Detaching Gimbal

Reaction score
Afternoon,

I've purchased the Solo and taken it for a successful flight but now I want to detach the pre-installed gimbal so that i can install the kodak SP360 Pixpro rig. Does anyone have any knowledge on how to detach the gimbal so that everything still works properly?

In the Austin, Texas region if anyone knows how to do it.

Hello Alec, I don't mean to be short but did you even google it? I could type it all out or just watch a video or two on how to install one and do it in reverse?

Let me google that for you
Yeah man I appreciate your complete douchebaggery. I already did all that. We get failure to calibrate errors as well as magnetic interference errors. Both messages I've never gotten before.

Does anyone know if having wifi signals around the drone would cause these errors? The two Kodak cameras had their Wifi connectivity on.

Also, after removing the gimbal, do we need to do some other calibration or anything else? It seemed like the copter didn't like that it couldn't detect the gimbal

Any actual constructive suggestions or help is appreciated!

No problem, best compliment of the day. You 1st post came across as someone not even trying to help himself. I now understand you actually removed the gimbal and have errors. Correct? I just unplug mine and everything work. The errors can be generated if close to any type of metal. Have you done a compass calibration again. FYI, more details are always better when looking for an answer as the world if full of DBs like me.

Reactions: SARDG
Okay gotchya. So have you removed the gimbal before and had it work properly without any problems? This drone came with it pre-installed.

No issues taking on and off the gimbal, I've done it more times than I can count. Just take a few photos of the installation as its removed so that when you re-install it goes back the same way - in particular the hdmi cable. If I was to be near Austin in the next week I'd offer, but I'm locked down for a while in Houston.

There is a video showing the installation of the gimbal here somewhere and on 3DR's website.

Last edited:
It's most likely the WiFi on the camera you are using doing it. All the instructions about using the GoPro specifically say to make sure the WiFi is turned off. We can reasonably assume that goes for other cameras that use the same WiFi frequencies we are using to fly the drone. If your kodaks use 5.8 or 2.4 for the WiFi (not bothering to google but guessing 5.8) then yes that is probably where you are getting interference from.

Okay gotchya. So have you removed the gimbal before and had it work properly without any problems? This drone came with it pre-installed.
I have removed and installed the gimbal at least 25 times with no issues except proper cable placement on the re-install

...now I want to detach the pre-installed gimbal so that i can install the kodak SP360 Pixpro rig. Does anyone have any knowledge on how to detach the gimbal so that everything still works properly?

In the Austin, Texas region if anyone knows how to do it.
...FYI, more details are always better when looking for an answer as the world if full of DBs like me.
Yes, always better to ask the right question, to get the right answer.

Reactions: Burkeam
Yeah man I appreciate your complete douchebaggery. I already did all that. We get failure to calibrate errors as well as magnetic interference errors. Both messages I've never gotten before.
Since the last update, I've been getting the magnetic interference error so it doesn't have anything to do with the gimble.

Any actual constructive suggestions or help is appreciated!
When I read your post, it sounded to me like you wanted to know how to remove the gimble which could be easily found with a simple search. If anyone is a douchebag it's you for your reply. Learn how to express your issue properly when asking a question rather than being a jerk when someone is trying to help.

As it was here, seems that frequently by someone's 2nd-ever post, they have already digressed to name-calling. :rolleyes:

Since the last update, I've been getting the magnetic interference error so it doesn't have anything to do with the gimble.

When I read your post, it sounded to me like you wanted to know how to remove the gimble which could be easily found with a simple search. If anyone is a douchebag it's you for your reply. Learn how to express your issue properly when asking a question rather than being a jerk when someone is trying to help.
He's a newbie and surely willing to learn. I'm not holding it against him after all I have been called much worse. Let's continue to coach him and others to become valuable members of this forum.

Reactions: PdxSteve
He's a newbie and surely willing to learn. I'm not holding it against him after all I have been called much worse. Let's continue to coach him and others to become valuable members of this forum.
Well, you certainly took the high road, Burkeam. :cool:

Reactions: Burkeam
You're a better man than I Gunga Din.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rdeeno