Reaction score
BRITE LITE IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE

I started this thread to consolidate information primarily from Flashing Lights? which contains the background of this project.

Basically, I was looking for some LED lights I could put on Solo so I could see it more easily and determine its orientation. Not finding anything quite what I was looking for, I spent many hours in my state of the art ISO 9001 factory (garage workshop) doing R & D.

I finally came up with what I am calling the "Brite Lite Anti-Collision Lighting System" for Solo.

Description:

Red/Green navigation lights up front (always on, not flashing)
2 white high power 5W strobing LED's in back which double-flash in unison
1 red high power 5W strobing LED in back between the white LED's which double-flashes and alternates with the white LED's. Can be mounted angled up, behind the battery or angled down at the rear of Solo.

There are 3 separate power supplies and each has been "tuned" to give a good balance between current draw and light output. I have been seeing a flight time reduction of about a minute using all the lights for an entire flight. Can't guarantee what you will experience.

Weight: not sure (forgot to find a scale) but very light. Much less than an iphone 5.:cool:

The controller plugs into the port on the bottom of Solo (covered with a rubber plug) and is held in place with 4 screws. (Included) It has a 3 position switch: All- Off- Strobes only.

The LED mounting brackets have an alignment tab for exact placement and are held in place with VHB tape.
Sticks like iron but can be removed without leaving any residue.

The silicone wiring is measured so there is almost no slack to prevent flopping around. Ive found silicone adhesive to be the best removable adhesive to attach the wire to Solo, but you can use whatever you like.

Price: $90 + $5 shipping via USPS priority mail anywhere in CONUS. Will ship out of the US, just need to check on shipping.
You will receive: The complete system, with mounting screws and written instructions/information. Should only take 5 minutes to install everything.

Ordering: prefer PayPal, but you are free to mail a check or money order. Please send me a PM so I can keep track of orders. I will give you the PayPal or mailing info after I get your PM.

Orders filled as follows:
Those who made a request by posting on the "flashing lights" thread or elsewhere, or who sent me a PM, in the order they were posted/sent.
Orders made by PM today and later, next, in the order received.

I am not a business, just 1 guy who decided to make this available to some Solo owners who expressed an interest. I did not anticipate the response I have gotten already. (Over a dozen in just the past couple of days) so I spent all morning ordering more parts to fill demand. I couldn't afford to keep a lot of parts on hand not knowing if I would be stuck with them. I have parts arriving on 2-7 to finish some I have already started.

I will build and ship as fast as I can, but these are surprisingly complicated and labor intensive. Expect about 2 weeks to receive now, hopefully faster as parts arrive and I get better.

Thank you!
IMG_3348.JPGIMG_3349.JPGIMG_3351.JPGIMG_3352.JPGIMG_3353.JPG
More pics posted in my album.

Last edited:
I'm definitely in. I've been meaning to do this myself and never get around to it. You've done a way better job than I ever would have. This thing is sexy.

Reactions: Maddog
nice work. I watched the video and those lights are indeed bright!

Might I suggest a mod though. Use a more low profile rocker switch versus the toggle?

nice work. I watched the video and those lights are indeed bright!

Might I suggest a mod though. Use a more low profile rocker switch versus the toggle?
Thanks! I had to use the toggle switch because it was the only DPDT switch that was small enough to fit. There is almost no room inside the case for a switch so I spent a long time rearranging components inside and finding a switch that would fit.

Also, the toggle is much easier and faster to install.:cool:

Maddog, great job here with your lighting system......and I mean it.........but I don't mean to rain on your parade........

Were you not happy with Polar Pro LED lights......at $30.......I have installed those & one can see the orientation of the drone from quite afar......

Were you trying to achieve something different......????

Just curious....that's all....

Maddog, great job here with your lighting system......and I mean it.........but I don't mean to rain on your parade........

Were you not happy with Polar Pro LED lights......at $30.......I have installed those & one can see the orientation of the drone from quite afar......

Maddog's setup was tested at, I believe, 300' altitude, and 500' out, on a bright day, and he said they were clearly visible. On a bright day out the same distance, I can barely see my Polar Pro's. Of course, my eyes for sure aren't the same as they used to be. I think these will be a better answer to seeing the orientation of our Solo's.

No worries! I tried a set of led's like Polar Pro long before it came out and they weren't bright enough for me.
Brite Lite was well under way before Polar Pro showed up and meets FAA requirements for night flying, which is something the SAR/law enforcement people I have been talking to have asked for.

nice...I will definitely consider buying a set from you....Thank you for explanation

I started this thread to consolidate information primarily from Flashing Lights? which contains the background of this project.

Basically, I was looking for some LED lights I could put on Solo so I could see it more easily and determine its orientation. Not finding anything quite what I was looking for, I spent many hours in my state of the art ISO 9001 factory (garage workshop) doing R & D.

I finally came up with what I am calling the "Brite Lite Anti-Collision Lighting System" for Solo.

Description:

Red/Green navigation lights up front (always on, not flashing)
2 white high power 5W strobing LED's in back which double-flash in unison
1 red high power 5W strobing LED in back between the white LED's which double-flashes and alternates with the white LED's. Can be mounted angled up, behind the battery or angled down at the rear of Solo.

There are 3 separate power supplies and each has been "tuned" to give a good balance between current draw and light output. I have been seeing a flight time reduction of about a minute using all the lights for an entire flight. Can't guarantee what you will experience.

Weight: not sure (forgot to find a scale) but very light. Much less than an iphone 5.:cool:

The controller plugs into the port on the bottom of Solo (covered with a rubber plug) and is held in place with 4 screws. (Included) It has a 3 position switch: All- Off- Strobes only.

The LED mounting brackets have an alignment tab for exact placement and are held in place with VHB tape.
Sticks like iron but can be removed without leaving any residue.

The silicone wiring is measured so there is almost no slack to prevent flopping around. Ive found silicone adhesive to be the best removable adhesive to attach the wire to Solo, but you can use whatever you like.

Price: $90 + $5 shipping via USPS priority mail anywhere in CONUS. Will ship out of the US, just need to check on shipping.
You will receive: The complete system, with mounting screws and written instructions/information. Should only take 5 minutes to install everything.

Ordering: prefer PayPal, but you are free to mail a check or money order. Please send me a PM so I can keep track of orders. I will give you the PayPal or mailing info after I get your PM.

Orders filled as follows:
Those who made a request by posting on the "flashing lights" thread or elsewhere, or who sent me a PM, in the order they were posted/sent.
Orders made by PM today and later, next, in the order received.

I am not a business, just 1 guy who decided to make this available to some Solo owners who expressed an interest. I did not anticipate the response I have gotten already. (Over a dozen in just the past couple of days) so I spent all morning ordering more parts to fill demand. I couldn't afford to keep a lot of parts on hand not knowing if I would be stuck with them. I have parts arriving on 2-7 to finish some I have already started.

I will build and ship as fast as I can, but these are surprisingly complicated and labor intensive. Expect about 2 weeks to receive now, hopefully faster as parts arrive and I get better.

Thank you!
View attachment 5259 View attachment 5260 View attachment 5261 View attachment 5262 View attachment 5263
More pics posted in my album.
Why did I just see this now????
But thanks for posting the link on another discussion topic here. I think you did a fantastic job with the lights and your bright orange vehicle mod.
I just got my PP lights and so far happy with them but visibility of yours as Chuck mentions piques my interest. I'd like to hear from owners of this light. Anybody care to share their experience installing and flying with it? Thanks and great work again, @Maddog. I hope to get one in the future.

Why did I just see this now????
But thanks for posting the link on another discussion topic here. I think you did a fantastic job with the lights and your bright orange vehicle mod.
I just got my PP lights and so far happy with them but visibility of yours as Chuck mentions piques my interest. I'd like to hear from owners of this light. Anybody care to share their experience installing and flying with it? Thanks and great work again, @Maddog. I hope to get one in the future.
Thanks- I just started this thread yesterday. I'm still going to post an outdoor visibility video as soon as I am able.

Reactions: speatuk
Thanks- I just started this thread yesterday. I'm still going to post an outdoor visibility video as soon as I am able.

Bump
and back to the top it goes.
[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc