Reaction score
Hey All,

Had an unfortunate series of events take place yesterday in Tampa. I'm here on assignment filming some Broll of the city for a client. I shot several nice drone sequences and was filming near the Skyway bridge to finish the day.

I setup on the North fishing point so I could have close proximity to the bridge. Launched her up and got some nice sequences near the bridge. Then made a long run along side the bridge finishing near the towers. I saw the opening and decided to fly through. Got through and lost signal.

Normally when I lose signal I get the return home protocol from the controller but this time no such thing happened. So I waited for a bit feeling the pressure of the moment to see if it would return... Nothing.

Drove up onto the bridge to see if I could get an eye on the drone. Nothing. Gone.

Not sure why the return home didn't kick in and didn't see the unit on the bridge so I'm expecting it dropped out of the sky and into the water.

In anyone in the Tampa area hears word of a found drone washing up on shore please lmk. I'm interested in recovering the card more than anything. Shame I didn't bring it back and that the fly home protocol didn't kick in but what can you do. Live and learn. Hopefully the card pops up and I get to see the epic free fall footage.

Bolo and if you have any insight on alternative ways to locate the drone lmk.

Thanks all and Happy flying.

Raymond

Reactions: artcuda
So what you're saying is you lost sight of the bird? So it could have bounced off an unseen cable or something?

Reactions: Z953
So what you're saying is you lost sight of the bird? So it could have bounced off an unseen cable or something?

I had clear line of site then flew through the towers (which are open) I feel like the tower may have scrambled the units signal and I don't know what happened after that. Normally it engages return home but didn't get that on the controller. Just signal lost.

She was about 5000 feet away from me laterally and 200 ft in the air

Holy f*** it's DIRECTLY IN THE FLIGHT PATH of an airport.

At freaking MACDILL AFB.

I think it entirely possible your drone was subject to electronic countermeasures.

You're damned lucky that you didn't receive a visit from MPs.

I had to try and take the shot... Shame I lost the bird ...

You decidedly *did not* have to. These kind of reckless, ill considered flights are the kind of thing that is going to get ALL of us grounded permanently.

Holy f*** it's DIRECTLY IN THE FLIGHT PATH of an airport.

At freaking MACDILL AFB.

I think it entirely possible your drone was subject to electronic countermeasures.

You're damned lucky that you didn't receive a visit from MPs.

Lesson learned. Didn't know that was even a thing. Thanks for the info

A man has to know his limitations- BESFilms evidently figured out his; today.
It sucks losing a drone though- don’t wish that upon anyone-

If you passed your Pt. 107 you absolutely *should* have known. And if you aren't a pt. 107 pilot you are flying illegally if you are flying for anything except recreational purposes.

Reactions: jasonferrier

Well said. That being said I wish there was a way to auto capture footage while you're in the air with this unit. Would've made the loss at least tolerable... I'm not sure if there's a way to mod the setup to do so and whether anyone has a setup like that

Me either.

And possibly I'm a little harsher than I should be. But seriously, folks,you have GOT to check your airspace *every time*

Does your controller give you any indications of where it dropped? Hell, it could be on land.... in a fancy office, sitting on a fancy desk- with a half dozen officers and one Commanding Officer- ( no less than one star) all looking at each other thinking “wtf???”
I hope none of those guys is a forum member!!!!
IS THAT SOMEONE KNOCKING ON YOUR DOOR?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc