Autopilot Firmware Upgrade from 1.3.1 to 1.5.3

Interesting. I flew nearly two full batteries yesterday with 1.5.2 and can say not one problem -- gimbal or otherwise. There's good and bad to everything. Think I'll be leaving it on.

Make no mistake--you will never see an update from 3DR again unless you purchase Site Scan. Like @Xor, I've desk checked the code over and over again. IMO, the risk is very low. Everyone is forgetting about the 60 or so bug fixes and enhancements in 1.5.2/1.5.3. Continue to monitor Facebook and notice all the posts new and old related to problems that are fixed in the firmware some of us are running. So if you have a tip over or a fly away etc., don't be surprised if we ask you what firmware you are running...get my drift?

Make no mistake--you will never see an update from 3DR again unless you purchase Site Scan. Like @Xor, I've desk checked the code over and over again. IMO, the risk is very low. Everyone is forgetting about the 60 or so bug fixes and enhancements in 1.5.2/1.5.3. Continue to monitor Facebook and notice all the posts new and old related to problems that are fixed in the firmware some of us are running. So if you have a tip over or a fly away etc., don't be surprised if we ask you what firmware you are running...get my drift?

Well that does it for me.

I will leave it as is.

1.5.3 all the way.

Thanks for clearing this up guys.

Sorry to everyone if I got it wrong.

I was posting what Philip wrote.

:)

Keep flying safe everyone:)

Speatuk, after a look closer on gitbub, this particular change it is related to "Prioritise thrust over yaw if there is an uncontrolled descent" but it was a different commit, so it not necessary must be directly link to "Prioritise thrust ... " case and can be completely separate thing, sorry for confusion.

Well to change or not to change this parameter is up to You :)

Last edited:
Reactions: speatuk
speatuk, a look closer on gitbub, and this particular change it is related to "Prioritise thrust over yaw if there is an uncontrolled descent" but it was a different commit, sorry for confusion.

Well to change or not to change this parameter is up to You :)

No problem I just didn't want everyone having brownouts

Glad we sorted it

Keep flying safe everyone:)

Speatuk i think there is no other way that we need some brave testers :) that will upgrade firmware fly it and let us know ;-)

Reactions: speatuk
it really is a personal choice
just like upgrading the gopro firmware
no need to make it more difficult than that

A very good analogy.
I looked at the GoPro Firmware Release Notes from 3 to 5 and determined I would prefer the updates/enhancements over the convenience of having to turn it on before flight.
Like you said, no need to make it more difficult than that.

Just did another test flight. Took it 1000ft out and 350ft up, and just let the battery run down. The low battery alarm came on and it executed a perfect RTH, landing with exactly 10% remaining. Just as it should have. The only thing they didn't seem to account for with this new battery failsafe is the controller doesn't do a good job telling you it is happening. If you didn't hear the beeping from the low battery alarm on the solo, you might be left wondering WTF it is doing.

Reactions: Jose969
Pedals2Paddles,
There are probably a update for the controller also, would be interesting to test, have several spare controller's so i could test it :)
Must be a firmware feed for it somewhere on the thing they call "the internet" so if we find it we could probably pull the controller update from it...

/Spawn

Reactions: Jose969
Pedals2Paddles,
There are probably a update for the controller also, would be interesting to test, have several spare controller's so i could test it :)
Must be a firmware feed for it somewhere on the thing they call "the internet" so if we find it we could probably pull the controller update from it...

/Spawn
The difference is that the controller firmware is likely closed source as opposed to the autopilot which is a branch of an open source project.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Yes i now that :)
But when there is a update for the ARM board (screen controller board) part of the controller, a *.bin file
is downloaded and placed in a directory on the artoo board, and from there the update is executed, very similar
to have the pixhawk is updated :)

This binary update file exists on some feed if we just could find it...

/Spawn

what, no, i was talking about the controller firmware, not the sitescan IOS software :/

what, no, i was talking about the controller firmware, not the sitescan IOS software :/

If the controller firmware is closed source then it could be argued that it would be exactly that. The reason it's fine with the autopilot, is, as I said earlier, it's open source and available pretty easily.

Plus, the controller firmware updated is likely to have some things not compatible with what is on a consumer grade Solo. I wouldn't want to risk it.

We where not talking about any source code where we ?
you do know what closed "source" means dont you ?

That binary is compiled code, and there is a copy of it in every site scan controller out there !!

Do you really think it would be sitting right there in the controller available by telnet if it was a big secret, just forget it,
was only posting this because it would be interesting to se if they have added any changes to it...

The Linux kernel running on the Solo and Controller are open source (because it's Linux).
The repo is here: GitHub - 3drobotics/imx6-linux: Linux kernel for the i.mx6 boards.
The tag (release) running on both is here: Release sololink_v1.3.0-5: Merge pull request #8 from 3drobotics/backports_20150903 · 3drobotics/imx6-linux · GitHub
You can tell lots from the the logs found on Solo/Controller,
Linux version 3.10.17-rt12-1.0.0_ga+g4176d57 (jfinley@ip-10-100-24-103) (gcc version 4.8.1 (GCC) ) #3 SMP PREEMPT Mon Sep 26 20:30:11 UTC 2016
John Finley tagged (4176d57) the source and built the source.

Which indicates it has not received any updates in quite some time if I'm reading correctly?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig