How To: Reading Solo Logs

Probably the reason they are working on a way of getting them on the controller. Pretty interesting stuff....

Yes, with a limiting selection of 115200 data rate you are limited to an Extremely slow speed for anything but small files.

I did a port scan of my Controller: Without the Solo connected, there was only IP 10.1.1.1 available, and that showed only ports 22 (SSH) and 53 (DNS) active.

Then I turned on m Solo.. after it connected I did another port scan.

The Solo showed up as IP 10.1.1.10 (using a SENAO Networks as a Vendor).
Port scanning the 10.1.1.10 still showed only ports 22 and 53 open.

Of course there could be more ports being used, but they don't show up on an open port scan.

Mission planner is using the standard 14550 port.

One thing I did try was changing the speed that MP connects. By default its at 115200. They have an option for 1500000 which I tried and at first I thought it picked up about 20% but I tested all testings about 3 times to be accurate and in the end it was same as the default 115200.

I also went clear down to 9600 and no change. Basically for me to check logs 1,2 and 3 and download takes roughly 3 minutes. I think they are pretty small files as if I check all of them which would include my flight log it turns into an hours thing.

I did a port scan of my Controller: Without the Solo connected, there was only IP 10.1.1.1 available, and that showed only ports 22 (SSH) and 53 (DNS) active.

Then I turned on m Solo.. after it connected I did another port scan.

The Solo showed up as IP 10.1.1.10 (using a SENAO Networks as a Vendor).
Port scanning the 10.1.1.10 still showed only ports 22 and 53 open.

Of course there could be more ports being used, but they don't show up on an open port scan.

This was my scan of all possible ports on both controller and solo:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Just got some info off the mod forum. I am working on a process to automate this and make it easy. But found out if you log into Solo and "run loadLog.py latest" you will be able to get all the logs you want.

I am trying to find a client that will allow the command to run via a script and transfer the created log files from the device to the Android where I will have access to them.

So sounding promising.

@rrmccabe I've been meaning to update this. I've found out today how to use the script you suggested and have been downloading dataflash logs all night. Now, the latest command will only pull the last dataflash log available. Then you can use each of the previous log numbers to download the rest of the logs you want.

Post the info on your config please so I dont have to reinvent the wheel !

Thanks for the update.

I have been using putty to log into the solo, not the controller. Once connected, I log into the root folder with the known password. I then run (loadLog.py latest) which flushes the most recent dataflash log from the pixhawk to the solo log directory. This also gives me the most recent dataflash log number. After it downloads, I then download the other logs in a descending order to get them all. It's as easy as running (loadLog.py 50), for log number 50, so on and so forth.

After I have downloaded all of the dataflash logs I want, I then use WinSCP to SSH into the solo and direct myself to the /log folder. There I will find all of my logs, log50.bin, and copy them to my local drive. Easy, squeezy!

One thing I have ran into, it seems like the pixhawk likes to timeout after a while. I will successfully be able to download several logs and then, all at once, I won't be able to get anymore. I can tell when this happens, because during the flushing of the logs, there is a response that sends back, No heartbeat received. Right now the work around is to reboot the solo. Once rebooted it lets me download more logs, and eventually times out again. I haven't figured out if there is a script I can run to "refresh" the pixhawk connection to keep it live.

Reactions: rrmccabe
Thanks for the info on the script!

Another tip: you can enter *.* in mission planner so you don't have to rename your log files

Hi,
I want to connect My Solo drone in Mission Planner and How can I do it with UDP or TCP.
Please Help Me
Thanks

I have been using putty to log into the solo, not the controller. Once connected, I log into the root folder with the known password. I then run (loadLog.py latest) which flushes the most recent dataflash log from the pixhawk to the solo log directory. This also gives me the most recent dataflash log number. After it downloads, I then download the other logs in a descending order to get them all. It's as easy as running (loadLog.py 50), for log number 50, so on and so forth.

After I have downloaded all of the dataflash logs I want, I then use WinSCP to SSH into the solo and direct myself to the /log folder. There I will find all of my logs, log50.bin, and copy them to my local drive. Easy, squeezy!

One thing I have ran into, it seems like the pixhawk likes to timeout after a while. I will successfully be able to download several logs and then, all at once, I won't be able to get anymore. I can tell when this happens, because during the flushing of the logs, there is a response that sends back, No heartbeat received. Right now the work around is to reboot the solo. Once rebooted it lets me download more logs, and eventually times out again. I haven't figured out if there is a script I can run to "refresh" the pixhawk connection to keep it live.

So what is the significance of the .bin file? I just tried running the phyton script on the solo (loadLog.py latest) and I see new logs in the log directory but no .bin file. I'm trying to reproduce whatever it is that mission planner does as I can't seem to open regular solo.log files in MP. The tlogs work fine..

So what is the significance of the .bin file? I just tried running the phyton script on the solo (loadLog.py latest) and I see new logs in the log directory but no .bin file. I'm trying to reproduce whatever it is that mission planner does as I can't seem to open regular solo.log files in MP. The tlogs work fine..
The .bin file is the dataflash log from the solo, it is located on the solo. It has a lot more information than your tlog pulled from the controller. In MP you have to go to the dataflash tab to load one of these logs, and it does not do any playback of this log.

The .bin file is the dataflash log from the solo, it is located on the solo. It has a lot more information than your tlog pulled from the controller. In MP you have to go to the dataflash tab to load one of these logs, and it does not do any playback of this log.
Ah ok. We're getting closer. So is bin file sitting in /logs or do I have to run the phython script to get it? I think I was on the controller when I ran the script the first time.

cli command would be easy use ubuntu and access something like this ssh >>> solo or [email protected] (x stands for number) in debian base root access type this sudo -i once your in edit using sudo nano example.conf to save hit ctrl o to restart your config file without rebooting the solo machine >> sudo service (name of conf file) restart. other alternative use putty apps for windows users

What's in example.conf? What config file? I guess I still need to understand how the dataflash is produced. I thought the .log files were dataflash and tlogs were telemetry logs. I know my way around a Unix machine but I'm not following what you're saying with regard to the config files.

I started to figure out how to download logs and made progress with a number of the methods described here-- but didn't have ultimate success given various issues along the way. I'll try again but in the meantime I'd just like to say that it seems to me 3DR could make it a HELLUVA lot easier to work with logs with just a little programming on their part! :rolleyes:

are you familiar in tail -f command? tail -f is what im using to read the logs

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fatbeatle