Dedicated 3rd Party Lens Discussion (Examples Updated)

Heres a quick test I did today with Peau modded Go Pro 4 Black with 5.4mm lense + ND8 filter. Balanced props, hubs and balanced gimbal (added weights to side and back). Just colored in post. Captured @ 2.7K/60fps No post stabilization. I like the results so far.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

thats pretty smooth, are you still running the stock HDMI cable? I have the ribbon now, but honestly think it is motors causing those micro vibrations. I may put my stock cable back

thats pretty smooth, are you still running the stock HDMI cable? I have the ribbon now, but honestly think it is motors causing those micro vibrations. I may put my stock cable back

Yes, Running stock HDMI cable. Just tucked it in as best as I could inside the shell. I use to have really horrible "micro" vibrations before. Tried moon gel and didn't help. I thought there was no way it could be caused by unbalanced props and hubs. Everyone always talked about "jello" problems, but what I was experiencing was pure vibration. When I installed the gimbal, I reset the hdmi cable and made sure it wrapped nicely inside the shell of the Solo. I also decided to balance all my props. (They were all of out of balance). I used JB Weld (Steel Stick) puddy for hubs. I made sure to balance perfectly and the result are pretty awesome. (picture of items used attached. Zoom in on hubs and you can see how badly balanced they were)

PS...I also thought it was a bad motor that was causing the micro vibrations at the time. Especially since I had experienced a crash and busted the prop on the motor. I was 100% sure it was the problem, until I balanced my props and hubs.

Attachments

• prop balancing.JPG
    prop balancing.JPG
    254.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
the lens I have will fit in the water proof housing, the 5.4 will not from my understanding.
I am going to try a trick on the pink. You take a video pointed at an all white surface.
This will reveal the pink. Now use that as an adjustment layer in PP to remove the pink

I feel pretty comfortable I could return mine to stock if I needed to

Actually the Gopro 4 Black / 5.4mm does fit the standard waterproof housing, etc. Peau Productions actually shipped the modded camera w 5.4mm lense in the standard waterproof housing. Makes sense since it gives added protection when shipping :)

I also have Back-Bone Ribcage Modded GoPro 4 Black. This will not fit into standard waterproof housing and will not fit into the Solo Gimbal (which really sucks).

Reactions: pyrate
the lens I have will fit in the water proof housing, the 5.4 will not from my understanding.
I am going to try a trick on the pink. You take a video pointed at an all white surface.
This will reveal the pink. Now use that as an adjustment layer in PP to remove the pink

I feel pretty comfortable I could return mine to stock if I needed to

Yes, fixing this in PP is always an option, but I'd like to get it fixed in the camera to save steps and to eliminate the default lens correction, which isn't correct for an aftermarket lens.

Well it turns out there is a way to turn off the OEM lens profile in a file called config.txt that is part of the firmware
problem is unpacking the firmware making he change and then repacking the update
the key is CONFIG_LENS_OEM = y

Reactions: rtbradstrum
Pyrate,

Be careful Man. You remind me of me. Don't just do it because you can. I'd be real careful with messing with these params just yet. There seems to be a few on this board that understands them. I'd wait it out a bit if I were you. But then again, I aint you, do your thing! Just let us know how it went afterwards.

Jerry

Posted this vid before but here is a RageCam 5.4mm 1080p @ 60fps, stock HDMI with sticky tape on props to balance them.

Reactions: pyrate and J R
on the pink tinge, Instead of a picture where the pink was most notable I took a quick video of a white board in my office shooting in my preferred mode 2.7k 60 protune gopro color off and white balance native. No wonder I could not see the pink in the video. for now I am not going any further down that rabbit hole. Going back to motors and props to smooth out remaining vibes

I color grade my video anyway, this does not appear to be a big challenge given all the benefits of the lens

How much of the picture do you lose with that lense? Have you done a side by side? I was really interested in removing the fisheye from the 4k/30fps, which is primarily what I shoot in.

I saw this side/side comparison of a 5.4 in a gopro and while the image is so much nicer, you lose a heck of a lot of the FOV

Reactions: DroneNerd702
you lose less FOV on the 4.3 4.4 versions, that is why that new option is growing in popularity
it is closer to the stock FOV while retaining the flat look

Here's a quick clip with the Rage Cams 4.2mm on a Hero 4 Black. Please excuse the micro vibrations. Have a motor pod going bad and have not balanced props yet. Overall very pleased with this lens. I was worried about the pink bars ive seen in so many other Rage Cams vids. Does not seem to be an issue with this one. Also this is with the Gopro set to wide. No props or landing gear in view!

you lose less FOV on the 4.3 4.4 versions, that is why that new option is growing in popularity
it is closer to the stock FOV while retaining the flat look

Pyrate,

Put the 4.4 on my Hero 4 black this morning. Boy did I tear the stock lens up. Only got to do one test run, looked pretty good and I didn't see any pink but I think I picked up the micro vibes again! Can't be sure just yet, have to do some more tests. Maybe tomorrow. I did put it on wide FOV and didn't get props or legs.

Jerry

Pyrate,

Put the 4.4 on my Hero 4 black this morning. Boy did I tear the stock lens up. Only got to do one test run, looked pretty good and I didn't see any pink but I think I picked up the micro vibes again! Can't be sure just yet, have to do some more tests. Maybe tomorrow. I did put it on wide FOV and didn't get props or legs.

Jerry

Is there any noticeable drop in image quality with the lens replacement? I assume it was easy to do the swap?

Is there any noticeable drop in image quality with the lens replacement? I assume it was easy to do the swap?

Norman,

I pretty much do all of my own mechanical work and a lot of the minor electronic stuff. I watched 10 videos before proceeding. Last one was a woman at her kitchen table with a pair of pliers. I must have been really off yesterday morning because I totally hosed mine up! My original lens was glued in there so tight that I tore it up badly. I could not get it out. Cussing and swearing at the lady in the video didn't help either! Wifey stayed in the other room!

I ended up taking the whole camera apart to get it out. It must have been me and my camera because there are a dozen or more YouTube videos showing people taking these things right out.

Quality-wise, I don't know yet. I only did one clip so far. I put my ND8 filter on and got some blue reflections/dots when pointed towards the sun. Pulled the ND8 and replaced with an ND4 and the blue was gone, so it could have been a dirty filter. I also noticed a darker spot in the lower left corner of the frame. It's possible that in my state of utter digust and rage over the install that I didn't clean everything up as I should have. I plan on doing that today.

If I get to do some further testing today, I'll post the results here.

Jerry

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea