Almost Fly-Away Learned Something New

Reaction score
So this is my first Solo and I had a great time flying in a field today. It was awesome and it kind of threw me off flying for twice as long as my DIY quads and y6. I was telling my wife about it and she said she wanted to see it fly. I new one of the batteries still had around 50% so I had just enough to fly a demo flight. I didn't have my GoPro installed so I was going to fly without video but still connected to my phone WiFi. That's were I messed up, I forgot to check and make sure my WiFi connected before flying.

When I flew it, it was going beautifully until I wanted to demo the "Cable cam" (A button). The solo just sat in the air with no response to me. I hit the (B) hoping it would stop and it did. I flew it back to my landing spot and then landed. As soon as it landed the motors started to rev up but didn't take off. I then tried to turn the solo off. (Don't yell at me, I am buying gloves) Finally, I picked it up from underneath and tried to start messing with my phone and it just magically shut off. I think I hit the pause button.

My theory (without looking at the logs yet), the solo doesn't seem to work well trying to use functions that normally can be done through your phone. I think this might be the cause for some of the fly-aways. It caught me off guard not disarming like the Pixhawk and APM. The GPS is quick but I still want to upgrade to the HERE and get that up higher. Let's just say I will be flying in the field a few more times before around the house. Also, I think I will go with the excellent suggestion to have a manual option which I do with my DIY builds.

My question: Is there a way to cancel the Cable cam mode once you start without the phone WiFi screen? With the phone there is an "x" to end the mode.

My question: Is there a way to cancel the Cable cam mode once you start without the phone WiFi screen?

Press FLY on the controller.... Solo does not need the app to fly, the controller overrides any app commands.

How do you disarm your PH or APM birds?
Define flyaway?
Do you have a gimbal installed?
Have you read the manual?

Ah, the manual, that would be a good idea. All I had was the sheet of paper so I will look the manual up before flying again.

I disarm my PH and APM with sticks down and right. For the solo the props were spinning faster when I lowered them and I got panicky.

Flyaway: I can't define from experience because I've never had one but it sure got scared that it would.

No Gimbal yet, still waiting on the shipment.

Thanks

The manual is actually well done, worth a reasonable glance.

Solo will Dis-Arm with left stick full down until tone. To Arm, left stick down and right till tone .

No flyaways with Solo. Just unprepared pilots....;)

Reactions: Greg Parker
RichWest,

Thanks for the advice, I'm definitely going to check out the manual.

Thinking back, I think I hit the fly button once it landed since that's how I started the props. I guess that was a bad assumption. This caused it to fight my throttle stick down and made my heart to start beating faster. I think I'll use your guidance on arm/disarm, don't like it flying for me anyhow. Thanks again for the assist. That was my unprepared pilot moment thankfully it ended well. Lesson learned...

Ah, the manual, that would be a good idea. All I had was the sheet of paper so I will look the manual up before flying again.

I disarm my PH and APM with sticks down and right. For the solo the props were spinning faster when I lowered them and I got panicky.

Flyaway: I can't define from experience because I've never had one but it sure got scared that it would.

No Gimbal yet, still waiting on the shipment.

Thanks
To disarm the Solo with stick commands its only the left (throttle) stick down and to the left, do not touch the right stick at all. To Arm the solo its left (throttle) stick down and to the right do not touch the right stick at all.

Thanks, I'm currently in the process of reading the manual. This will put the responsibility on me to know proper procedures. I didn't realize there was a very thorough manual.

Thanks, I'm currently in the process of reading the manual. This will put the responsibility on me to know proper procedures. I didn't realize there was a very thorough manual.
If you are landing whether in auto or manual or stabilized mode for that matter, Just bring the solo down nice and gently and ease the left stick straight down for a few seconds until you hear it disarm and the props stop, its real super simple....

I will definitely being going to the field this week to practice some of the features and the great suggestions that have been provided. Great Community! I am 100% convinced that my almost incident was a user error and that it was simply trying to launch after I landed. I bet most of the problems have been human error that 3dr could have mitigated by telling people to read the manual instead of providing a foldable piece of paper for getting started like its an IPod. I guess it works out for those buying today at large discounts. At least I'll get some good practice in before adding the $200 gimbal.

I will definitely being going to the field this week to practice some of the features and the great suggestions that have been provided. Great Community! I am 100% convinced that my almost incident was a user error and that it was simply trying to launch after I landed. I bet most of the problems have been human error that 3dr could have mitigated by telling people to read the manual instead of providing a foldable piece of paper for getting started like its an IPod. I guess it works out for those buying today at large discounts. At least I'll get some good practice in before adding the $200 gimbal.
I myself have crashed flipped misjudged and simply F@ucK+D up it happens. Its part of the learning process just take your time learn the ins and outs of the Solo be careful and observant and most of all have fun..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc