Brand New Gimbal - Bad First Flight out of the box

Reaction score
Literally just picked up a brand new gimbal from Best Buy after seeing the posts that it was available in some stores. Drove from Austin to Waco and back to get it.

Got it home, installed it without any issues. Took it out for a test flight and right after it left the ground the camera pitched to the right for a few seconds then returned, so I thought...Ok, maybe nothing. Then I applied power and started off and then again, that same pitch to the right. Then once more.

So those horror stores from everyone experiencing issues right off the bat....confirmed. I'm one of the victims. I've already opened a ticket with 3DR and sent the attached video for their viewing pleasure. UGH....not a happy camper.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Michael Stevenson
Literally just picked up a brand new gimbal from Best Buy after seeing the posts that it was available in some stores. Drove from Austin to Waco and back to get it.

Got it home, installed it without any issues. Took it out for a test flight and right after it left the ground the camera pitched to the right for a few seconds then returned, so I thought...Ok, maybe nothing. Then I applied power and started off and then again, that same pitch to the right. Then once more.

So those horror stores from everyone experiencing issues right off the bat....confirmed. I'm one of the victims. I've already opened a ticket with 3DR and sent the attached video for their viewing pleasure. UGH....not a happy camper.

Thanks for posting that. I'm so glad I finally returned mine. Watching the die hard fans here slowly jumping ship is my reward. I was way ahead of my time. :D

Reactions: djmaincheese

I'm not surprised ..it seems more people are getting floppy gimbals then there is problem free gimbals!!

Reactions: Projeffrey11
when does it get better, thats my question, surely all that time they spent redoing the software they found some of this stuff. Is this the best they can do at 2 to 3 months late?

Did you do a level calibration with the gimbal? I've read of some doing that to resolve gimbal quirkiness.

We shouldn't have to do a stick calibration. How does adding a piece of hardware that is not controlled by the sticks get affected by that calibration. Also, if the sticks are calibrated at the factory...

Just saying...

I had the same problem. Took gimbal and re-installed. Did it again. Then I took the battery tray out, 7 screws and looked at the gimbal from the top. Sure enough, when the gimbal turned to the side, it was enough to rub the motor. Also, the GPS wires were a little suspicious looking also and re-positioned those. After that, never drooped again. I also experienced something similar to the fixed mount HDMI cable not being properly seated. Remember that? Well, if you are diligent it can also happen with the gimbal. Look closely at everything. Just possible one or more of these things could be the cause. Jus' sayin'

Reactions: Richard
Agreed David, one other thought.
Somewhat of misdirection with the five minute install video. The inexperienced, like me, rarely take things apart, mod them etc. The ease of Colon installing the gimbal is misleading. They should instruct people to remove the top and do QA before flying. I know I will do this with the setup I have coming back from RMA.

We shouldn't have to do a stick calibration. How does adding a piece of hardware that is not controlled by the sticks get affected by that calibration. Also, if the sticks are calibrated at the factory...

Just saying...

Part of the stick calibration involves moving the controls at the top of the controller.

My advice is to return it and get yourself and Phantom 3. Way back in June I had a Solo, for all of about a week. Had a bunch of issues with it and returned the unit to Best Buy. I said I would never by DJI again, great product shitty customer service. Well I did, bought a Phantom 3 Pro and love it, I also think its a much better value. Its been dam near flawless, excellent app etc....

I feel bad for the people who have hung onto the 3DR promises while riding this train wreck, and really thats what the "Solo" project is.....One big train wreck. Broken promises, due dates missed, equipment not working......sad. I want to like 3DR

Well, I took all the advice everyone has been great and kind enough to take the time to post, and indeed I think it might be fixed. I believe it was a cable routing issue. And I was extra careful during the initial install because I'd read all about the cable routing issues prior.

So after re-routing the cables another 3 times, it seems to be fixed. Installing this thing should NOT be that difficult/picky. And the online instructions along with the video of Colon doing the install should be completely re-done with much more detailed instructions and stressing the importance of how the cables are routed. Coming up with a better method than trial and error would be most helpful as well (maybe the battery tray removal and top down visual inspection...what a hassle though).

Reactions: Raybro

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso