Compression versus Tension - Gimbal

Yeah Rich that video is not only very raw but if you notice the tilt on the gimbal in places my gimbal needed calibration.
I am willing to bet that now that those calibrations have been done it will perform even better. I got up at 6 this morning hoping to get calm flying conditions but alas it is like flying in a tropical storm up here.

So stay tuned.
I will say this, I could not have gotten a single bit of usable video in these conditions before. Specifically impressed with the orbit. No way that would have happened before and you can hear the wind beating on it

Reactions: SurfnSkate81
The horizon shift is in the software, I experienced the same. It does level off, but its a little slow in correcting. Its an obvious attempt by engr to mitigate vibration with the original setup. Only so much software can do, then reveals when the hardware is changed.

Here's to others having a try at the mod and have similar results.

Got to fly it again this morning, considering that I have no other countermeasures excep T motors on this solo this thing is solid now.
You can still get an occasional jitter but man, I like it.

Going to do solo 2 as well.
I think I am going to go ahead and strip my HDMI cable, just don't want to put a ribbon back in with all the trouble I have had with them.

Thank you for working on this

It is actually surprising how well it works, considering how simple an idea it is to implement. Like I've said it's not perfect, but I do believe it could be improved upon. Just need more feed back by example videos to dial in where to correct.

I think I am going to go ahead and strip my HDMI cable,

As an alternative, may I suggest....Macro vibe reduction?

How the heck did I miss that one.
Is that how you are flying now?
Sounds like a better option than stripping the cable. HDMI cables are notoriously finicky
This morning I found out something about 2.4 and all the weird calibration settings. When I flew first round I took off my polar pro filter because it was sort of overcast and early in the morning (low light) and forgot to take off my balance kit. My gimbal was totally wonked out. So I landed and took the balance kit off, no help. Did a level calibration with out kit and filter and everything went back to normal

I managed, the vibration was gone! Thanks RichWest!
I have done on this sample
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: RichWest
I managed, the vibration was gone! Thanks RichWest!
Dmitry, I'm thrilled you were able to produce the mod and it worked. Out of everyone here, I knew you could mod a solution with available tools and from this simple video. No language barrier when it's just a visual example.

I look forward to seeing more videos showing off your beautiful country...

PSA - Just for the record I went out and bought a crap load of isolation balls....not one of them will fit the Solo's Gimbal. If you're in the market, don't waste your time on name brand isolators, as they are too small for the gimbal's mounting holes.

DJI-H43D-part3 DJI H4-3D Damping Rubber part 3 1
DJI-ZH3-P42 DJI Part42. ZH3-3D Damping Rubber 1
R250-Z-08 Walkera Runner 250 Damping ball 1
YUNCGO2GB101 Yuneec Rubber Dampers (8 pieces): CGO2-GB 1
MJ280-0024 Aerialfreaks Camera Damperner Set - VECTOR 250 / MOJO 280 1

The Solo gimbal needs isolators that are designed for 9mm hole. I haven't found anything yet.... Anyone else find a suitable alternative?

Still going to try a few to see what happens....

EDIT to Add: It was a compulsive purchase. I was already buying thrust washers and cir-clips from the same dealer, so figured what the hell...didn't research properly.

Have you tried the zeal gel pack?

Have you tried the zeal gel pack?
Nope, no technical data to back up what it does or doesn't do... So you've applied and are able to reduce your vibes? Love to see a video example....

Sorbathane is the champion of viscoelastic materials in every respect, the key is its available to us mortals with tech-data.

Tried MoonGel based on a recommendation here, long term it's a flop.

Rich got a chance to fly in almost perfect conditions tonight, low light at sunset.
Man solid
Processing, its boring but stable as heck

Doing the same now... Did more testing today, we had a breeze, so it helped my efforts to tune further. Also set the camera to PT-Flat with -0.5 EV about mid day, really interesting results.

Would there be any benefit to stabilize in post with the results you're getting now? I've never stabilized video before, so I have no clue what can be done with software.

I know folks who stabilize everything
Mercalli products or Adobe Warp Stabilizer are the tools I use when I need to

I would not bother with what I got last night

Doing the same now... Did more testing today, we had a breeze, so it helped my efforts to tune further. Also set the camera to PT-Flat with -0.5 EV about mid day, really interesting results.

Would there be any benefit to stabilize in post with the results you're getting now? I've never stabilized video before, so I have no clue what can be done with software.
I should have taken my frame rate down but it was a last minute call to put it up fast

Rather than make you set through the entire 11 minutes of bad video because my frame rate was too high for the low light. I just did the end,. Great conditions, there we a little vibration in the first part where it was in a return to home, as soon as I got Fly back it settled out. No post stabilization
the last 30 seconds or so is a fast descent on a path from about 230 feet very smooth

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

the stock 3dr dampeners on B&H is that the gimbal one or the one on the fixed gopro mount that came with the solo? I heard the fixed mount dampeners are stiffer

the stock 3dr dampeners on B&H is that the gimbal one or the one on the fixed gopro mount that came with the solo? I heard the fixed mount dampeners are stiffer
The ones sold at B&H are the gimbal dampeners.

Honestly I can't remember if the fixed frame dampeners are the same or not. It's been a while since my frame was stock, I'd have to look back at my notes to confirm otherwise.

Last edited:
I think you 3.97 is out of focus?
I did not sharpen or mess with that. The lens is normally very sharp, I think the low light high frame rate just got soft in gopro.
Should have set it back to 24 or 30 frames.

Operator error

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig