21min Flight; 617 pics; Landed at 0%; Farm Scan...

I'm aware of how the voltage works. That doesn't make it ok to do. 11.2 volts in flight under load is damaging to the battery. And it's the opposite of what he claimed. But ok. Carry on.

Appreciate you posting the results using the new Mapir. Did you ground truth in this case to verify the data?

Great post besides all this other nonsense.

I think the absolute min for Lipo is 2.75v per cell, most vendor recommend 3.0 or above. I set my quad at 3.5 to give me some safety margin.

I would never intentionally discharge below 3.1 volts under load. Beyond that, the battery is going to make you regret it. After 3.2 volts, it drops off very quickly as well. So it's not really a safe place to be unless you're already hovering around your landing area.

Any time I've flown a LiPo down below 3 volts per cell in flight, under load, that LiPo has never been the same. Sure they might recover to 3.1 volts per cell after you take the load off them. But the damage is already done. They're hot, puffed, and suffered from remarkably reduced capacity. I take them out of flight service and use them on the ground only for testing, programming, etc. Or dispose of them if they're really distressed. Not the kind of thing you want to keep floating around the house.

I have never once, ever, in 3 years seen anyone (other than Jubar in this thread) suggest that you can safely fly it below 3v per cell under load because that reading somehow doesn't count. Or that as long as it recovers back to >3 volts per cell, it was really ok. If you believe that to be true, it's your equipment you're compromising, and your choice to keep doing. Everything I've learned and personally experienced over the last 3 years says that's wrong.

Appreciate you posting the results using the new Mapir. Did you ground truth in this case to verify the data?

Great post besides all this other nonsense.
Yes, we have and the Mapir seems to give a good representation of actual conditions through ground truthing. In all the testing I have been doing of services and software, I'm finding I actually prefer the images produced by DroneDeploy and control over the images as you view them. This was shot at just over 300' and allowed us to get a little over 80 acres.

Relax dude. Over react much? Holy crap. Your arrogant attitude is uncalled for. You posted a flight time that is IMPOSSIBLE in the standard configuration. The only thing bursting is your giant inflated ego. You never mentioned the gopro and gimbal were not attached and/or was not being powered. So don't lose your shit when someone dares question it.

Your "30 years" of experience is not an excuse for being an asshole. But regardless, if we're all to be aware in advance of your superiority, and as such not question anything you say or do, you should probably list it in your signature.
Jubairs first post clearly states he was using a Mapir Survey 2 camera. I'm sure we all know that nothing but a GoPro will fit in the GoPro gimbal, so obviously the GoPro and gimbal were absent. Yet you assert he never mentioned they were absent.
No matter. Your use of profanity and willingness to call a fellow forum member an "A"-hole, signal a lack of ability on your part to deal with differing viewpoints in a civil manner.

Your posts reek of arrogance, as almost without exception, you announce that the poster caused all of his problems, even though you have little, if any, factual information upon which to base your assertations.

P2P, I have no need of such drama and bid you, and only you, adieu..

Frankly, for almost 5 years since I got involved in the UAV project for a major oil company, I have yet to encounter a person who actual use gopro for doing survey for a living . Granted, there are people use gopro for research projects. At the beginning of my project, we used gopro too because only gopro and phantom were available for us at that time. But we quickly switch out gopro. I had not missed gopro and did not touch it until few weeks ago when I personally acquired a solo for re-evaluation, I was very surprised that Hero4 Black still has the same lag between takePhoto function in the SoloCameraApi. and image recorded on mobile device as older Hero3 black.

Sorry if you think I over reacted. But many of your responses to people are very matter of fact, and people are idiots type of responses. So when you tell me" 21 minutes seems to defy physics.(It Doesn't)" I think there is something wrong with the measurements "(there isn't). " drawing about 15 amps in flight which is simply not possible" (It is). "some kind of "outrageous updraft or approaching a black hole. (no comment) "Under load in flight, that was a LOT lower (it wasn't) "I think you probably ran your battery down a lot further than you think you did (I didn't). "don't see how you could possibly do 21 minutes."(I did). "You posted a flight time that is IMPOSSIBLE in the standard configuration" (I was in the Standard configuration. The Gimbal and GP are add-ons).
You don't see how those kind of statement are just a little arrogant? A better response might have been; "Wow, that's hard to believe! What was your flight configuration?" That way you save face, instead of being so wrong.
So again, I apologize if you think my response was hard. But the above statements hit me the wrong way at the wrong time.
Fly Safe..
Jubal
It wasn't to hard as peddles knowledge is his downfall. He's too quick to judge with his own perception which is often off the mark of the poster. Quite frankly to me, he comes off as the biggest A-hole on this board. I believe it's a ego issue along the same line as a internet troll. It's really a shame as he appears to be knowledgeable, just missing the people skills. I wonder if he's ever heard that before?

Thanks for the feedback on the Mapir. I've been slammed with a new client so had to walk away from my uav research during peak season. really sucks

Reactions: Michael Walker
Sorry to bust your bubble and Physics calculations. First of all, I guess you didn't see the flight time (1302sec) in the screen shot and no there is nothing wrong with MP or my Solo. It was in the air for over 21 minutes, which I was also watching in Tower. Yes, Tower starts a visible timer from take off as well. On average, Solo was drawing from 10-14a during the entire flight, which is not unusual when Solo is not powering a gimbal or a GP. And a 21min updraft? Right. you also have to remember that just like full size aircraft and Helis there is a 'Best Cruise', which is the speed that an aircraft is most efficient. For the Solo, that is around 15mph anyway. In addition, I am running 800kv T-motors and 11x4.5 APC.

This was the new Solo #2 I got from the BB promo. The battery (my #4) was one I bought last fall and has about 25 flights on it. At power up it was at 98%.
You don't always have to be so matter of fact in your responses; "simply not possible unless it happens to be in some kind of outrageous updraft or approaching a black hole.". Leave your self an out and ask a few clarifying questions. You know I have been doing this for over 30 years, I thought you would have given me a little more credit in my findings.
But, just for you. Here is the entire mission at 10x through MP so that you can see the clock, current draw, Bat % etc.. (Hmm, a 2:30sec video at 10x).
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT HE GRADUATED HIGHSCHOOL IN THE 90'S, SO YOU KNOW THAT AGENDA21 IS IN FULL EFFECT HERE! GREAT FLIGHT AND THANK YOU FOR ALL THE INFO ON WHAT YOU USED TO STICH IT ALL TOGETHER! ON AVERAGE USING A SYSTEM LIKE THIS HOW MUCH CAN YOU INCREASE YOUR YEILD AT HARVEST? I LIVE IN LANCASTER PA AND I AM TRYING TO HELP OUT A FRIEND WITH HIS SOY,SO THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ANY OR ALL HELP GOD BLSS

YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT HE GRADUATED HIGHSCHOOL IN THE 90'S, SO YOU KNOW THAT AGENDA21 IS IN FULL EFFECT HERE! GREAT FLIGHT AND THANK YOU FOR ALL THE INFO ON WHAT YOU USED TO STICH IT ALL TOGETHER! ON AVERAGE USING A SYSTEM LIKE THIS HOW MUCH CAN YOU INCREASE YOUR YEILD AT HARVEST? I LIVE IN LANCASTER PA AND I AM TRYING TO HELP OUT A FRIEND WITH HIS SOY,SO THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ANY OR ALL HELP GOD BLSS
Savings on a field scan can be from 0 to the sky is the limit, just based on field/soil conditions. I saw one farmer save a great deal of money when a scan revealed malfunction in part of his watering system he was not aware of to fertilizer equipment problems that missed an area. But really, it's extremely varied. There is a lot of material on the net showing various usage for crops and NDVI scans. Here are some additional use reports..

I truly enjoyed the information even though half of it went over my head. I'm truly amazed at the flight times but noticed mine approached 19 min back when I had the static gimbal. Would love to try to do the type of flight planning as was described by Jubair. Usually I'm just all over the place fast and slow. Going to try the steady 15 mph and see what the longest flight is I can do. Pedals2Paddles I like the back and forth but I think all of us need to not take ourselves to seriously or we might allow someone else to take away our peace:). Love to listen in

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 21
Nice job Jubair!

Allow me to add a comment on this battery voltage discussion- it is correct that you harm the battery if you go below 3V/cell under load. Result is an irreversible loss in capacity. Unfortunately you cannot measure that with Solo. Just dividing the voltage you read in the logs by 4 will not do it, since lipo cells drift, especially towards the end of capacity. So while one cell is still at 3.2V, the other one may be at 2.8V and already damaged.

In case you run a battery to the very end charge it immediately after landing. The faster you bring it back to healthy voltage levels it can help you to prevent further capacity loss.

Reactions: Jubalr
Why so serious? In worst case you switch to qGCS and fly 2 drones simultaneously each for 11 minutes.
I'm kind of interesting to your camera: does it require special mount or balance weight to be used on Solo? what's the total weight?

Jubalr can you E mail me, [email protected],,, I would like to talk to you and give U my cell phone # about what U do, I like and believe your post !!!! 100% anyway I have 39 years model flying, A & P,,, private pilot,,, IRIS+ and yes Gravity does suck
Thanks FutureVRPilot

Wanted to pass along some info regarding a flight this morning of a soy bean field. Flight altitude was 320' and Solo was set to fly the mission at 15mph. Camera was the Mapir Survey 2 NDVI Red +NIR. Camera was taking pics every 2-3 seconds. Total flight time was 21.7 min and distance traveled was just under 8,000yds.

I knew when I set the mission in Tower that flight time would be close to using a whole battery, and it was! I actually canceled the mission a few hundred feet from the last WP. On the way back, FS kicked in and when it got overhead, I put it in manual and brought it down. Landed just as it hit 0% remaining and the voltage was 13.15 or 3.287v per cell. Just barely above the generally accepted minimum of 3.2v per cell. So it looks like 0% may be around the 3.2v per cell minimum believed to be the minimum safe voltage before possible damage to a LiPo. Image below shows the data at touchdown. In the bottom right of the table you will see time in the air and distance traveled. In the upper image you will see 0% battery and 13.15v remaining.
IiVIdb

Over 600 images and I processed them through Agisoft PhotoScan Pro. I've been trying a lot of different software & cloud services for stitching, and nothing I have seen is as fast as this program. It took just 44 minutes to stitch the photos. Another 10 to create the Orthomosaic below. I then processed the resulting 700mb Tif through Fiji Image J, an incredible free program for all types of processing. with the Luts supplied by Mapir, Fiji then creates an NDVI image that farmers can use to monitor the health of their crops.
Here are the Ortho stitched by agisoft and the NDVI image from Fiji..
cqwWSA

yRo95u

These are raw with no further filtering.

Awesome. I have a question about your Mapir settings. What shutter interval are you using? Were you able to capture RAW images at 2-3 second intervals or jpg? When I have been shooting with the Survey 2 NDVI, I have been using 2-second timing and a SanDisk Pixtor card, and have only been able to image every 5-6 seconds when shooting in RAW & jpg.

Awesome. I have a question about your Mapir settings. What shutter interval are you using? Were you able to capture RAW images at 2-3 second intervals or jpg? When I have been shooting with the Survey 2 NDVI, I have been using 2-second timing and a SanDisk Pixtor card, and have only been able to image every 5-6 seconds when shooting in RAW & jpg.
I am using one of the fastest cards that Mapir tested and recommends (SanDisk Extreme PRO 32GB UHS-I/U3) but Raw still only gets me about 4 secs. But I have had good luck shooting JPG only and about 2sec intervals, so that is what I have been doing.

Relax dude. Over react much? Holy crap. Your arrogant attitude is uncalled for. You posted a flight time that is IMPOSSIBLE in the standard configuration. The only thing bursting is your giant inflated ego. You never mentioned the gopro and gimbal were not attached and/or was not being powered. So don't lose your shit when someone dares question it.

Your "30 years" of experience is not an excuse for being an asshole. But regardless, if we're all to be aware in advance of your superiority, and as such not question anything you say or do, you should probably list it in your signature.
Ha! You made assumptions (assume= you know) and then c all his ego big :) Turns out the pie was really in your face. Maybe ask questions in the future instead of making wild accusation about ones credibility. The only credibility I see damaged here is yours.

I did not make wild accusations. And I did ask questions. I'm not worried about my credibility, nor am I wearing any pie. Although I'm hungry so I'd like some.

Anyway, it's quite obvious there is no discussion on this matter to be had as we're both quite firmly set in our opinions on the matter. We both dropped this debate over a week ago, since we both have better things to do than fighter over internet penis size. So I do not have anything further to say on the matter. I do however enjoy reading about the actual topic, as the mapping tech and accomplishments are very cool.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig