DRONE CATCHES FIRE DURING HERE INSTALL

The circled cable connector was subject to a lot of heat, the red wire looks like it arced and/or melted. That appears to be the HERE GPS connector. Maybe the OP can get a close up picture of that connectors pins and the pins on the mainboard side EDIT: Just saw the closer pics of said connector appears to be fine from that view point anyway...
suspect wiring.jpg

Last edited:
Now seeing the full connector and wires, it's not a source. From the original set of photos, it appeared to be a burnt wire, an optical illusion....

I recall a similar capacitor pop back when, tried searching for the thread but no joy. Even so, I think it was determined that the copper shielding got down on to the components, iirc.

Stuff happens....move on.

Reactions: Jesters Drones
Now seeing the full connector and wires, it's not a source. From the original set of photos, it appeared to be a burnt wire, an optical illusion....

I recall a similar capacitor pop back when, tried searching for the thread but no joy. Even so, I think it was determined that the copper shielding got down on to the components, iirc.

Stuff happens....move on.
yeah i just saw the other pics looks fine

Yes, I'd still like to see the other end, but I'm leaning that the GPS has nothing to do with this, regardless, I'll work with you to get you sorted.

Reactions: Maddog
I’m back. Ok looking at the wires leading to the connector there are no bare wires showing. The outside of the wires are a little scorched and the only damage to the connector is some scorching..Whatever the connector next to thr gps port took the bulk of the scorching.
I checked under the scorched area and don’t see any breed through.
I will tell you this much it happened in seconds after the solo reboot.
I guess to could have been a coincident, but I don’t believe in them and yet.
Tell me what you need, I’m not looking for anything other then what caused it.
Do you want more pics or I can send the whole Sabang so you can look at it.
This drone is now for parts.

79C800F7-E47D-43F4-A7FE-4C61DB1A7CAE.jpeg jester,I just noticed you earlier post. This tread is in two places. It started off as a leveling problem, which I eliminated by reinstalling a black cube. Anyway I’m uploading the shot your looking for. The unit smells scorched but looks fine inside to me.

I’m back. Ok looking at the wires leading to the connecTommantor there are no bare wires showing. The outside of the wires are a little scorched and the only damage to the connector is some scorching..Whatever the connector next to thr gps port took the bulk of the scorching.
I checked under the scorched area and don’t see any breed through.
I will tell you this much it happened in seconds after the solo reboot.
I guess to could have been a coincident, but I don’t believe in them and yet.
Tell me what you need, I’m not looking for anything other then what caused it.
Do you want more pics or I can send the whole Sabang so you can look at it.
This drone is now for parts.

Thommann, I don't doubt that it happened just after install, but my feeling is, as another user mentioned, something came into contact with the area that burned. Keep in mind the GPS is a 5v circuit, the only 2 wires i care about thar would cause something to burn, is power and ground. The power wire is correct on the photos you posted, so, the only other end that would matter, for power, would be the end that plugs into the gps itself. If that's correct, while the gps could have any other combination wrong, it wouldn't work, but it would rule out the gps causing this because all tbe other wires associated with a gps, are basically data. Rx/ tx etc.
I'd just like to see a photo of that connector inside the gps, that would eliminate that.

Having said that, at this point, it doesn't matter, let's get you flying. I do have a spare main board, and I'd be willing to rebuild this for you, we can work put the details later, unfortunately, the timing is not great, as my shop will be closed this coming week and next for the Holiday, as is noted at the bottom link with my schedule. Matt alerted me to your issue, so I jumped in to assist, and as I stated, regardless of what the cause is, I can help you out, I'm just fairly certain, its pretty impossible for the GPS to cause that. If you look at the main connector (Yellow), directly in front of where the damage is, you will see buss traces, that come from main power... that's where something shorted, Or failed.

Jesters Drones

Thanks for all your help. I am I’m no hurry. I have 2 other solo I can play with. Besides holiday is looming and I will also be busy. By the way my name is Joe.
If I had not lost your receipt I would have done all this off line. However everyone has been good about it and you hav a great reputation.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours . SAME TO ALL,

Reactions: JBAlaska and XevetS
Thanks for all your help. I am I’m no hurry. I have 2 other solo I can play with. Besides holiday is looming and I will also be busy. By the way my name is Joe.
If I had not lost your receipt I would have done all this off line. However everyone has been good about it and you hav a great reputation.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours . SAME TO ALL,

Thanks Joe, my phone is on my website although after Today, I'll be leaving. But I'll touch base when I get back. You can email me direct at [email protected]

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Reactions: XevetS
I have to say Joe is a pretty calm and collected dude and handled this like a man unlike some of the kids out there, it is what it is stuff happens especially with electronics you pick yourself up and move on, Just today I crashed my favorite scratch-built wing into a high tension wire and that was that, time to rebuild better, stronger, faster..."hey I've heard that somewhere"... Anyway Joe keep your chin up and happy holidays to come..

I have to say Joe is a pretty calm and collected dude and handled this like a man unlike some of the kids out there, it is what it is stuff happens especially with electronics you pick yourself up and move on, Just today I crashed my favorite scratch-built wing into a high tension wire and that was that, time to rebuild better, stronger, faster..."hey I've heard that somewhere"... Anyway Joe keep your chin up and happy holidays to come..
And to you and yours. We only live once might as well enjoy it!

For reference, the section that burned was the main system power supply. The GPS is supplied from the PSM, which is the little module that sits above the cube between the 4 cube mounting screws.

Reactions: Jesters Drones
I wish everyone having a problem was this calm. Remember the guy who refused to read instructions and blew up the entire forum and Facebook complaining and blaming everyone else?
The guy that insisted you owed him a free drone because the GC install went badly? ........... I miss him.......... I mean come on, it made the rest of us look normal!

I bought a HERE from Jester's drones, freaking love it! Looking at the above customer service? I'm ordering all my solo stuff from Jesters from here on out!

Yup I remember that guy what a (insert expletive here)
I remember him going on about how he bought the green cube and how it shouldn't have been sold as it didn't come with any instructions whatsoever.. I believe he was barred shortly after that comment and I was so heartbroken, I had a great reply about how my toilet paper didn't come with any instructions, so therefore Charmin owed me a pair of pants.......... I was gutted that I didn't get to use that one....

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig