3DR Solo Drone with Site Scan Autodesk Workflow

Reaction score
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Site Scan makes it safer and easier than ever for people in construction, telecom, GIS, mapping, energy, infrastructure and related fields to aggregate and process multiple forms of reality capture data and perform inspections

[VIDEO] 3DR Solo Drone with Site Scan Autodesk Workflow

Reactions: Jubalr and emanresU
Pretty cool! This stuff is getting incredibly easy! Although only affordable if you're serious about the biz.

LICENSE
$5,988
Annual Subscription.
License
Includes:
  • – 1 user license
  • – Autodesk integration
  • – Sharing with A360
  • – Requires Site Scan hardware

Yeah, unfortunately for the price to run it for 1 year you could buy PhotoScan and 2x Solo fitted with RTK, Camera and parachutes.
Nevertheless it looks very promising.

Yeah, A bit pricey for all but the big dogs. 3DR should work on a program for smaller outfits. :cool:

Yeah, A bit pricey for all but the big dogs. 3DR should work on a program for smaller outfits. :cool:

you should see how much pix4d charges for their enterprise version. makes sitescan seem like a bargain.

this is a good move for 3dr. consumers might not like it, but from a business perspective, gov and private sector make the consumer market look like lunch money.

you should see how much pix4d charges for their enterprise version. makes sitescan seem like a bargain.

this is a good move for 3dr. consumers might not like it, but from a business perspective, gov and private sector make the consumer market look like lunch money.
Oh, I have seen it. Out of my budget for sure, still, has to be a way for the smaller outfit (aka, me) to get started.

hey if it funds their R&D it might trickle down to us slubs
A healthy 3DR is good for us

This would be great!!

How much is Pix4D enterprise? I was quoted one license of Pix4D Pro $7,500 CDN.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I feel you Rusty. Hopefully if it is all it looks to be a usage based options will become available.
It would of been nice if it followed the AutoDesk method of 1 time large upfront cost and a yearly reasonably priced renewal.

Anyone have experience with sending large amounts of data through 3/4G or LTE connection to cloud servers for processing? I know in the Canadian mobility market the data packages are not very reasonably priced themselves. Is is certainly another factor to consider.

I'm a little confused how this would generate a 3D point cloud from the GoPro. Can anyone help me understand? I always assumed something like LIDAR would be required to accomplish this.

Could you use this Site Scan software to survey large areas of land and accurately deliver elevation data (for water flow planning and mapping)? Would need to be as accurate as a ground based surveying crew.

Otherwise I fail to see how this is different than Tower with some post processing by someone like DataMapper.com?

Thanks to anyone who can help me get my head wrapped around this.

Last edited:
Taurus, SiteScan uses photogrammtery processes to produce surface terrain models which point clouds can be extracted from. The same as Photoscan or PIX4D. You will not get survey grade accuracy with the gopro sensor but the Sony QX series will get you a lot closer. Adding ground control points will help accuracy a lot. RTK GPS location of the photo sensor embedded in the EXIF data of the photos will help increase accuracy towards survey grade.
There are several other cost effective options for doing this rather than SiteScan, but it sure does look cool!

Thanks RPM, that helps a lot. Am I right in assuming that, although more money, a UAV with LIDAR would be able to achieve survey grade? Or would ground control points still be required?

I'm a bit confused by this site scan stuff. It doesn't support ground control points, so it's not going to be accurate at all. They claim gcp is on their roadmap, but if I'm an enterprise customer I'd wait until it's actually implemented.

Gopro for surveying and mapping?!!!
What about fisheye and distortion?
Too expensive package.

Gopro for surveying and mapping?!!!
What about fisheye and distortion?
Too expensive package.

what about fisheye and distortion? barrel or pincushion distortion can be removed in software as it has since the beginning of time. as a matter of fact all lenses have distortion, just some more than others. and as part of processing that distortion is removed from the images whether it was a gopro or a 50mm L.

and as far as price, anybody who is doing GIS, photogrammetry or any aerial data acquisition would pay many times as much for a turn key package that does the processing in the cloud because it is worth it.

Reactions: Jubalr
what about fisheye and distortion? barrel or pincushion distortion can be removed in software as it has since the beginning of time. as a matter of fact all lenses have distortion, just some more than others. and as part of processing that distortion is removed from the images whether it was a gopro or a 50mm L.

and as far as price, anybody who is doing GIS, photogrammetry or any aerial data acquisition would pay many times as much for a turn key package that does the processing in the cloud because it is worth it.
The price is actually cheap for enterprise when you consider what firms charge for these types of services... but if all you want is the camera, your SOL (for now); you'll need to agree to a 1 year minimum contract for the whole package (auto desk and all), and that will cost you close to $10k.

I read some notes about mapping with DJI phantom drones. If lens errors can remove by software then we can use phantom drone with cheaper price.
I know that we should pay mapping costs but we can decrease our expenses by purchasing cheaper drone.I am solo and pixhawk fan but and waiting for solution to install and trigger Sony QX1 on solo

I read some notes about mapping with DJI phantom drones. If lens errors can remove by software then we can use phantom drone with cheaper price.
I know that we should pay mapping costs but we can decrease our expenses by purchasing cheaper drone.I am solo and pixhawk fan but and waiting for solution to install and trigger Sony QX1 on solo

if you have a decent computer and you don't mind preprocessing, processing and render time then you can do mapping with any rc plane or multirotor that supports survey mapping (accuracy/quality depending on the lens/camera) so yes it can be done on the cheap with solo, phantom, inspire etc. that's the easy part. the hard part is the post processing in the mapping software such as photoscan or pix4d. keep in mind that pix4d is $350 per month or $3500 per year and it has less features than pix4d enterprise or autodesk. other alternates include photoscan pro ($3500) or opendronemap (opensource, free).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc