Controller will not power off, no WiFi from Solo

I ended up removing the battery from the controller for about 10 minutes and after I plugged it back in and powered on the controller it started working.

What else is weird is I'm no longer getting the level calibration errors anymore.

Reactions: Raybro
Just got mine today, after unpacking, i tried to connect to os/android - nothing. In the back i can only see SOLID RED light is on. I ordered mine on BH, it will take another week or more for me to return it and buy new one. Looks like they got a batch of this bad product. hopefully wont be same story with gimbals

Good news! Hope it will help someone else:

Update: After taking apart remote (5 screws) there i saw just RED light, constant on. So i unplugged wifi card, plugged in battery and it seemed it did some kind of trick. i plugged in all connections back and everything works like it should. Its ether loose connection or something else to do with WiFi card in remote. Good luck. Thanks for previous post, that helped alot! :)

Reactions: Benzo
Good news! Hope it will help someone else:

Update: After taking apart remote (5 screws) there i saw just RED light, constant on. So i unplugged wifi card, plugged in battery and it seemed it did some kind of trick. i plugged in all connections back and everything works like it should. Its ether loose connection or something else to do with WiFi card in remote. Good luck. Thanks for previous post, that helped alot! :)
Easy fix. Glad you got it working!

just as a note the buttons stick as well so make sure that your buttons are not stuck, as i had this prob.

Hi, I just received a new Solo today. Application on my Samsung shows System Up To Date. Controller is however stuck with Original message Preflight Update. Also, there is no Solo's WiFi to be seen in order to do any updates. In addition I can not (Do not know how to ) turn off the controller. Nice start of a new relationship. Can anyone help?

Old thread, but i just received mine yesterday and have same controller problem. Take the battery off still no luck. I'm thinking about returning the package..or any other idea beside opening the controller ?

Old thread, but i just received mine yesterday and have same controller problem. Take the battery off still no luck. I'm thinking about returning the package..or any other idea beside opening the controller ?
Hi All, I have configured over 15 SOLO's and just encountered this problem for the first time! I took the controller apart and unscrewed the four screws holding the pcb, behind it is the WiFi card, one of the antenna plugs was loose, its covered in goo, but I pushed both and one clicked home! Now it works!
Thanks for the posts, as this helped me determine the problem and gave me the confidence to take the controller apart, if you decide to do this, I had to unplug several wires in order to seperate thr two halves enough to access the controller pcb.
best of luck.

Hi All, I have configured over 15 SOLO's and just encountered this problem for the first time! I took the controller apart and unscrewed the four screws holding the pcb, behind it is the WiFi card, one of the antenna plugs was loose, its covered in goo, but I pushed both and one clicked home! Now it works!
Thanks for the posts, as this helped me determine the problem and gave me the confidence to take the controller apart, if you decide to do this, I had to unplug several wires in order to seperate thr two halves enough to access the controller pcb.
best of luck.
Good find! I'd reanchor it with hot glue too (pry off all old stuff first). You really don't want that coming off in flight and it doesn't take much to pop them off if they aren't really cemented in there. A hard landing or crash could potentially make it pop off again.

best of luck.
Thanks, i returned mine to local SOLO distributor. And they send me a new set of SOLO as replacement. What a great after sales service !!.

Having the very same problem. My used solo works great but the new one... The Controller won't pair with the Solo and the Controller will not power off. I'm in South America and can't send it back, will this procedure void My warranty?

And any more information on how to perform this procedure would be great... Thank you for any and all serious answers.

PS: Normally, I vet gear to the extreme before I leave for a job... Especially overseas but work has been insane the past 8 weeks and this is My Feature so I won't fire myself just yet. ;)

Did you do a factory reset on the Solo AND the Controller? May not be necessary on the Solo itself, but check the total factory reset instructions here:
Factory Reset | 3DR - Drone & UAV Technology

3DR recommends AGAINST doing a factory reset unless they tell you to. Personally, I would never hesitate to perform a factory reset if I were otherwise stumped - and I have. You will have to create some of your settings and possibly update again.

Did you do a factory reset on the Solo AND the Controller? May not be necessary on the Solo itself, but check the total factory reset instructions here:
Factory Reset | 3DR - Drone & UAV Technology

3DR recommends AGAINST doing a factory reset unless they tell you to. Personally, I would never hesitate to perform a factory reset if I were otherwise stumped - and I have. You will have to create some of your settings and possibly update again.

Copy that. I was hoping to avoid that but will do so when I get back from shooting tonight... Would love it if this solves the problem and it's not a hardware issue.

Thank you for your response and I will keep everyone posted.

Cheers guys... I do appreciate the information.

Copy that. I was hoping to avoid that but will do so...
Also, it seems I've read on this forum that some folks have had problems with sticky buttons on the controller. Might want to check and be certain that none are sticking down and that you hear 2-way 'clicks' (down/up) when pushed.

Hey there,

I also found that the backpack case for the solo actually compresses the sides of the controller. This pushes the shiny black plastic upward and stops the buttons from being as free as they should. Pushing in the middle of the controller frees the buttons but is concerning when you are in flight.

The Buttons don't stick (thanks again for the info) and the up and the total factory reset did not work either.... Will submit a ticket and see if they will let me tear the controller apart to see if the wifi card is hooked up or not.

Thanks again for all the tips and help. Will keep the board posted...

Cheers from Brazil!

Some folks found a loose Micro SD card in the controller that had to be reseated and re-hot-glued. I've forgotten what the symptoms were for that problem. You might search the forum...

Your gig will be over before you get this issue fixed...

Some folks found a loose Micro SD card in the controller that had to be reseated and re-hot-glued. I've forgotten what the symptoms were for that problem. You might search the forum...

Your gig will be over before you get this issue fixed...

Copy that. I feel that the loose Micro SD Card or a loose connection is the issue, the symptoms fit what's going on with My system. Btw, I have a second system here that is working great...

Off top: I am currently in Brazil wrapping up an experimental Doc on Architecture and will be here into September. I am the EP/DP of this Film and wanted to test these little bastards while I was down here... If this Film was not My Own, I would never bring un-tested gear to a hot set. Didn't want people to think that I roll like that...

Thank you SARDG for all the advice... Will file a ticket and get their permission to crack open the controller. Will keep people posted at some point during the week when I have a break in my shooting schedule.

Cheers and thanks everyone for the help.

...Btw, I have a second system here that is working great...

Off top: I am currently in Brazil wrapping up an experimental Doc on Architecture and will be here into September. I am the EP/DP of this Film and wanted to test these little bastards while I was down here... If this Film was not My Own, I would never bring un-tested gear to a hot set. Didn't want people to think that I roll like that...
Benzo- If you have a second system with you, and 'assuming' there is nothing wrong with either Solo - only the one controller - you can use the working controller for 2 different Solos. You will simply have to pair each Solo with the one controller as you use it. Solo calibrations are stored on each Solo and Stick calibration is stored in the controller so neither even have to be recalibrated... simply paired as needed. Anyway, that gives you a backup plan if the second controller isn't immediately fixable. And it gives you use of the 2 birds if they are rigged somewhat differently.

So, is anything on this shoot going to end up on TV for the Olympics? I'll be looking at the credits for your name... ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig