Dedicated 3rd Party Lens Discussion (Examples Updated)

Jim, I like the birdsong in that clip. this lens looks like it just screws in, however,JR says otherwise. any one else who has done the swap have input on the porcedure?

Reactions: Jim.....
Okay, here's my take on this particular 4.4mm lens. Not for me. Makes some awesome shots with no fisheye and great focus if you are pointed away from the sun with a good ND8PL filter. Awesome shots! Turn towards the sun and it's the exact opposite. Crappy and a lot of imperfections. Blue dots and blue circles start showing up quite frequently and everything gets quickly washed out. I may be able to post clips later but only have an 8-10Mbs internet connection out here in the boonies so I can only do uploads in the wee hours of the morning.

I'm going to move on to the Peau lenses (Camera Lenses – Peau Productions). Based on advice from others (Earl?) and a premium price tag, they sound like a much better option. Will post here with any new findings.

Jerry

Reactions: pyrate
Jim, I like the birdsong in that clip. this lens looks like it just screws in, however,JR says otherwise. any one else who has done the swap have input on the porcedure?
I was lucky, stock lens just screwed out after the glue let go. (I let it warm a while) New lens screwed in and a quick focus and all was good to go.

Jerry,

Thank you for your helpful reply! I tend to do my own mechanical work also, but when it comes to things dealing with optics, I am more cautious (I'd hate to ruin my GoPro in some way, though I know it's not likely). That's terrible that you really had to fight to get your lens out. At least your wife didn't hear the full fury :).

I'm definitely interested in your findings. Thank you in advance!

Norman

Reactions: J R
The difference is amazing!!! Until I saw your video I didn't realize how bad the fish eye really is. Nice to see a level horizon. One question how hard was it to change the lens? And how long did it take you? I would like to be able to switch them back and forth as the original is great for non aerial shots

Okay, here's my take on this particular 4.4mm lens. Not for me. Makes some awesome shots with no fisheye and great focus if you are pointed away from the sun with a good ND8PL filter. Awesome shots! Turn towards the sun and it's the exact opposite. Crappy and a lot of imperfections. Blue dots and blue circles start showing up quite frequently and everything gets quickly washed out. I may be able to post clips later but only have an 8-10Mbs internet connection out here in the boonies so I can only do uploads in the wee hours of the morning.

I'm going to move on to the Peau lenses (Camera Lenses – Peau Productions). Based on advice from others (Earl?) and a premium price tag, they sound like a much better option. Will post here with any new findings.

Jerry

Let me know what you think after you get the Peu in. I did some shooting this weekend and used an ND4 filter on an overcast day. It was pretty sharp before I put a filter on it, after the filter seemed to soft. Maybe should have used a polarizer instead. After replacing the pods my video was almost completely vibration free and according the release notes on the next firmware I am going to hold my set up until after the release

Let me know what you think after you get the Peu in.

Pyrate,

I took some test clips this morning with the new 4.4mm lens and just the PL filter. Everything seemed worse with the ND8, ND8PL and the ND4. I cleaned up the lens and filter and gave it another go. I'm processing the clip now but might take a while to upload. Some shots are great others are awful. I'll post it as soon as I can get it uploaded.

Jerry

Okay, here's the test clips with the 4.4mm lens and a PL filter. Other filters made things worse. Notice the quick change in colors and the blue dot and reflections. Everything was cleaned prior to making these clips. It was a little windy but a nice bright morning. Have a new Peau 4.3mm on order, will test when I receive it.

Jerry

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

yeah did not try the PL filter
lens looks great with no filter but the ND4 made it real soft

Wow, I've been looking for a thread like this for weeks! I have a GPH4 Black with a nick in the lens (horse show victim) so need to replace it for my Solo. I've heard that using a 4.4, 5.4 etc. can magnify vibrations and shaking due to the zoom. Please keep this going as I'd like to make a decision on the right path to take. OEM or aftermarket?

I've added a LUT I'm using which takes the magenta off the highlights which helps remove the lens profile (only if you darken the image a lot will it start to show again), it's in the files section here.

[NOTE: now also attached in the post further down this thread]

Last edited:
Here, unzip it. You can use the attached LUT in Adobe Lumetri, or any editing software that uses .cube LUTs.

Also if you want to try making your own LUTs in Photoshop, here's how to do it:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

In summary my LUT, brings up saturation to a fairly natural level, in the highlights it brings down magenta and brings up the green slightly. With Protune video it seems to tame the lens profile without having a noticeable adverse effect on the sky (which is the area the lens profile was always more noticeable).

Attachments

• GoPro - Protune Natural LUT v0.2.zip
    2 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
4.4 12MP? or 10MP?
not that it will matter much sense the LUT should be fine for both just curious

The description simply says it's a 4K resolution lens. It's sharp enough I know that much.

Yeah I designed the LUT with it being a generic correction so it wouldn't matter which lens or which resolution was being used. It might not be perfect for all situations but I think it should be an improvement.

The 4.4mm, I'm assuming it's the same as the 4.35?

I'm hoping the optic qualities of the Peau are better. I've read that there can be quite a bit of difference in these lenses based on who manufactured it. I am running down uncharted waters though as I don't know much about this stuff. Just looking for the best "out of camera" image that I can achieve without the fisheye.

Jerry

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela