Who here is going to bail??

@rrmccabe - Now wouldn't it be interesting if you received both the bird and gimbal before others???? I hope that will be the case. Good luck!

Yea I don't think that will be the case. I have two packages coming but assume #2 is batteries.

Although they did take my gimbal money.

I had a Solo for 2 days. It has some great potential once the bugs are worked out and they are able to move on to new upgrades and enhancements in the software. I think the major issue right now is that 3DR fell to consumer whines and released the product too soon.. Yes there are confirmed bugs in the 1st software release and a new version was released yesterday. They still show about 7 open issues on the software development area in GitHub.

All in all, with the Gimbal still on track to be a mid July release, and the dedication the 3DR support is giving to the flight logs to correct any software issues. I believe the Solo should be ready for a True release sometime early Aug.

btw: The reason I no longer have my Solo is a hardware failure and was told it would be mid July - Aug before I could expect a replacement Solo. So I took a refund and will re evaluate the Solo to see how the issues have been solved. And at that time just go to Best Buy and pick one up locally. The stock shortage should be over by than as well.

Not bailing but decided to go back to the fence for a while.

Sorry, what kind of hardware failure did you have? At least you had an option for a refund...;)

Interesting, "They still show about 7 open issues on the software development area in GitHub." That's really interesting, seems strange that a manufacture would be so open with this type of information. Kind of refreshing!!!!!!!!!!

I also confirm that rmm is a much needed resource here. I thought about P3, you all know the "why not's" there, fence-sitting,???,much too impatient for that as I suspect the rest of us are. Did/do I expect a glitch or two,,absolutely!! So far has been perfect. I was thinking when I picked up the box,,"Is mine going to be the problem child??". Still to be decided but,,,The Warranty, the replacements, the return policies, the "try and buy" guarantee,,geez,,,the overt evidence that CS and TS are working their butts off. Rush to market? Ha! This isn't a "let's play nice children" scenario. Best mousetrap wins in the end and SOLO is an excellent entry against a known player,,,even without the gimbal,,. 3DR knows where the weakness is and is going for their throat. This Christmas the high demand item is forecast to be???yes,,drones. 3DR will have a basketfull of enhancements to SOLO entering the Christmas season. Maybe DJI will have P4 as an upgrade path. Jus' sayin'

Reactions: Raybro
3DR is on phone now. More misinformation. I called them yesterday to say since you took my preorder my expiration date has changed on CC. They said don't worry its fine as we have already put hold on your account.

So they just called me and said hey we cant charge your CC as its expired. Doh !

So I give them update info and they say thank you your solo will ship by the 25th...... WTF ? I said wait cancel the order as I was told it would ship today. Oh sorry, yes it ship today.

Before he hangs up he says thanks for your order it will ship by the twenty... I mean today.

My trust goes down hill daily with these guys. And by the way they are all shipping from China one at a time.

So once again DodgeP it really doesn't have anything to do with the waiting although where I live half my flying season is gone. Its about customer service. I would rather have had a P3 but the customer service sucks. So I decided to buy a Solo where apparently the customer service.....

Not to mention they are charging me the $399 for the gimbal even though its not ready.

China?
They have a production plant in Tijuana Mexico.

Thinking about the new GoPro drone in 2016... They have the resources to design a good drone...
I wouldn't mind betting that the GoPro drone uses a good chunk of tech from the Solo.
3DR and GoPro have a pretty tight relationship.

I almost wonder whether it would have been better for 3DR to turn the solo over to GoPro rather than trying to do it themselves. They have really hashed this launch up. Great tech company but they are struggling on execution which is where it really matters.

Those that say that this launch hasn't been hashed... replace the solo with a GoPro and imagine if GoPro did this...

- Launched a product encouraging pre-orders but then shipping to stores before shipping the pre-orders.
- Leaving half the product out because it isn't ready yet and giving people an extra GoPro battery while they wait for the other half of their GoPro to arrive.

3DR hashed the launch? GoPro taking over? Let me see, GoPro props would cost 19.99 each, not by the pair. Batteries would be $229 each, but would be $289 if you bought one with the dual bay charger....

@Toby - No disrespect, but I think it's an exaggeration saying two weeks from launch it's a hashed up launch. If it were multi-billion dollar GoPro, then sure, give them hell for the delay. First world problem....

For any of those interested in a side by side, same time filming of solo vs p3p , GPS hold, RTH, etc i just posted my video.
Im no pro, so dont knock the production value :)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

For any of those interested in a side by side, same time filming of solo vs p3p , GPS hold, RTH, etc i just posted my video.
Very much enjoyed your sided by side comparison and flying them both at the same time. Nicely done and well spoken. Thank you..

Very good! Thanks for sharing.:)

I am not concerned about it. Just another 3DR screw up.

UPS my Choice on my phone alerts me when I have packages coming to my address. So I have the correct tracking numbers

At least UPS is on top of things.

I am not concerned about it. Just another 3DR screw up.

UPS my Choice on my phone alerts me when I have packages coming to my address. So I have the correct tracking numbers

At least UPS is on top of things.

All you need to top things off is to find an iris+ in the box instead of a solo :D

Thanks for the nice replies.
FYI, i am on the way to canada for a week with no email/forum access... Ill check this thread etc throughout the day until i cross the border.
Any questions about the head to head comparison im happy to answer.
The only perceived downside that i see head to head is the 0-60 of the solo. Some people want more zip in that spot. I dont care that much. Other than that, i think they are nearly equal.
Ill give the nod to the solo for the future improvements that are sure to be made with mods and open software.

Reactions: Raybro

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000