Dedicated 3rd Party Lens Discussion (Examples Updated)

Reaction score
I know a lot of people are changing the stock lens. Would it be helpful to have a thread that lists the available replacements and results. Possibly tips and tricks

I have used the Chinese 4.4 and Peau 3.97
Please share your footage and thoughts

Peau 3.97
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ragecam 4.2 lens

Peau 4.35

Chinese 4.4 from Ebay

5.4mm

Last edited:
I'll admit I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to lens filters but I know there are significant advantages. I just don't know exactly what the advantages are and what type lens to consider.

Is that video shot only with the lens? Nothing showing the with/without comparison?

this is not a filter this is a lens replacement, no fish eye look lens. nothing to correct in post that is just how it comes out of the camera

Reactions: Brendon Baddiley
Ahhh...makes sense! Thanks for the clarification! Like I said....mostly clueless :)

I know a lot of people are changing the stock lens. Would it be helpful to have a thread that lists the available replacements and results. Possibly tips and tricks

Just replaced mine with this one
I know the good folks at Peu have some great products too.
Weigh in if you have changed your lens. And what results have you had

Brand New 12MP 4.4mm Rectilinear Lens (no fisheye / distortion) for GoPro Camera
Great Find Pyrate. For those not in a hurry, I thought I would pass this along. It's where the seller is getting his lenses. He even used much of the same ad text.. 12mp 4.4 Lens

Reactions: RolandS888
When you guys change your lens how does it affect balancing in Solo's gimbal? Are you having to add additional weights?

the lenses are pretty much equal in weight maybe a little heavier
the one I put in has a metal body so it is a tad

Heres a quick test I did today with Peau modded Go Pro 4 Black with 5.4mm lense + ND8 filter. Balanced props, hubs and balanced gimbal (added weights to side and back). Just colored in post. Captured @ 2.7K/60fps No post stabilization. I like the results so far.

Has anyone figured out how to correct the pink cast issue in camera without spending a lot of money by paying someone else to do it?

I'd like to be able to understand to return the camera to stock if needed.

Also please mention if any of these alternative lenses will still fit the GoPro waterproof case. I still want to be able to use the GoPro for other things, and not only on the solo.

the lens I have will fit in the water proof housing, the 5.4 will not from my understanding.
I am going to try a trick on the pink. You take a video pointed at an all white surface.
This will reveal the pink. Now use that as an adjustment layer in PP to remove the pink

I feel pretty comfortable I could return mine to stock if I needed to

Reactions: Brendon Baddiley

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo