App Disconnecting when Pressing "Fly"

Reaction score
I just bought a Lenovo Tab 2 A, 8", running Lollipop (Android 5.1). Loaded the 3DR Solo app and 3DR Services. I get the Solo on, controller on, and connect the app via Solo Link. Controller gives 'green' bar stating Solo app connected. When I hit the "Fly Solo" link on the app screen to fly it connects for about 2 seconds, then I get a message "disconnected from Solo Wi-Fi", 'green' bar turns 'yellow' on controller for about 2 seconds. Goes back and forth between connected and disconnected every 2 seconds. I've loaded and reloaded the app. I tried the 'beta' app. All do the same. Any ideas?

Thanks for the answer; however, it did not work. I followed this suggestion, changed advanced settings in wi-fi to 'off' on 'scanning always available. Re-booted, re-installed Solo apps. Also checked for Norton and other anti-virus software, none loaded. Same result. Any other suggestions from anyone?

Connect to your solo wifi and don't load any apps. Just observe the wifi. Does it stay connected or jump to a different wifi network? I had something similar where my LTE android tablet would consider the solo Wi-Fi network to be invalid because it wasn't detecting an Internet connection from it and the tablet was turning off that Wi-Fi or disconnecting me from it rather. It turned out to be a network optimization feature that Sprint has enabled on this tablet. Sprint was my provider. Once I disabled that then the tablet would remain connected to the solo Wi-Fi network in definitely. This may not be your problem but it would be a good start to see if you remain connected to the solo Wi-Fi network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the answer. Still no luck. I disabled all apps. I do not have a cellular network on this tablet. I can't really see what it's doing when it disconnects from Solo, but I've been through every setting I could find. I'm not sure if I have a 'network optimization feature' on this tablet since it has no cellular connection. Thanks, again.

Your tablet has a MediaTek CPU.
Lenovo Tab 2 A7-10 - Full tablet specifications
I have 3 tablets with the same CPU and all exhibit similar problems.
I poked at 3DR tech support about this issue a while ago and they replied that they prefer tablets/phones with SnapDragon CPUs
and although the App store says they are compatible, the MediaTek bases tablets may have issues.
Well they certainly do.
Iirc there is another thread here somewhere where I posted an excerpt from my adb logcat while running the solo app. it clearly shows errors such as this:
03-11 10:25:42.539 15224-15302/? E/MediaCodecManager: Decoding error!
at org.droidplanner.services.android.utils.video.VideoManager$6.onDecodingError(VideoManager.java:347)

3DR seemed uninterested in fixing this.

Hawkeye- We are only concerned with the Wi-Fi network so cellular service shouldn't be a consideration, one way or the other. I have used a non-cell tablet and a cellular smart phone for the Solo App. Cell service is transparent. Furthermore, you don't need the App at all to fly Solo in "Fly Manual", so program your "A" button on the controller to 'Fly Manual'.

For 'sniffing' and troubleshooting/measuring all my Wi-Fi SSIDs around the property, I use a free App called Wi-Fi Analyzer on my phone. Just start the App and it will find all the Wi-Fi signals in the vicinity - including the Solo controller.

First, after installing Wi-Fi Analyzer, do a clean 'Restart' on your cell phone. Don't start anything but Wi-Fi Analyzer on your phone. Turn your tablet off and keep your tablet OFF. You won't need the tablet or any other Apps for this test.

Then:
  1. You want the Wi-Fi Analyzer downloaded to your cell phone to have a device separate from your tablet to monitor the controller's Wi-Fi signal.
  2. Start that Analyzer App on your phone.
  3. Boot up the controller and you should see (and if you have sound enabled on Wi-Fi Analyzer... you should hear) the SoloLink network on Wi-Fi Analyzer.
  4. Once the controller says "Waiting for Solo", boot up the Solo and it should (eventually) connect to the controller - but keep monitoring Wi-Fi Analyzer on your phone..
  5. Once it connects, press the previously programmed 'A' button to Fly Manual, then press Fly to start the motors. You don't need GPS lock or the Solo App to do any of this so do NOT start the Solo App or 3DR Services.
  6. If Wi-Fi Analyzer ceases to see the SoloLink network through any of this, then it's likely the controller has quit squawking Wi-Fi. Try a different controller from your second Solo kit; seems everyone has a second or third Solo today... ;)
  7. If you never lose Wi-Fi from the controller but the Solo still disconnects, it seems that the fault may be with Solo handshaking.
  8. If everything works in Fly Manual, you may have a tablet issue; try your cell phone for use with Solo.
Anyway... see how the above works out and get back with us.

BTW, is your controller battery fully charged and holding a charge? Are your antennas well-attached?

Thank you. I have no trouble running Solo or the Solo App with my cell phone, and I have an old cell phone that I use for back up that has no cell service, only Wi-Fi. All work with no problem. I did fully charge the controller and have no problem with it holding a charge. I definitely believe it's the tablet. It's a good tablet, brand new, but I only bought it to use with my Solo. I put it on eBay last night. Hopefully someone will have a good use for it and will get a good deal.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Thank you. I have no trouble running Solo or the Solo App with my cell phone, and I have an old cell phone that I use for back up that has no cell service, only Wi-Fi. All work with no problem. I did fully charge the controller and have no problem with it holding a charge. I definitely believe it's the tablet. It's a good tablet, brand new, but I only bought it to use with my Solo. I put it on eBay last night. Hopefully someone will have a good use for it and will get a good deal.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Hi Hawkeye, may I know what brand is your cell phone? is it using Snapdragon chipset?
I had the same symptoms, using a Mediatek phone (Oppo F1 Plus), but previously when I used Snapdragon phone (Lenovo K5 Plus) everything is fine.
Looks like what Cynfab said is true then....

Hi Hawkeye, may I know what brand is your cell phone? is it using Snapdragon chipset?
I had the same symptoms, using a Mediatek phone (Oppo F1 Plus), but previously when I used Snapdragon phone (Lenovo K5 Plus) everything is fine.
Looks like what Cynfab said is true then....

My cell phones are a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, and my old cell that I use only wifi is a Samsung Galaxy S3. The tablet I'm having trouble with is a Lenovo Tab 2 A8-50.

You should try uninstalling the app and reinstalling, if you still have it, I've done it with other apps that were doing similar things and it almost always works.

You should try uninstalling the app and reinstalling, if you still have it, I've done it with other apps that were doing similar things and it almost always works.
Oh, I've done this many times to no avail, but thanks for the response.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig