At Best Buy: Backpacks sold out, props on backorder, looks like we are winding down

Hello this is my first write up and I am having a blast with my solo.

I wanted to check if anyone was interested in trading 3dr solo backpack for spare batteries (of course 1 for 1 trade). I am in San Jose area and currently have two extra backpacks, I ordered one as a gift and one for myself but both myself and my friend decided to get the backpack package instead.

Let me know if anyone is interested (prefer to local trades if possible)

Thank you ~ happy flying

the above is a sweet deal if you need a backpack and could spare a battery, he could get more than that if he wasn't being so generous, they are $95 on amazon currently.

for the real reason for the post, i decided to to price match the batteries which they did easily and no problems at all. granted i only got $10 back but its $10. now for the free gimbal deal, i was able to get the free gimbal but it wasn't a simple here you go experience. in store it wasn't showing the gimbal as free and the cs rep was thinking the preinstalled gimbal with the backpack bundle was the one i was supposed to get for free as opposed to a second one. if i didnt get the backup gimbal free i would have had to reorder another bundle. so just be prepared if you go to the store and end up having to buy a new bundle to get the free gimbal. i wonder what crazy deal will be next week, buy one get one free? lol

Thank you for the reminder. Don't need any back steps here, even though many have a great experience with version one, and at least there are simple remedies.

I think most everything left is Ver2. 2 circles on sticker, sticker on bottom of box, and Serial as noted at the beginning are all of the identifiers I have seen thus far. Not one of the backpacks I have seen are version one, so I concur.

my backpack bundle doesn't have the 2 circles on the sticker, it is a ver 2 black gps board though.

Great news! I figured the older ones should have been cleared out by now. I found the serial number to be dead on. What was your Serial after the A? for example A5AXXXX I found that ones past about A5A1XXXX seemed to be the cutoff or perhaps 1000 lower. I am sure you will enjoy it. I have tried a number of other units recently and quite frankly there isn't anything remotely close for $300 without adding any extras, meaning the base package alone. Just my initial experience, but I am pretty green in this hobby/sport/profession.

Thank you for the reminder. Don't need any back steps here, even though many have a great experience with version one, and at least there are simple remedies.

I think most everything left is Ver2. 2 circles on sticker, sticker on bottom of box, and Serial as noted at the beginning are all of the identifiers I have seen thus far. Not one of the backpacks I have seen are version one, so I concur.

Interesting. I'm still catching up with Solo. Which sticker will have two circles? Which serial numbers are 2.0? I have a sticker on the bottom of the box with serial number, but is this the sticker? What information would I be looking for?

I've done some searching, but haven't found anything definitive.

Great news! I figured the older ones should have been cleared out by now. I found the serial number to be dead on. What was your Serial after the A? for example A5AXXXX I found that ones past about A5A1XXXX seemed to be the cutoff or perhaps 1000 lower. I am sure you will enjoy it. I have tried a number of other units recently and quite frankly there isn't anything remotely close for $300 without adding any extras, meaning the base package alone. Just my initial experience, but I am pretty green in this hobby/sport/profession.

Douglas my new serial is a5B0xxxx, which is the backpack bundle. the other ver 1 had a a50xxxxx serial. both bottoms of the boxes circles and stickers are the same.. and welcome from another new to the drone experience person

Have you opened it? If so, a quick visual inspection is very easy. Just slide off the GPS cover(carefully) and you will see a black(or brownish) PCB or a green one. The later being version one and the black or brown being v2? What is your serial after the A (AXXXXX) If it is A1A10XXX or A1BXXXX or higher that would be an outside of the box indicator. I think all of mine had the two circles on the sticker(one on the Antenna logo and one one surrounding the letters (PSE or similar). Post a shot and I will give you my advice if concerned. I've been through about 10, and observed many more in stores.

Douglas my new serial is a5B0xxxx, which is the backpack bundle. the other ver 1 had a a50xxxxx serial. both bottoms of the boxes circles and stickers are the same.. and welcome from another new to the drone experience person
You are all good!!!! No wories with that serial and the fact that it is the backpack one. I have yet to see a backpack unit with gimbal pre-installed that didn't have v2. Enjoy your Solo!

Interesting. I'm still catching up with Solo. Which sticker will have two circles? Which serial numbers are 2.0? I have a sticker on the bottom of the box with serial number, but is this the sticker? What information would I be looking for?

I've done some searching, but haven't found anything definitive.

sushi, the white sticker on the box bottom that has the p/n s/n numbers, some have 2 circle markings in the middle, one which is a no one under 18 and the other looks like a T with a lightning bolt, maybe don't get close to power lines marking. if you look at sticker under s/n s111a5??????, then depends on your numbers after that. if you pop the cover off in front of the battery you can see inside if the board is black or green. its easy to do to make sure which one but we should be able to help if you say what just the next 2 numbers are

You are all good!!!! No wories with that serial and the fact that it is the backpack one. I have yet to see a backpack unit with gimbal pre-installed that didn't have v2. Enjoy your Solo!
thanks i popped the cover and saw black, my other is green. i did see either from here or the 3dr owners group on Facebook someone had gotten a backpack bundle with a ver 1 gps.

sushi, the white sticker on the box bottom that has the p/n s/n numbers, some have 2 circle markings in the middle, one which is a no one under 18 and the other looks like a T with a lightning bolt, maybe don't get close to power lines marking. if you look at sticker under s/n s111a5??????, then depends on your numbers after that. if you pop the cover off in front of the battery you can see inside if the board is black or green. its easy to do to make sure which one but we should be able to help if you say what just the next 2 numbers are
I think all A5Bs are good being after the A1A11s which I can confirm.

Have you opened it? If so, a quick visual inspection is very easy. Just slide off the GPS cover(carefully) and you will see a black(or brownish) PCB or a green one. The later being version one and the black or brown being v2? What is your serial after the A (AXXXXX) If it is A1A10XXX or A1BXXXX or higher that would be an outside of the box indicator. I think all of mine had the two circles on the sticker(one on the Antenna logo and one one surrounding the letters (PSE or similar). Post a shot and I will give you my advice if concerned. I've been through about 10, and observed many more in stores.

Serial numbers for both are S111A59XXXXX and S111A5A06XXX. I'll open them up in a bit.

thanks i popped the cover and saw black, my other is green. i did see either from here or the 3dr owners group on Facebook someone had gotten a backpack bundle with a ver 1 gps.
Just keep in mind that the v1 is not necessarily bad, I swapped one of mine out simply because I could, but it worked perfectly, and locked in my area in about <90 seconds. My best one is about 45 seconds, both worked fine in the air. The M8N is the real upgrade, but I haven't thought too much about it being the success I have had with the originals.

Just keep in mind that the v1 is not necessarily bad, I swapped one of mine out simply because I could, but it worked perfectly, and locked in my area in about <90 seconds. My best one is about 45 seconds, both worked fine in the air. The M8N is the real upgrade, but I haven't thought too much about it being the success I have had with the originals.

Okay, so am I looking for the shield cover? Like, when I open the gimbal cover, I see shiny black shield.

Edit: I've popped open the top cover and discovered green on the A5A06XXX. The other is still sealed in the box. Will it have green?

Last edited:

A590, is this rev a? Still sealed in box.

Edit: Found the relevant link
Get a Rev B GPS on BB Solos without the guesswork

Last edited:
Hello this is my first write up and I am having a blast with my solo.

I wanted to check if anyone was interested in trading 3dr solo backpack for spare batteries (of course 1 for 1 trade). I am in San Jose area and currently have two extra backpacks, I ordered one as a gift and one for myself but both myself and my friend decided to get the backpack package instead.

Let me know if anyone is interested (prefer to local trades if possible)

Thank you ~ happy flying
You're in San Jose, Fry's has the batteries in stock (at least the one in Fremont had 50+ batteries when I looked on Sunday), and they'll price match Best Buy. Print the Best Buy battery sale page/listing for $29.99 (as of 9:55pm on 1/25) and go in and get some spare batteries. No trading needed :)

I just picked up my backpack bundle from best buy, then price matched Fry's for a 29.99 battery. All in, $330. Fairly cheap compared to other hobbies. Looking forward to my first flight. If only there were places that actually allowed me to fly in LA.

Okay, so am I looking for the shield cover? Like, when I open the gimbal cover, I see shiny black shield.

Edit: I've popped open the top cover and discovered green on the A5A06XXX. The other is still sealed in the box. Will it have green?

you opened the one i was pretty sure was a ver b. i don't think we know for sure when they switch but noticed that if your number is A5A1 it was high enough. the A590 is either just before the switch or at the beginning. i haven't seen anyone open one with that number. if you go to the above link you posted there was someone on page 2 i believe that had a A5A09 s/n and had the rev b board.

Last edited:
Guys, you are focusing WAAAAY too much concern on Rev A vs Rev B. Both work fine, both have some limitations. In my experience, my Rev A Solo gets a GPS lock faster than my Rev B Solo does. Neither have ever lost GPS lock in my limited experience with both. Just get a Solo and fly it for fun and excitement.

Rev A & Rev B == plAceBo effect.
Next, try placing Solo facing N, E, S, W, NW, SW, SE, NE to observe the speed of GPS lock.

Reactions: SARDG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44