How To: Reading Solo Logs

Free is fine. I have Pro but going to use it for some other functionality with FTP.

I see the tlogs, but which ones are the data flash logs.

These. Mission planner will only read the files with the .tlog extension.

So you need to rename your older logs so you can open them.

As example rename solo.tlog.1 to solo1.tlog.

tlog.jpg

@rrmccabe that is an incorrect statement. Mission Planner will read a lot of different logs, not just tlogs. The telemetry logs, tlogs, are a very condensed version of the dataflash log which is a different log.

@Miken the dataflash logs are stored on the solo itself, not the controller. You will need to SSH into the solo to pull them, or use a UDP connection through Mission Planner and pull them that way.

@rrmccabe that is an incorrect statement. Mission Planner will read a lot of different logs, not just tlogs. The telemetry logs, tlogs, are a very condensed version of the dataflash log which is a different log.

What I was trying to say was that if you are trying to open the TLOGS you cant open open the ones with the numbers added to the extension. You need to rename them so MP can open them.

Thanks for the info on the Dataflash logs

What I was trying to say was that if you are trying to open the TLOGS you cant open open the ones with the numbers added to the extension. You need to rename them so MP can open them.

Thanks for the info on the Dataflash logs
Yes that is correct.

On another note, the controller actually stores 10 logs, so you still need to keep that in mind if you are wanting to keep all of your flight logs. I'll check to see how many the solo itself stores.

Reactions: rrmccabe
rrmccabe, I got the tlogs and renamed them, I was hoping to get the data flash logs. The tlog is stored on the Tx and the dataflash is stored on the copter. From what I have read, they will be storing the dataflash logs on the Tx in the future.

Gotcha. Well looks like you are going to have to connect with UDP.

EDIT:

Actually AndFTP works well with the Solo itself. IP is 10.1.1.10.

The files transfered about 100 times faster using the android app as they did with Mission Planner.

So just setup another connection at 10.1.1.10.

both.jpg

Last edited:
I see the tlogs, but which ones are the data flash logs.

You know you have a pretty good question there !

I have downloaded all the logs with AndFTP. I need to go look and see what is what. I did find them in a sub folder called quadcopter/1.

However trying to open any of them using the Mission Planner DataFlash > Review a log function I get an error about FMT messages missing from my log.

I Googled the exact error and have found it on the web but no answers to anyone's post.

@rrmccabe what folder did you copy from the solo using the AndFTP app? What are the file types it downloaded?

From reviewing my dataflash logs, which were painstakingly pulled using UDP, they include a .bin, .jpeg, text file .log, and a .gxp file.

@rrmccabe what folder did you copy from the solo using the AndFTP app? What are the file types it downloaded?

From reviewing my dataflash logs, which were painstakingly pulled using UDP, they include a .bin, .jpeg, text file .log, and a .gxp file.

I am going to reconnect and look now. But what I pulled from the Solo I think was /logs/quadcopter/1

This is screen shot of my folder. Want to make sure I did not grab wrong stuff.logs.jpg

Yea that's the same folder I was in earlier. Unfortunately, these are not dataflash logs. They only range from a few KB to maybe single MB in size and they do not update the dates like the logs do. I'm thinking that the only way to get the true logs is with UDP connection via MP......

The reason being, we need to connect to the pixhawk inside the solo. I think right now we are just finding the root folder of the solo files and not establishing a connection with the pixhawk.

Yea that's the same folder I was in earlier. Unfortunately, these are not dataflash logs. They only range from a few KB to maybe single MB in size and they do not update the dates like the logs do. I'm thinking that the only way to get the true logs is with UDP connection via MP......

The reason being, we need to connect to the pixhawk inside the solo. I think right now we are just finding the root folder of the solo files and not establishing a connection with the pixhawk.

I think you are right. With SCP we are connecting of course to 10.1.1.10 which is the Linux computer on the Solo. When we connect with UDP it is allows us to get the log files on the Pixhawk. I downloaded the #1 log from the Solo and it brought about 90 files with it including no GPS images (JPG), Bin files, logs files, various others and Google KMZ files. The KMZ took me to Tijuana. So guessing that is a test file or initial file that comes with the system from 3DR Tijuana

Thoughts?

Yep, that's it. Hence the password, Tijuana San Diego back at you.

I just looked at the date codes and from the time I got my solo in June, started downloading those logs.

I did look in the git hub for the solo and found they are current working on a way save the logs to the controller to allow for much easier retrieval. Once that gets finished it will have to go through testing and then 3dr can release it. Oh how I love opensource.

Reactions: Raybro
Actually if you think about it there is no authentication on the Pixhawk logs. And the port is different. On an odd chance I thought I would try to switch the port to the one Mission planner uses with no authentication.. No luck as I was still using the wrong protocol.

Honestly, I cant ever remember running across a UDP client. Typically its enterprise stuff built in. I am checking with the Hacker group to see their thoughts.

Right, no authentication with UDP connection. It always uses port 14550 too. I'm curious as to what the bottleneck is. Is the baud rate too low? Is the issue because we are going through the WiFi access point on the controller and then into the solo?

Well even the SCP connection is WiFi so don't think that's the limiting factor.

If anything I would say its the connection to the Pixhawk from the linux computer or maybe the pixhawk does not deal well with that kind of connectivity.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig