Reaction score
Hello all. I had been watching the solo from the start, every step of the way, and had been very dissapointed in what I read and watched...

The first issue I saw was that the gimbal was taking FOREVER to come, and when it didn't really work well, I have given up.

Then I found out it was the cables touching inside the quad, and once fixed it did well.

I read many comments about the GPS acquire problems.

I just found this, which really seems to help people.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Now it is really sad that I am reading about motor issues.

I have had a Phantom2 and Phantom 3. Both have well made, quiet, smooth motors. I had a blade 350qx before that, and it sounded like the motors were going to fly apart! I did a video on youtube, showing people how to replace the bearings only to find out it was a motor tolerance issue. This was really sad!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I really miss the clarity, detail, and dynamic range of my gopros, and when the price for the Solo came down to 1000 with gimbal, I was intrigued!

However, all these issues are ridiculous! I really want my GoPros and have always WANTED to stay with an American company, but I got burned with the 350qx.

To see the multiple issues that these quads have is sad. There is no reason 3dr can't do better than this.

Say what you want about DJI(and I have said a lot of bad things about them), their quads are generally spot on.

The phantom 3 has all this awesome control, and has the Litchi tower app, which is really useful.

The downfall of the DJIs is the camera. It just doesn't have it. That is enough to make me want to switch.

GoPros make you feel like you are in the scene. Phantoms just look like you have taken a very soft image or photo, without much detail

I do like that you can change out the whole motor pod on the Solo, without any tools except a screw driver. That is smart! However since it comes with the ESC board as well, it is expensive!

For that expense, it should be made better.

Yes, I have changed a few Phantom 2 motors, but because it had tipped over and burnt the windings, not just because it started to go bad.

If it tips over, if it wrecks into a tree, I have no problem replacing motors. I expect to have to. However, having a sloppy poorly made motor that just goes bad is pathetic.

I want it! I wanted them to succeed! however, these problems are a little ridiculous! Yes they are a small company, but electric motors have been around a LOOOONG time, and they should be able to get it right!

Not trying to trash 3dr, I just wish they would fix this stuff. The motor issue is a hot button with me, as I had had issues in the past, that really irritaged me. I am very used to mods, and comfortable doing them. I don't mind taking the quad apart and fixing things.

What I DO mind is having to spend lots of money modifying this by de-soldering the motors from the ESC and putting motors on from a Chinese factory with better quality control than the one they are currently using.

Reactions: Lars Malm and Lance
There's no need to replace the motors at all, there's been virtually no issues with motors, when there have been motor pod failures it's been the ESCs from what I've seen; the motors on Solo are T-Motors and 3DR warranty failures on motor pods so there's no issue anyway, the only issue is if you replace the motors you're simply invalidating the warranty.

Hmmm. The 350qx was made by Yuneec, the DJI machines and now the Solo come from factories in Szenchen China. The "US" drones were the X8 and the Iris. Assembly was in Tijuana, ship out from 3DR's logistics center on Otay Mesa, San Diego.
Both the Solo and the Iris use props made for good all-round quad performance and indeed, they are a tad loud with those upturned tips....but its physics not bearings doing that. Its taken years to refine the supply chain and the components to give us the great quadcopers out there now. I'll take drone props balanced right out of the box rather than futz with those R/C props to get them balanced...

I have just grown so suspicious of people who come on boards like this and make a single post like this

I have just grown so suspicious of people who come on boards like this and make a single post like this
I'm all over diydrones and this board as well...so I'm on about post 100plus.

I am not sure what you are suspicious about..... This post isn't a phantom vs xxxx post. Type my name in Phantom pilots to see how critical I am the phantom cameras.

I know I know, no one likes the truth, which is actually what I am trying to get at. I don't care that you love your quads. In fact, I am glad you love your quads.

I am just looking for a better tool. As far as durability, and reliability not much beats the phantoms. I have had 3 so far. The two phantoms I never had a problem with, despite what I had read. The Blade had loads of issues.

The gimbal DID take forever to arrive. It came from China.

I wanted 3dr to succeed as much or more than anyone.

I had the Phantom 2 before I went with Solo, so I have been on the Solo bandwagon from the first. With all the delays, and problems in the beginning, I would still order a Solo today over the other quads available, simply for the ability to grow without upgrading my whole setup. Only my opinion, of course. Also, you have to remember that problems you read about are people asking for opinions or help in some way. I am sure there are a lot of people, like myself, who are very happy with Solo and have everything working well, that you don't hear from. Again, just my thoughts.

Reactions: pyrate
I had the Phantom 2 before I went with Solo, so I have been on the Solo bandwagon from the first. With all the delays, and problems in the beginning, I would still order a Solo today over the other quads available, simply for the ability to grow without upgrading my whole setup. Only my opinion, of course. Also, you have to remember that problems you read about are people asking for opinions or help in some way. I am sure there are a lot of people, like myself, who are very happy with Solo and have everything working well, that you don't hear from. Again, just my thoughts.

I downloaded the Tower app and was playing with it. The Litchi app seems to have a lot more features. At least ones easily gotten to.

There is one MAJOR thing I like in the tower app vs the litchi, which is the ability to selectively remove certain waypoints when you make a mistake. On litchi you have to "clear all" and start over again!

By the way, I just did my first long litchi flight yesterday. 12 minutes, and 3.25 miles at 400 feet. I had signal drop out once for about 5 seconds. The Quad kept humming along.

I assume that would be the same scenario on the 3dr solo?

Thanks for the comparison between the Phantom 2 and the Solo. The main reason I am considering one, even over all the bad things I have read is I find the cameras to be sub par, and want my gopros back!

I have to say that I have had SOLO since release date and I can't say I have had any major any issues. After many flight hours since release date it still going strong. It is frustrating and at times disappointing the issues you see or hear about it but all in all I still have high hopes. And to be honest most of the issues I have seen if not all have been human error. I have to be honest and include myself because one of my maiden flights my SOLO crashed out of the air spiraling down to the beach shore. After careful examination I noticed one of my props was gone but the other three were intact, then I remembered that I had the bad habit of not tightening the props enough because I was afraid of breaking them or damaging the prop screws, even when these are self tightening you will still be safe to give it a good tightening touch when installing them. Because the motor pods got sand in them one motor pod had major issues but the other three I cleaned thoroughly and worked fine. I reported it to 3DR and they were outstanding, Customer support shined beautifully. I only communicated with them through email and they always responded. Long story short I informed them what happened and they RMA my SOLO for testing and repairs at no cost to me, to my knowledge they only replaced the one motor pod with issues. They have some minor issues they can improve on but my opinion is that is still a solid drone, kind of a bummer they lowered the price but what the heck no regrets on my part.

I
I have to say that I have had SOLO since release date and I can't say I have had any major any issues. After many flight hours since release date it still going strong. It is frustrating and at times disappointing the issues you see or hear about it but all in all I still have high hopes. And to be honest most of the issues I have seen if not all have been human error. I have to be honest and include myself because one of my maiden flights my SOLO crashed out of the air spiraling down to the beach shore. After careful examination I noticed one of my props was gone but the other three were intact, then I remembered that I had the bad habit of not tightening the props enough because I was afraid of breaking them or damaging the prop screws, even when these are self tightening you will still be safe to give it a good tightening touch when installing them. Because the motor pods got sand in them one motor pod had major issues but the other three I cleaned thoroughly and worked fine. I reported it to 3DR and they were outstanding, Customer support shined beautifully. I only communicated with them through email and they always responded. Long story short I informed them what happened and they RMA my SOLO for testing and repairs at no cost to me, to my knowledge they only replaced the one motor pod with issues. They have some minor issues they can improve on but my opinion is that is still a solid drone, kind of a bummer they lowered the price but what the heck no regrets on my part.

I don't understand why you would have a problem. I spin mine on the phantom, and barely snug them up with my fingers and never had a problem. I did find however when I was using another drone and spin on props that when I didn't snug them up, they spun off when I shut the drone down.

Sadly though, I definitely won't be getting one now as the money situation just changed.... :(

Thanks for all the replies though!

Reactions: pyrate
I

I don't understand why you would have a problem. I spin mine on the phantom, and barely snug them up with my fingers and never had a problem. I did find however when I was using another drone and spin on props that when I didn't snug them up, they spun off when I shut the drone down.

Sadly though, I definitely won't be getting one now as the money situation just changed.... :(

Thanks for all the replies though!
I couldnt understand it first neither but better safe than sorry

Smh so much time wasted on these threads from day one post one folks, it's not really worth more. I'll simply say I got solo day one and everything is original and it flys and films perfectly. Couple minor gps issues week one and basically perfect ever since and features are added for free constantly. Hundreds of flights zero issues, have a p2 as well hundreds of flights very few issues with it either. However there's no comparison in flight characteristics or which is better for aerial photography, so I'll stick with my solo for things I want to remember. Phantoms fun to play with and solos my tool to film with.

There's a money back guarantee as well as a fly away warranty and you don't even have to pay 200 bucks a year for 3dr to back their own product. No reason not to try solo now if your that into your GoPro especially, if not stick with the phantom then buy another one in a couple months to get another feature or two. Fly safe and have fun with whichever you choose.

Reactions: Chuck and pyrate
There is no time wasted. This might be a business for the owners of this forum, but MOST forum members are doing this to pass the time. Depending on your perspective, it may be a waste for you to read it, but I wouldn't say it is a waste.

It is never a waste to post problems you have, or to ask questions.

I DO love my GoPros and think the cameras on the phantoms aren't worth much. It is tough to tell that to a person that isn't a photographer, because they just can't see it. They might know the buzz words like less barrel distortion, and rectilinear lens, but they don't really know that the GoPros have much greater detail, clarity, and dynamic range. They just can't see it with their eyes, or maybe their mind isn't tuned to process it, so the only thing they care about is barrel distortion.

As for me, my money situation has unfortunately changed, so even though it is a great time to buy one, I won't be right now. Perhaps things will change in the future, or perhaps not.

We will see!

Thanks for your post!

Reactions: Adimuzio513
Ditto, had mine since June 25th 2015 and have flown the pants off of it. No big issues to speak of....nothing I couldn't figure out. I got a Phantom a few months prior to getting the Solo and had to replace a motor and ESC after the first month. I still fly both but I do have more confidence in my Solo.
It keeps getting better and better and I feel like that will continue.

There is no time wasted. This might be a business for the owners of this forum, but MOST forum members are doing this to pass the time. Depending on your perspective, it may be a waste for you to read it, but I wouldn't say it is a waste.

It is never a waste to post problems you have, or to ask questions.

I DO love my GoPros and think the cameras on the phantoms aren't worth much. It is tough to tell that to a person that isn't a photographer, because they just can't see it. They might know the buzz words like less barrel distortion, and rectilinear lens, but they don't really know that the GoPros have much greater detail, clarity, and dynamic range. They just can't see it with their eyes, or maybe their mind isn't tuned to process it, so the only thing they care about is barrel distortion.

As for me, my money situation has unfortunately changed, so even though it is a great time to buy one, I won't be right now. Perhaps things will change in the future, or perhaps not.

We will see!

Thanks for your post!

I got to give credit where it's due you actually brought some valid points and experiences in with your post concerning solos issues. Also mentioned some things that aren't great about the phantom as well, I just say waste cause we get new folks in here daily just to argue and put down 3dr or solo to troll more or less. I see this is not you, but they normally have some drawn out bs story having never really flown solo, just phan boys.

Appreciate the posts as well and when your finances allow again don't count solo out. I own a few from both these and other companies and solo wins in most all aspects by a long shot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo