Best Buy Solo bundle $399

^Agreed. I think there Is more shelf stocking going on from existing owners than flying from new owners.
I just got into an intense discussion with a video production manager. He wants to purchase the GOPRo Karma because of it's compactness and the handgrip. I told him, "there is only a difference less than 6" in height when packed-up." I also told him, "for $399 +tax you get way more features and production value from the SOLO." He said, The value is the compactness.
I understand the compactness, but I do not understand why people fail to see all the features of the SOLO and the open software so that developers can develop more features versus the gopro Karma apears to be closed.

I have 4 of the darn things (one still unopened), and one more waiting at my local BB to pick up that I'll probably cancel. I ordered that one to hedge my bet during the first evening of BB's most recent $399 sale. I did get the $100 refund the next day though - just want the credit to hit my CC before I give up on that newest BB Solo.

I do see a lot of post #1's on the board, but perhaps an equal amount of crazies like me.

Put me in as a new user... The Solo joins my Phantom 4. Does two make a fleet?
LOL... I wish.. Congrats to the purchase!!!! I think a fleet is at least 8...JEJE.. I prefer to say squadron, but I am not even a squadron because like you I only have two sUAS.

Some people say there is no difference in the contents.
I disagree.
I have a Solo from 2015 with the box on the right, it had no extensions.
I bought one from BB 2 days ago, it looked like the box on the left, It HAD extensions!

Same here, my original Solo didn't have the extensions, 3DR sent them after I registered. But both of the ones I bought during the Best Buy sales had the Solo horizontal on the box, and both included the extensions. Unfortunately, neither came with the rev B GPS, although be it the latest firmware or just plain 'ol luck, my latest one gets really good satellite reception. I'm typically 8 to 9 after a minute or so, and 12 once I'm above tree height.

On the sales numbers, I'm sure some of them are new users, but yea, I have to think most are existing customers taking advantage of an amazing sale. Solo's capabilities, with the extras, for $400 is insane.

but perhaps an equal amount of crazies like me
Hey who you calling crazy? Haha.... I've got several also and so far have resisted the sirens calling from the BestBuy shoals for yet another one. I have too many, but I have flown them all and they worked fine out of the box with me installing the gimbals. All updates went OK, no erratic fly aways, no weird behavior. I did exchange one twitchy gimbal for one I bought directly from 3DR, but no issues with these birds they fly great. I wish I could fly them in a swarm, that would be so cool to watch.

I am a new owner/member. Yesterday I bought the bundle from BB (Drone, extra battery, gimbal and propellers). I had $50 in rewards points and already own a GoPro Hero3 so this whole thing cost me $350, pretty amazing value. I cant wait to get going with this. I did a little flying last night but not much.

New buyer here. Excited for it. My Best Buy receipt says "you saved $768 dollars"! Though bummed my existing GoPro 3+ silver really doesn't work with all of the features. Looking to upgrade that.

Took a few first flights and am happy so far. Easy to fly.

I just got into an intense discussion with a video production manager. He wants to purchase the GOPRo Karma because of it's compactness and the handgrip. I told him, "there is only a difference less than 6" in height when packed-up." I also told him, "for $399 +tax you get way more features and production value from the SOLO." He said, The value is the compactness.
I understand the compactness, but I do not understand why people fail to see all the features of the SOLO and the open software so that developers can develop more features versus the gopro Karma apears to be closed.

its a tragedy. i don't understand why people don't 'get' all the features of solo. but if dji puts those same features in a phantom, all of a sudden its innovative.

Reactions: EROC
its a tragedy. i don't understand why people don't 'get' all the features of solo. but if dji puts those same features in a phantom, all of a sudden its innovative.

It really is a shame. People are way too enamored with questionably useful features, but it probably shouldn't come as a surprise with how people jump on every bandwagon that comes along - smartphones with 8 core processors, 4k monitors/TV's, 8k loop times on ESCs, you name it, it's happening in every industry. We've become a society of mindless consumers - ohhh, something new, I HAVE TO HAVE IT, my previous product is now JUNK!!!

The best feature of the Solo is the open nature, and Solex is a perfect example. I'm not saying Solo is/was without it's issues, but as a platform resistant to obsolescence, it does stand alone.

I believe 2 is a "flight," 4 is a "squadron" and 8 is a "wing." Can anyone confirm that? ;)

Now if they would just include a pair of Ray-Bans with a purchase of 2 or more... :D

Hey all. New solo owner took advantage of the $399 BB package (almost bought two). My local store didn't have all of the parts so I picked up the drone and the rest is being shipped to my house for free and two day shipping. For that price point it can't be beat. I didn't realize that it required at least a Hero3+ to operate properly... I only had an old Hero3 Sliver. Soooo I bought a new Hero4 Sliver too. ^_^ can't wait to get the gimbal in the next day or so and get it going. BTW how do I know if my unit has the rev B gps unit? Is it by SN or what?

Reactions: Ed.it.Ed
Rev A board is green. Rev B board is black. You can see the edge of the board under the copper shield if you remove the GPS cover. There are some youtube videos showing it easier than I can explain. Slim tool like a nail file will work to unclip cover, but watching a video makes it clear. I think Relish 3D shows it in one of theirs. I just got a couple from Best buy and they didn't have rev B.

Reactions: Ed.it.Ed
Yup, it's not impossible, but very unlikely you'd get a Rev B board. None of my recent purchases came with it. Luckily, the latest firmware definitely seems to have improved time-to-fix even on the Rev A boards.

OK, now that I have a flight ( have 2 now), what do I do with the second one........:confused:

Hey all. New solo owner took advantage of the $399 BB package (almost bought two). My local store didn't have all of the parts so I picked up the drone and the rest is being shipped to my house for free and two day shipping. For that price point it can't be beat. I didn't realize that it required at least a Hero3+ to operate properly... I only had an old Hero3 Sliver. Soooo I bought a new Hero4 Sliver too. ^_^ can't wait to get the gimbal in the next day or so and get it going. BTW how do I know if my unit has the rev B gps unit? Is it by SN or what?

What made you decide to go with the 4 silver over the black? I need to upgrade too, but not sure which to go for.

Stopped tonight and picked up number three, this price can't get better or last? Still waiting on 3DR to respond to why I can't register my Solos.

Last edited:
Reactions: truoccm

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M