Compression versus Tension - Gimbal

It made sense at the time
Still makes sense, when your 3DR HDMI going bad & need to replace. I have the later ver. HDMI Flat cable V3 by Relish.
It seems the fit better"Click" & easier to manage "No contortion", but as a answer to micro Vibrations, I think this thread is more on track.

that version 3 was my second one
it had immediate video feed issues
Went to take it out to check connections and the end fell off
Applied for an RMA and never heard a thing

Nah it dont make sense to me anymore

Rich work encroached on my flying today so I did not get to go.
Thinking more about that spacing, I might pull it back apart and check my install again. Is your spacing around the yaw motor to the PC board normal after your install? My spacing distance is quite a bit more which makes me want to go back and have another look

The mod shouldn't offset the center-line of the yaw motor by any means. Sounds like either the mod'd isolators collapsed under the additional weight or the HDMI cable is pushing the gimbal forward.

Well I am grounded
when checking my install heard something rattling around in solo got to looking and found my GPS battery had come off the board
3DR is stepping up and taking care of me, but most likely will not get to try it until next Friday, as I am in Atlanta on business starting Tuesday

First time I've heard of the GPS battery coming loose. So if 3DR is doing something to help it must be beyond a simple repair @pyrate? Can you post a picture? Something I might add to my maintenance list to check out sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure, not the first time I have heard about it. Also have heard of just one side coming loose

First my Apologies to Rich for taking so long to get to this. That GPS failure on solo 1 created a mess a couple days before heading out on vacation. In a panic I grabbed solo 2 for 599 in case I could not get 1 back in the air before leaving. Ultimately the parts got here but the vacation train was rolling. So I left solo 1 with the broken GPS and the gimbal mod at home.

Now that I have had some time to get back to the real world I have solo 1 up and running. So it was test time. First a bit about the a mix of 1 and 2 that I will fly most of the time.

Solo is stock with the exception of T-Motors Including fully shielded HDMI and Data Gimbal cables.
The gimbal mod was installed, and was very easy.
Solo has been upgraded to Rev B GPS and Shield from 3DR
Gimbal is carrying a GPH4 Black with Peau 3.97 lens and PolarPro ND Filter. I have it balanced withn an IMP productions balance kit. GImbal is balanced perfectly but heavier than stock.

Running on Android 2.3 and Frimware 2.4 (did not do calibrations after update and bird drifts and is twitchy, you can see weird gimbal behavior in the video) will be doing full calibrations prior to next test.

Conditions were very windy and I was flying on Medium speed and gimbal. Not sure if it was the wind or calibrations. but there were a couple times solo literally convulsed in the air. You can see those and no gimbal would fix that. So basically this was and acid test for this mod and gimbal. Wind was reported at 15mph but check out the trees, I think it was more.

The video is still processing and I will post untouched and unedited.

My thoughts
I like it, I like it a lot. In these crazy conditions the video was better on hole than I normally get during a traditional shoot.
The mod appears to be more effective during aggressive flight than hover flight. So for you folks who like fast action this is your mode.

I would imagine on more suitable days with a properly calibrated solo hover would have been fine. There are hover shots in the video that are totally usable.

Was amazed at the orbit in this video with the crosswinds blowing I could normally never make a full radius orbit without that one spot where the wind hint the gimbal just right and spoiled it. The closing shot where I am coming in solo was everywhere in the sky, but video looked great.

the end was a quick Multipoint as I was running out of battery.

Honestly I have spent a ton of money (ribbon cables, motors) trying to reduce vibes. Judging by this very limited test, this is as effective as anything I have done so far.
Would I pay for it? Considering I paid for two ribbon cables and had to jettison those, then Yes. If I had to chose between this and a ribbon I would chose this.

If you ever decide to sell them let me know I will buy a second set.

Where am I going from here.
Tomorrow I need to get my x8 back in the air, so I am going to take solo along. This test was done in my neighborhood. I don't really like flying here.
So tonight I will be performing all the calibrations on solo, and possibly stripping my HDMI and Data Cables.
The problem is wind is not supposed to go down through the weekend and it is at the century mark temp wise here in Texas.

Stand by for video

Reactions: RichWest
Dang it
for some reason speed was checked on my gopro studio and I am having to redo
Might not be until tomorrow morning
getting up early to fly before the solar storm
Hopefully the video will be ready to upload in the morning

Just so you know, the mod tends to improve as it breaks-in or settles together... Aggressive flying will speed up the process... Anyway, hope it works for you.

Here's some video I shot today, been wanting to get video near downtown for a while. Rare that we have days without haze with all the humidity. I'd like to capture from the East side of downtown with the sunrise someday soon.

I'm no photog, so color and other aspects could be improved upon...in the right hands. The main idea here is that video is not stabilized in post. Viewing within Vimeo seems better and at a higher reso...

My truck said the temp was 100, so I'm sure Solo was hotter.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Mine is uploading that video is sweet. No post stabilized at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is awesome, the only shake I saw at all was the video stutter from streaming, I am sure raw on a local machine that is butter

Might add these as suggested by a couple veterans
When going with softer modded balls, there is an increased risk of the balls dislodging during a hard landing.

Apparently from back in the day when phantoms used very soft rubber
13502807_10154553247651756_8165031260206712320_o.jpg

OK here is my totally raw video of first flight
you can find vibes if you look for them, but in these conditions I would not have even tried before

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks for the video test, it appears the install went well. Never said it was perfect, but I can tell from the video your results are similar to my raw footage. Really great to see another comparison video other than mine. With a little post editing I'm sure you'll be impressed further. Again thanks for trying the mod.

Regarding the DJl type drop pins, that's the whole point of the Solo gimbal in compression, we don't need those pins. Further it is believed that the pins induce vibration when they are installed on the tension style gimbals. Whoever the "veterans" are should walk the plank, they are smoking rope...;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44