With the new laws out it would be nice to have a study group thread

Reaction score
So due diligence I was looking at and trying to understand all of the Simi new laws surrounding UAV Hobby and Commercial and after loosing half of my hair while the other half prematurely turned grey I have figured out one way or another they are going to get that pound of flesh.
I say semi new because for the commercial side these laws haven't really changed not yet anyway. For non-commercial flying outside of the AMA umbrella however it's a whole new ball game. Let's face it, That is the whole reason for drone flight we want to be able to take a craft to places that isn't an RC airfield
While $150 bucks for the test isn't too crazy, I don't know if that is 150 per attempt or how may attempts you are allowed it would be a lot easier to be able to ask questions about the technical side of these tests and it will make for better fliers
I bet some actual flight instructors and or licensed pilots floating around here that I would hope who would be willing to answer and offer guidance for those prepping for the test

$150 per attempt. No limit but there is a wait period between each attempt. One week I think. I just renewed after two years. Shorter exam for renewal.

Unfortunately it's a buck fifty each time. So study up and pass it the first time. Good luck!
So due diligence I was looking at and trying to understand all of the Simi new laws surrounding UAV Hobby and Commercial and after loosing half of my hair while the other half prematurely turned grey I have figured out one way or another they are going to get that pound of flesh.
I say semi new because for the commercial side these laws haven't really changed not yet anyway. For non-commercial flying outside of the AMA umbrella however it's a whole new ball game. Let's face it, That is the whole reason for drone flight we want to be able to take a craft to places that isn't an RC airfield
While $150 bucks for the test isn't too crazy, I don't know if that is 150 per attempt or how may attempts you are allowed it would be a lot easier to be able to ask questions about the technical side of these tests and it will make for better fliers
I bet some actual flight instructors and or licensed pilots floating around here that I would hope who would be willing to answer and offer guidance for those prepping for the test

Is there a link where one could see all the new laws your referring to? Sorry I've had alot going on lately so I've not had much time to hop on to talk or to even fly for that matter... Thanks!

Spend thousands on an airplane and a private pilot's license........................... then you can just apply for a waiver to fly the drone commercially, no test involved... other than the test for your private pilots license.

Remotepilot101.com
One time cost for life. Excellent video series. Everything you need to know to fly safely and pass the first time. Worked for me. You'll need to review every two years.

Got my Remote Pilot almost two years ago. I'm retired and don't fly commercially but I have benefited by being certified as an ice breaker in my world.

There are several excellent FB Study Groups that help prepare those to take the FAA exam.

The FAA provides reams of detailed information online. This is a place to start from.
Getting Started

I posted this little rant on the FB Solo Group I help moderate that might be useful-

A word, OK lots of words, about US (FAA) UAS regulations-

Originally here in the States when the federal government imposed UAS regulations of our national air space (NAS) through the FAA they were focused on commercial operations. Recreational UAS operations was delegated to what is termed a CBO (community based organization). The AMA is really the only viable CBO out there. They were organized decades ago as a RC group and for the most part had no use for Multirotors. UAS as we know it was begrudgingly Incorporated into the AMA guidelines but there was no real oversight or penalty for errant opperation. The AMA did benefit, and I suspect still does, from a resurgence of new dues paying membership. I am a member only for the liability insurance that is afforded all AMA members.

In the FAA's continued efforts to impose countermeasures to errant UAS use they convinced the US Legislature last Fall to place oversight of recreational opps to federal control. Understand that currently only the military, and only to protect military establishments, can under law "shoot down" errant drones.

What this all means is there will soon be new and enforceable regulations which will replace the guidelines of the CBO that had no teeth. There is a lot of speculation as to exactly what will come but it will come and soon.

Along with new recreational guidance there will be laws that will govern countermeasures outlining who, when, and how they can be deployed. Several solutions are being developed by the private sector to hopefully be included in the new laws. Currently shooting a UAV out of the sky carries the same ramifications as shooting at manned aircraft.

Find a club with an r/c field near open airspace where you can fly. My club is near a river inlet. I fly from the field, over the inlet.. over the coastline, over an island.. 2 miles out.

AMA membership costs $70.00/year. Club costs me $100.00/year. Membership allows me to fly as a guest at any AMA registered field. The membership dues and fees take a cut from any money I Ave for new r/c aircraft kits.

Some of my videos are posted here.

I have Two 3DR Solos , 1 parrot disco, 1 parrot bebop 2, 1 HK cloudsurfer , 1 rmrc flying wing, 1 Nano Talon.

I am currently building an r/c hovercraft that will use a px4.

Because of the idiots out there laws have been passed that restrict our hobby.

I was gearing up for a FPV flight from my r/c club to cuttyhunk island and back.
The flight would have been in visual range of a dedicated spotter equipped with binoculars. The new doc rules limit spotting to visual by the pilot with an unaided eye.

Sucks.

My HK cloudsurfer with px4 autopilot could make that trip.

I am starting to get into amphibious and marine drones. I am sure as soon as I have a marine amphibious drone capable of making it from the beach out to a large sandbar that's about a mile away... Laws will get passed to prevent it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo