Compression versus Tension - Gimbal

I totally support your efforts, but you've put a lot of work into this for awhile now, and I wonder if it's time to consider a look at software stabilization.

I have a stock Solo - doesn't even have the leg extenders. Its pretty smooth as is... but it's so easy to stabilize in software, and the results are so good, that I always do it.

View attachment 3912
Good Morning Mr. Pyrate
Thanks for updating all of us with your testing.
i know your using the famous Peau 3.97mm, I'm looking at you video, cause i'm debating to upgrade my 3.80.
Most of your video sold me to upgrade, but this one part of the vid?. can you tell me if this street has curvature in it? or lens distortion?
street is curved

You're right again, I should look into it. I appreciate you saying such.
Well if you do, I might be able to help. Certain types of stabilization work better than others. A smooth craft + an ND filter + software stabilization = the best combo in my opinion.

Smooth Craft:
You've definetly got a smooth craft at this point (as do a lot of folks who've followed you on here).

ND Filter:
An ND filter is the only way to trick the GoPro into slowing down shutter speed to get motion blur. EV_Comp is applied AFTER shutter speed has been calculated by the GoPro. It's still useful if your still getting blown out whites.

Software Stabalization:
Video stabilization for problem areas and as a final polish to eliminate vibrations the human eye may not catch on a small screen. Most software that does color correction also has Stabalization features of some kind, so do them together. I prefer to stabilize AFTER color correction (specifically after adjusting exposure).

Last edited:
Witch software stabilization you use other than prodrenalin.
In my opinion Prodrenalin is destroy the video ( I do not know why but is a big diference between original and prodrenalin )

Witch software stabilization you use other than prodrenalin.
In my opinion Prodrenalin is destroy the video ( I do not know why but is a big diference between original and prodrenalin )
I've heard good things about Prodrenalin, but I use warp stabilizer in Adobe. Or in Final Cut I use their built in Stabalization, where I find the "inertia cam" option works best on Solo's Cable Cams (rather than "smooth cam").

For quick and easy Stabalization of most drone flights, especially cable cam, I default to Inertia Cam in Final Cut, even if I'm just going to export all the files over to edit in Adobe. But if it's tricky, then warp stabilizer in Adobe.

I shot these two videos recently.

This first video was a calm day. I pulled it into FinalCut on a MacBook, tweaked exposure, and ran a light Stabalization pass on "automatic." - Good enough for a family fun video. If I wanted to make it super smooth I'd have forced Final Cut to use Inertia Cam. I wouldn't even need to go into Adobe's Warp Stabalizer.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

On this next video it was super windy. Way out of spec for what the Solo should fly. Just check out the huge gusts of wind in the trees. On this one I did take the extra step to choose the Inertia Cam method of Stabalization (in Final Cut). But i didnt bother to tweak the strength or anything. I know from experience I can get this shot, even in these winds. I would want to capture a few takes of course, but I'm confident I could nail it perfectly smooth with one of the takes using warp stabilizer in Adobe. This was good enough for a family fun video though.

Reactions: Solo Keith
Again just a share of a comparison video using EV Comp as a tool. I'm fairly certain a polarizing filter would have been appropriate, but don't have one yet and it was not the complete purpose for the orbits.

In certain maneuvers the new inserts perform better. The EV adjustment was to see how good, if any improvements, based on three separate flights. The graphic details that revealed on the float was interesting, among other things, as the EV got to -1.0 in the mid day Texas sun. I've read that a CP will provide an equivalent to an ND2 filter, I think it would offer the correct amount of motion blurr based on these semi-raw videos, sharpened only in post.

Was this test performed w/out the gimbal?

Was this test performed w/out the gimbal?
Huh? Did you see that much vibration in the video?

It was shot using your old gimbal. I'm actually testing temperature tolerant inserts, the blue foam inserts I sent you will start to stiffen in temps below 50F. Just like foam ear plugs that people have been using, fwiw.

I don't see any vibes. Was asking because initially the test was done with just the stationary GP frame. Right?

I have never used the the GP fixed frame for any videos shot, all aerial videos were recorded using the gimbal. I think what you've mis-interpreted from the mod video was the use of the "the GP frame" to show the installation of the isolators and foam. Using an actually gimbal in that mod video would have been difficult for me to show the installation and then the movement of the isolators, since it is much more bulky than "the frame" assembly.

If I was marketing or selling a product, a better representative mod video would have been produced. My apologies for the mis-representation in the mod video using just the frame. I did clarify it's usage in the post for the mod and from questions thereafter.

I think you should run a premium service. Send in a stock Solo and you'll send it back modded. I'd pay up for it.

Reactions: Solo Keith
I have never used the the GP fixed frame for any videos shot, all aerial videos were recorded using the gimbal. I think what you've mis-interpreted from the mod video was the use of the "the GP frame" to show the installation of the isolators and foam. Using an actually gimbal in that mod video would have been difficult for me to show the installation and then the movement of the isolators, since it is much more bulky than "the frame" assembly.

If I was marketing or selling a product, a better representative mod video would have been produced. My apologies for the mis-representation in the mod video using just the frame. I did clarify it's usage in the post for the mod and from questions thereafter.
@RichWest You didn't misrepresent the mod. I think I may have blown through the video initially and wasn't paying attention. Damn A D D!!! This mod has been the best one that I have done to Solo for video vibe elimination. And of course, the T-Motor's you built for me

Reactions: RichWest
Sorry to revive a 6 month old thread, but looks very promising. Has anybody found a new source for stock isolators or good generic replacement?

They are discontinued at the various locations I've checked (bhphoto, etc.

I would hope that 3DR still has some, you may need to chat with them to confirm. Don't you have a big box of parts to pick from...?

The only confirmed alternative isolator used was a HobbyKing brand being red and were cylinder shaped. The user said they didn't work any better than stock...maybe worse, I can't recall.

From other threads, others mention trying alternative isolators, but then no follow up or any example to demonstrate results.

I totally support your efforts, but you've put a lot of work into this for awhile now, and I wonder if it's time to consider a look at software stabilization.

I have a stock Solo - doesn't even have the leg extenders. Its pretty smooth as is... but it's so easy to stabilize in software, and the results are so good, that I always do it.

What software do you use to stabilize video???

Rich, plenty of parts, but nothing with fresh rubber. New stock isolators are like gold...
I bought 10 sets of isolators back when B&H sold them online. In my experience the isolators break in fairly quickly, 1-2 hours worth of flight time as they become consistent to vibes exhibited. So known used isolators should be usable.

Normal flight doesn't degrade them further or make them softer beyond break in. Truly a subjective opinion on my part, that's with many hours of flight time and testing.

Having said that, crashing a bird hard will stress the isolators. Example would be that an isolator has pulled off either mounting hole due to the crash. At that point replacement should be done.

At this time I work from two gimbals and three sets of isolators, makes the task of testing easier and it allows some confirmation to duplicate results as things are changed.

I'll continue to work on the hardware side, as I enjoy the challenge and what I've learned from the experience. But in general, stabilizing video in post is the final fix based on other people's examples. Doesn't hurt to start processing with stable video though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc