I got to give credit where it's due you actually brought some valid points and experiences in with your post concerning solos issues. Also mentioned some things that aren't great about the phantom as well, I just say waste cause we get new folks in here daily just to argue and put down 3dr or solo to troll more or less. I see this is not you, but they normally have some drawn out bs story having never really flown solo, just phan boys.

Appreciate the posts as well and when your finances allow again don't count solo out. I own a few from both these and other companies and solo wins in most all aspects by a long shot.

I hate fanboys! There are a ton of them over on phantompilots. How dare you say something critical of the phantoms..... There are also fan boys for the gopros, which is also ridiculous!

I try to evaluate everything fairly, and I can say without a doubt the gopros are WAY better!

One phantom fan boy was trying to argue with me about why the go pros aren't better, and I felt i had to put him in his place, because he was saying things that were not true.

You can say " I like the phantom cameras better", but you can NOT say " phantom cameras are just as good as the gopros"

He ended up caving by not directly agreeing to what I said but only stating "I would just rather not have barrel distortion in my videos that I have to deal with rather than worrying about which camera has a better dynamic range" Which is not something I can, or would argue with. To each his own, and that point was valid, where the ones he posted before it, were not....

Of course as I said, you get Go Pro fanboys as well. When the gopro hero 4, black came out, it did NOT live up to the hype.

It had 120 FPS at 1080, but the compression artifacts are crazy. It looks like interpolated video. One person posted what was true, and everyone beat him up over it.

I can't stand that. He was completely right, and made a fair review. The Hero 4 was NOT worth the money, over the Hero 3 black. I was expecting 1080 quality and detail at 120FPS, that is not what we got!

Not a big deal for me, as I got mine on discount, but to be fair, the Hero 4 black did not deliver as promised.

A long winded way to illustrate that I hate zealots no matter what the product. They do more harm than good!

I have been flying DJI with Go-pro for years. You cant control it. but it will shoot fine with Zenmuse.
Solo is the better platform though. There will always be someone who got one that has a few issues. I had a few myself.
Nothing 3DR support couldn't fix. One of the major reasons i switches to 3DR was my Phantom just kept falling to the earth. After changing out pretty much the whole drone i found the issue was the gains in the app were way to high. DJI released an update with bad gains. Cost me over $200 in parts. not to mention my gimbal and gopro took a major hit once or twice.

There is no reason anyone couldn't fly a solo today.

Its a good platform and its getting better all the time.
Lastly if you don't have one. don't rail on it. 90% of the people on here have flown DJI that's why were here. :)

Reactions: Chuck and Rycoh
Hello all. I had been watching the solo from the start, every step of the way, and had been very dissapointed in what I read and watched...

The first issue I saw was that the gimbal was taking FOREVER to come, and when it didn't really work well, I have given up.

Then I found out it was the cables touching inside the quad, and once fixed it did well.

I read many comments about the GPS acquire problems.

I just found this, which really seems to help people.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Now it is really sad that I am reading about motor issues.

I have had a Phantom2 and Phantom 3. Both have well made, quiet, smooth motors. I had a blade 350qx before that, and it sounded like the motors were going to fly apart! I did a video on youtube, showing people how to replace the bearings only to find out it was a motor tolerance issue. This was really sad!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I really miss the clarity, detail, and dynamic range of my gopros, and when the price for the Solo came down to 1000 with gimbal, I was intrigued!

However, all these issues are ridiculous! I really want my GoPros and have always WANTED to stay with an American company, but I got burned with the 350qx.

To see the multiple issues that these quads have is sad. There is no reason 3dr can't do better than this.

Say what you want about DJI(and I have said a lot of bad things about them), their quads are generally spot on.

The phantom 3 has all this awesome control, and has the Litchi tower app, which is really useful.

The downfall of the DJIs is the camera. It just doesn't have it. That is enough to make me want to switch.

GoPros make you feel like you are in the scene. Phantoms just look like you have taken a very soft image or photo, without much detail

I do like that you can change out the whole motor pod on the Solo, without any tools except a screw driver. That is smart! However since it comes with the ESC board as well, it is expensive!

For that expense, it should be made better.

Yes, I have changed a few Phantom 2 motors, but because it had tipped over and burnt the windings, not just because it started to go bad.

If it tips over, if it wrecks into a tree, I have no problem replacing motors. I expect to have to. However, having a sloppy poorly made motor that just goes bad is pathetic.

I want it! I wanted them to succeed! however, these problems are a little ridiculous! Yes they are a small company, but electric motors have been around a LOOOONG time, and they should be able to get it right!

Not trying to trash 3dr, I just wish they would fix this stuff. The motor issue is a hot button with me, as I had had issues in the past, that really irritaged me. I am very used to mods, and comfortable doing them. I don't mind taking the quad apart and fixing things.

What I DO mind is having to spend lots of money modifying this by de-soldering the motors from the ESC and putting motors on from a Chinese factory with better quality control than the one they are currently using.

Like all emerging technology there will be growing pains, and there have been for sure with 3DR but my overall experience with them has a been a positive one.
Besides the recent announcement they no longer have phone support everything has been great.
They replaced any problems I had w the copter, even when it crashed they replaced everthing 100% on them.
For anyone who pre-ordered the first batch of gimbals knows what a mess that was, it was reminiscent of a bad kickstarter
campaign but again growing pains. Ive had 3 gimbals over the course of my ownership of my solo, one was a friends fault and one was again a crash.
But gimbals 2&3 actually worked flawlessly. So while this post of yours seems pretty biased there's more than enough EXPERIENCED people
here who can attest that they love their solo.. hell I know I do.

I have been flying DJI with Go-pro for years. You cant control it. but it will shoot fine with Zenmuse.
Solo is the better platform though. There will always be someone who got one that has a few issues. I had a few myself.
Nothing 3DR support couldn't fix. One of the major reasons i switches to 3DR was my Phantom just kept falling to the earth. After changing out pretty much the whole drone i found the issue was the gains in the app were way to high. DJI released an update with bad gains. Cost me over $200 in parts. not to mention my gimbal and gopro took a major hit once or twice.

Lastly if you don't have one. don't rail on it. 90% of the people on here have flown DJI that's why were here. :)

I hope you aren't telling me to not rail on it.... Firstly, I wasn't, secondly the truth is the truth. There is nothing wrong with a little criticism.

There is a real problem in the RV/Camper world. When you have a problem, you will get lots of zealots telling you it is not big deal. They do a lot of harm and give the industry a break, and allow them to continue to make crap.

It should be consumers against manufacturers to keep them on their toes. The way it is now, all these manufacturers, but a few are making real crap and getting away with it.

I am NOT saying the solo is crap. I am saying though that people trying to stifle peoples legit complaints( and again I wasn't complaining) do a lot of harm to everyone in the hobby!

Part of the problem is crowd mentality.

Like all emerging technology there will be growing pains, and there have been for sure with 3DR but my overall experience with them has a been a positive one.
Besides the recent announcement they no longer have phone support everything has been great.
They replaced any problems I had w the copter, even when it crashed they replaced everthing 100% on them.
For anyone who pre-ordered the first batch of gimbals knows what a mess that was, it was reminiscent of a bad kickstarter
campaign but again growing pains. Ive had 3 gimbals over the course of my ownership of my solo, one was a friends fault and one was again a crash.
But gimbals 2&3 actually worked flawlessly. So while this post of yours seems pretty biased there's more than enough EXPERIENCED people
here who can attest that they love their solo.. hell I know I do.

I appreciated your comment, until you said my post was biased! I hate DJI, but I have to give it to them, they make some solid equipment...

From my experience, and what I have read, they are the most reliable.

Now DJIs customer service SUCKS, but I have also read a LOT of troubling stories about 3DR, and don't try to tell me they don't have issues. For one, you said it yourself. They have no phone support.

You don't see me railing against people who say DJI customer service sucks. It does!

When I got my 350qx there was someone who was sent one for free, and went around trying to bash anyone that had anything critical to say...

Guess what??? That quad had some SERIOUS quality flaws.

I hated my 350 qx, but at least they had consistent good support!

How the hell is my post biased? Seriously! I asked some questions. I pointed to some helpful videos. DID I POST VIDEOS WITH PEOPLE RANTING ABOUT SOLOS?

Seriously, what the hell?

Now again, I am not railing about 3dr, but lets call a spade a spade...

Let me tell you something. Even though I have not yet owned a solo, I have given them PLENTY of support and advertising on my many social media sites.

Now if they come out with something great, and they are not there yet, you nor anyone on here will match my level of enthusiasm, and my level of getting the word out.

NOW I am railing. I wasn't before. It isn't that I think the products is bad, it is that people are trying to cover up the flaws.

Sure it has flaws, but perhaps those flaws can be lived with. Perhaps I could live with them. They are flaws all the same.

sure anyone can claim crowd mentality but when those claims
I appreciated your comment, until you said my post was biased! I hate DJI, but I have to give it to them, they make some solid equipment...

From my experience, and what I have read, they are the most reliable.

Now DJIs customer service SUCKS, but I have also read a LOT of troubling stories about 3DR, and don't try to tell me they don't have issues. For one, you said it yourself. They have no phone support.

You don't see me railing against people who say DJI customer service sucks. It does!

When I got my 350qx there was someone who was sent one for free, and went around trying to bash anyone that had anything critical to say...

Guess what??? That quad had some SERIOUS quality flaws.

I hated my 350 qx, but at least they had consistent good support!

How the hell is my post biased? Seriously! I asked some questions. I pointed to some helpful videos. DID I POST VIDEOS WITH PEOPLE RANTING ABOUT SOLOS?

Seriously, what the hell?

Now again, I am not railing about 3dr, but lets call a spade a spade...

Let me tell you something. Even though I have not yet owned a solo, I have given them PLENTY of support and advertising on my many social media sites.

Now if they come out with something great, and they are not there yet, you nor anyone on here will match my level of enthusiasm, and my level of getting the word out.

NOW I am railing. I wasn't before. It isn't that I think the products is bad, it is that people are trying to cover up the flaws.

Sure it has flaws, but perhaps those flaws can be lived with. Perhaps I could live with them. They are flaws all the same.

First off JRR Tolkien calm down, you're making it a bigger deal than it needs to be.
I dont see you "railing" against DJI support cuz well this isnt a DJI forum so im not sure
why would've expected me to. How can you assume we didnt have the same level of enthusiam as you of "getting the word out."

If anything we were enthused because we actually made a purchase.
LIke I said all emerging tech will have growing pains but for complaining they have them is where it gets a bit silly.

Couldn't agree more!!! I had solo since release and no major issues and customer support Was awsome the times I contacted them.:)

Well said.. We all know the Solo history. I personally think 3DR might have been quick to release the SOLO. But for all its issues they have been pretty good at resolving allot of the problems.
People say the gimbal is crap. I haven't had a lick of problems. My video is stable as ever and i fly with a 5.4 mm lenses on occasion. Say what you want, this is a great system. Like i said in my last post. There is no reason not to own one now. I might have been a bit upset to pre-order and not get my gimbal for a month or so. I think that was a MYBAD on 3DR. But they have been pretty good to live up to there promises over all. And the biggest issue most people had was the price. I gave just over $1400 from B&H for my setup with a gimbal and a spare battery and a backpack case for it.

Not to bad.

Well said.. We all know the Solo history. I personally think 3DR might have been quick to release the SOLO. But for all its issues they have been pretty good at resolving allot of the problems.
People say the gimbal is crap. I haven't had a lick of problems. My video is stable as ever and i fly with a 5.4 mm lenses on occasion. Say what you want, this is a great system. Like i said in my last post. There is no reason not to own one now. I might have been a bit upset to pre-order and not get my gimbal for a month or so. I think that was a MYBAD on 3DR. But they have been pretty good to live up to there promises over all. And the biggest issue most people had was the price. I gave just over $1400 from B&H for my setup with a gimbal and a spare battery and a backpack case for it.

Not to bad.
Heck even Apple has issues on new releases

There's no need to replace the motors at all, there's been virtually no issues with motors, when there have been motor pod failures it's been the ESCs from what I've seen; the motors on Solo are T-Motors and 3DR warranty failures on motor pods so there's no issue anyway, the only issue is if you replace the motors you're simply invalidating the warranty.
Solo don t have sealed bearings in the motor and 3Dr recommends you to change motors after 150 hours. Read you manual. There is a lot of post about bad motors on this forum. My solo runs smooth after 40 hours. After the price drop on Solo I will buy another one to have as a backup.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig