21min Flight; 617 pics; Landed at 0%; Farm Scan...

Reaction score
Wanted to pass along some info regarding a flight this morning of a soy bean field. Flight altitude was 320' and Solo was set to fly the mission at 15mph. Camera was the Mapir Survey 2 NDVI Red +NIR. Camera was taking pics every 2-3 seconds. Total flight time was 21.7 min and distance traveled was just under 8,000yds.

I knew when I set the mission in Tower that flight time would be close to using a whole battery, and it was! I actually canceled the mission a few hundred feet from the last WP. On the way back, FS kicked in and when it got overhead, I put it in manual and brought it down. Landed just as it hit 0% remaining and the voltage was 13.15 or 3.287v per cell. Just barely above the generally accepted minimum of 3.2v per cell. So it looks like 0% may be around the 3.2v per cell minimum believed to be the minimum safe voltage before possible damage to a LiPo. Image below shows the data at touchdown. In the bottom right of the table you will see time in the air and distance traveled. In the upper image you will see 0% battery and 13.15v remaining.
IiVIdb

Over 600 images and I processed them through Agisoft PhotoScan Pro. I've been trying a lot of different software & cloud services for stitching, and nothing I have seen is as fast as this program. It took just 44 minutes to stitch the photos. Another 10 to create the Orthomosaic below. I then processed the resulting 700mb Tif through Fiji Image J, an incredible free program for all types of processing. with the Luts supplied by Mapir, Fiji then creates an NDVI image that farmers can use to monitor the health of their crops.
Here are the Ortho stitched by agisoft and the NDVI image from Fiji..
cqwWSA

yRo95u

These are raw with no further filtering.

so the caution of flying below 10% battery life hurting longevity is not really true?

Hopefully you can replicate this on different batteries.Let us know.

Closest I've pushed it was 4% but I was already panicking once it dipped below 10%. Too close for comfort.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard Nawara
Guys, all this stuff about what % to land at and what % is safe is really conjecture. The percentage is based off a calculated maximum capacity of the battery. That calculation could be off in either direction. It is not a hard and fast number.

Fly the voltage, not the % if you want to maximise your flight time. Put the legs on the ground no later than 12.6 to 12.8 volts. Voltage is the only power measurement on the solo that isn't based on assumptions and loose predictions. Frankly, I don't think anyone here knows what the smart battery is actually doing and thinking about when it reports it's capacity to Solo. So it's literally a wildcard. It is a handy reference. But below 15%, i start ignoring the % and watching the volts. There is nothing to question about the voltage.

That said, 21 minutes seems to defy physics. To be honest, I think there is something wrong with the measurements you're seeing in MP. That would require the solo to only be only drawing about 15 amps in flight which is simply not possible unless it happens to be in some kind of outrageous updraft or approaching a black hole.

Also, that 13.15 volts is not under load, since the screenshot is after you landed and disarmed. Under load in flight, that was a LOT lower. I think you probably ran your battery down a lot further than you think you did if it only recovered to 13.15 volts after disarming. But even if you (on purpose or by accident) sacrificed the battery to stay in the air longer, I still don't see how you could possibly do 21 minutes.

Guys, all this stuff about what % to land at and what % is safe is really conjecture. The percentage is based off a calculated maximum capacity of the battery. That calculation could be off in either direction. It is not a hard and fast number.

Fly the voltage, not the % if you want to maximise your flight time. Put the legs on the ground no later than 12.6 to 12.8 volts. Voltage is the only power measurement on the solo that isn't based on assumptions and loose predictions. Frankly, I don't think anyone here knows what the smart battery is actually doing and thinking about when it reports it's capacity to Solo. So it's literally a wildcard. It is a handy reference. But below 15%, i start ignoring the % and watching the volts. There is nothing to question about the voltage.

That said, 21 minutes seems to defy physics. To be honest, I think there is something wrong with the measurements you're seeing in MP. That would require the solo to only be only drawing about 15 amps in flight which is simply not possible unless it happens to be in some kind of outrageous updraft or approaching a black hole.

Also, that 13.15 volts is not under load, since the screenshot is after you landed and disarmed. Under load in flight, that was a LOT lower. I think you probably ran your battery down a lot further than you think you did if it only recovered to 13.15 volts after disarming. But even if you (on purpose or by accident) sacrificed the battery to stay in the air longer, I still don't see how you could possibly do 21 minutes.

Sorry to bust your bubble and Physics calculations. First of all, I guess you didn't see the flight time (1302sec) in the screen shot and no there is nothing wrong with MP or my Solo. It was in the air for over 21 minutes, which I was also watching in Tower. Yes, Tower starts a visible timer from take off as well. On average, Solo was drawing from 10-14a during the entire flight, which is not unusual when Solo is not powering a gimbal or a GP. And a 21min updraft? Right. you also have to remember that just like full size aircraft and Helis there is a 'Best Cruise', which is the speed that an aircraft is most efficient. For the Solo, that is around 15mph anyway. In addition, I am running 800kv T-motors and 11x4.5 APC.

This was the new Solo #2 I got from the BB promo. The battery (my #4) was one I bought last fall and has about 25 flights on it. At power up it was at 98%.
You don't always have to be so matter of fact in your responses; "simply not possible unless it happens to be in some kind of outrageous updraft or approaching a black hole.". Leave your self an out and ask a few clarifying questions. You know I have been doing this for over 30 years, I thought you would have given me a little more credit in my findings.
But, just for you. Here is the entire mission at 10x through MP so that you can see the clock, current draw, Bat % etc.. (Hmm, a 2:30sec video at 10x).
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Relax dude. Over react much? Holy crap. Your arrogant attitude is uncalled for. You posted a flight time that is IMPOSSIBLE in the standard configuration. The only thing bursting is your giant inflated ego. You never mentioned the gopro and gimbal were not attached and/or was not being powered. So don't lose your shit when someone dares question it.

Your "30 years" of experience is not an excuse for being an asshole. But regardless, if we're all to be aware in advance of your superiority, and as such not question anything you say or do, you should probably list it in your signature.

FWIW I think his reaction was reasonable.
He presented some information that didn't agree with your current knowledge. You could've asked him for more information about it to help your understanding, but you didn't do that. Instead, you chose to tell him he was doing it wrong, destroying his equipment, and even breaking the laws of physics.

There's a difference between questioning people, and asking them questions.

Thanks for the info Jubalr. I've just bought the exact same camera and I'm planning to do some tests in the next few weeks. I've 3D printed a mount to get the camera to the right tilt (about 10 degrees) so it's close to level when the Solo is moving.

Don't care how arrogant or f*ucked up anyone is, but this was nice! Never done anything with MP, might try some day.

FWIW I think his reaction was reasonable.
He presented some information that didn't agree with your current knowledge. You could've asked him for more information about it to help your understanding, but you didn't do that. Instead, you chose to tell him he was doing it wrong, destroying his equipment, and even breaking the laws of physics.

There's a difference between questioning people, and asking them questions.

Thanks for the info Jubalr. I've just bought the exact same camera and I'm planning to do some tests in the next few weeks. I've 3D printed a mount to get the camera to the right tilt (about 10 degrees) so it's close to level when the Solo is moving.
Hey Joel,

I use the universal GP mount that comes with Solo. It swings all the way under the belly, then you can just bring it back forward a little to make it parallel with the ground with forward flight. Works well. Post a pic of your mount when ready. Always interesting to see what guys are doing with the 3D printers.

Relax dude. Over react much? Holy crap. Your arrogant attitude is uncalled for. You posted a flight time that is IMPOSSIBLE in the standard configuration. The only thing bursting is your giant inflated ego. You never mentioned the gopro and gimbal were not attached and/or was not being powered. So don't lose your shit when someone dares question it.

Your "30 years" of experience is not an excuse for being an asshole. But regardless, if we're all to be aware in advance of your superiority, and as such not question anything you say or do, you should probably list it in your signature.
Sorry if you think I over reacted. But many of your responses to people are very matter of fact, and people are idiots type of responses. So when you tell me" 21 minutes seems to defy physics.(It Doesn't)" I think there is something wrong with the measurements "(there isn't). " drawing about 15 amps in flight which is simply not possible" (It is). "some kind of "outrageous updraft or approaching a black hole. (no comment) "Under load in flight, that was a LOT lower (it wasn't) "I think you probably ran your battery down a lot further than you think you did (I didn't). "don't see how you could possibly do 21 minutes."(I did). "You posted a flight time that is IMPOSSIBLE in the standard configuration" (I was in the Standard configuration. The Gimbal and GP are add-ons).
You don't see how those kind of statement are just a little arrogant? A better response might have been; "Wow, that's hard to believe! What was your flight configuration?" That way you save face, instead of being so wrong.
So again, I apologize if you think my response was hard. But the above statements hit me the wrong way at the wrong time.
Fly Safe..
Jubal

Last edited:
I use the universal GP mount that comes with Solo.

I didn't even think of that haha!
I guess was so distracted by the 3D printed mounts that Mapir have come up with that my first thought was that I could design my own, but with adjustable tilt.
My universal mount had been sitting in a box of bits since September last year when I got the gimbal, never to be seen again. I've just weighed it versus my mount and they're virtually the same so my solution doesn't improve on what you already have.

1467634263091-40862950.jpg

Last edited:
Solo in constant motion draws less current than hovering, there is a sweet spot, 15 amps is very obtainable.
Jubal, stock motors and props on this one i take it?

Superb mount Joel,
I have just received the same camera and I am using the Mapir mount with the green clips but they don't quite "click" in, so seeing your corner mounts is a great idea.

so seeing your corner mounts is a great idea.
It's secure enough for the task at hand, and those hairbands are pretty indestructible. My girlfriend was a bit pissed when she saw it, it's been many years since I had enough hair to fill one of those!

Roland, I'm coming up with a flight plan that will test current draw at different speeds to find that sweet spot you allude to. Any tips on what speed I should be working around?

Reactions: andrew.baker.142
Joel, i have those figures from someone elses research, I'll find them and pm you, dont want to go too OT, its Jubals (awesome) thread.

Sorry if you think I over reacted. But many of your responses to people are very matter of fact, and people are idiots type of responses. So when you tell me" 21 minutes seems to defy physics.(It Doesn't)" I think there is something wrong with the measurements "(there isn't). " drawing about 15 amps in flight which is simply not possible" (It is). "some kind of "outrageous updraft or approaching a black hole. (no comment) "Under load in flight, that was a LOT lower (it wasn't) "I think you probably ran your battery down a lot further than you think you did (I didn't). "don't see how you could possibly do 21 minutes."(I did). "You posted a flight time that is IMPOSSIBLE in the standard configuration" (I was in the Standard configuration. The Gimbal and GP are add-ons).
You don't see how those kind of statement are just a little arrogant? A better response might have been; "Wow, that's hard to believe! What was your flight configuration?" That way you save face, instead of being so wrong.
So again, I apologize if you think my response was hard. But the above statements hit me the wrong way at the wrong time.
Fly Safe..
Jubal

So you contend the battery voltage in flight while under load was not a lot lower than it was at rest sitting on the ground after disarming?? That's not how it works, and your 30 years of being the all knowing master doesn't alter that. My whopping 2 tells me you're wrong, and I learned that the first day I flew a model aircraft with a battery. Also, if you watch your own video of the telemetry, you'll see that at the end of your flight, you were down to 11.2 volts. Which is low enough to damage the battery, and lower than you apparently think. In fact, you're lucky you didn't crash. But, you're right. You have 30 years of experience and are not to be questioned. Even though the things you posted contradicted reality numerous ways, and no supporting detail was added.

BTW, you should probably watch that battery closely when recharging and in it's next few flights to make sure it's working ok since you damaged it. It will drop off faster towards the end now, and it will not likely be as forgiving the next time you accidentally run it into the ground.

If you think the "standard configuration" is a naked Solo with no gimbal and GoPro, and that is what people should be assuming when you post things, duly noted. Even though 99.7% of users would never fly in such a configuration without some special use case, and that special use case would be clearly spelled out in the post, we'll just make standard be whatever you were doing at the time. Even if you don't mention it.

Solo in constant motion draws less current than hovering, there is a sweet spot, 15 amps is very obtainable.
Jubal, stock motors and props on this one i take it?
Hey Roland, No I put the 800kv T-motors on this one too and running the APC 11x4.5 ST. If you look at the MP video above, it was only drawing 10-13a at 15mph, at definite sweet spot for the Solo. I only had 1 flight on this Solo with the stock motors before I switched it over too. This is the one I just got off the BB deal a couple weeks ago. I plan on using it for scans and keeping the gimbal I got as a spare.

So you contend the battery voltage in flight while under load was not a lot lower than it was at rest sitting on the ground after disarming?? That's not how it works, and your 30 years of being the all knowing master doesn't alter that. My whopping 2 tells me you're wrong, and I learned that the first day I flew a model aircraft with a battery. Also, if you watch your own video of the telemetry, you'll see that at the end of your flight, you were down to 11.2 volts. Which is low enough to damage the battery, and lower than you apparently think. In fact, you're lucky you didn't crash. But, you're right. You have 30 years of experience and are not to be questioned. Even though the things you posted contradicted reality numerous ways, and no supporting detail was added.
When a battery is under load it will always measure a lower voltage than actual because of the current being drawn and internal resistance of the battery. He was not actually down to 11.2 volts, that was a measured voltage. Batteries don't magically recharge once you take the load off them (because that would defy the laws of physics), they just revert back to showing their actual voltage which was 13.15 in this case.

Even though 99.7% of users would never fly in such a configuration without some special use case, and that special use case would be clearly spelled out in the post, we'll just make standard be whatever you were doing at the time. Even if you don't mention it.
The post was about long endurance NDVI mapping using a non-standard camera. That seems like a special use case to me. If you wanted more info you could have just asked.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela