 15V to feed the voltage regulator which powers the LED's.

If you're referring to the part that has the 4 gold bands, that plugs into a USB port so you can program the flash pattern. I left it on because this is a test prototype. It can be cut off.

I'm working on another version which is round, about 1.25 in. dia. X .50 in. tall. (Instead of the black block). The 2nd LED will be unchanged.

Waiting on parts to build more. They are pretty labor intensive, with lots of tiny solder joints. I think $40 would cover parts & labor. What do you think?
Edit: (Forgot to add cost of LED's in original post)

Last edited:
Waiting on parts to build more. They are pretty labor intensive, with lots of tiny solder joints. I think $35 would cover parts & labor.

Maddog,

I think you covered this previously but I didn't go back to read through the entire thread. Did you indicate that having the LED's remain on instead of blinking would not be practical. I think you said they'd get too hot and eat up too much battery. I'd love to find something similar to what you're creating that keeps the lights on. Great job though, Man. I can tell you put a lot of work into this and it's great to see it coming together.

Jerry

Quite the bargain and really nice thought went into the selection of the LED's with optics. Do they offer colored LED, red and green? I'm thinking navigation lights...for others to see me.

Maddog,

I think you covered this previously but I didn't go back to read through the entire thread. Did you indicate that having the LED's remain on instead of blinking would not be practical. I think you said they'd get too hot and eat up too much battery. I'd love to find something similar to what you're creating that keeps the lights on. Great job though, Man. I can tell you put a lot of work into this and it's great to see it coming together.

Jerry
Jerry,

Yes, they get VERY hot VERY fast! A heat sink might cure that but the current draw would become an issue. I wanted to see how hot they would get just flashing so I connected them to Solo and turned it on for 15 minutes. (Average flight length). They didn't get hot enough to be a concern but Solo's battery went from 99% to 50%.

I know what you're looking for but I haven't found anything bright enough for good daytime visibility. Current draw is going to be an issue for that.

Quite the bargain and really nice thought went into the selection of the LED's with optics. Do they offer colored LED, red and green? I'm thinking navigation lights...for others to see me.
Rich- thanks! No colored LED's in this wattage range. (10W).
The only thing I can find are 1W LED's in all colors. I bought some but they can barely be seen in daytime- great at night though!

A colored lens of some kind might work- blinking 10W wouldn't get too hot but current draw will again be an issue. I wouldn't use more than 2 10W LED's on Solo for that reason.

A red and a green blinker would be OK by themselves- let me look into the colored lens possibility.

Jerry,

Yes, they get VERY hot VERY fast! A heat sink might cure that but the current draw would become an issue. I wanted to see how hot they would get just flashing so I connected them to Solo and turned it on for 15 minutes. (Average flight length). They didn't get hot enough to be a concern but Solo's battery went from 99% to 50%.

I know what you're looking for but I haven't found anything bright enough for good daytime visibility. Current draw is going to be an issue for that.

Gotcha Dog. I thought that what you said previously. Thanks.

Jerry

No big deal on the colored LED, I've got options. Can always use lighting gels, may even lose a few lumens. But it will still be visible to overhead aircraft with the ground as a background...

My setup has a strobe with on off switch, front/rear led lights, foldable leg extensions, prop guards.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44