What is the max hours for solo brash motors before change out

Reaction score
Would anyone have any datasheet on that? I have done over 80hrs so far and would like to know when I should change motors.. I have been flying solo everyday for about 12mins since April 2018 with total of 330 usage with a Sony R10C camera. Cheers

thank you .. seems the same as the DJI's quated a DJI Pilot simiar site. would there be a formal datasheet from 3DR floating around?

Iv never seen one that shows that info. When we first bought Solo's 3DR came to train the first group of pilots for us and that was a question we asked at the time. Iv had to change out 1 or 2 motors before that time came because bearings were starting to wobble. We go more on condition that time frame.

Reality is that the bearings wear out. The ESC and motor components are fine in most cases. Just replace the bearings with known quality. Max a couple of hours worth of work and fairly easy after the first one. Several older threads discussing bearings here on the forum. Money and time well spent...

Nice find DJMc, I couldn't find the reference earlier this AM. I was looking in the service manual. Which is another good resource to have. https://3dr.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Solo_Service_V3a_10_30.pdf

Reality is that the bearings wear out. The ESC and motor components are fine in most cases. Just replace the bearings with known quality. Max a couple of hours worth of work and fairly easy after the first one. Several older threads discussing bearings here on the forum. Money and time well spent...

Nice find DJMc, I couldn't find the reference earlier this AM. I was looking in the service manual. Which is another good resource to have. https://3dr.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Solo_Service_V3a_10_30.pdf
Thank you Rich too....I knew vaguely I'd seen a maintenance manual link on the forum but couldn't find it. That will be useful for my UK PfCO application later this year.

The circle (orbit?) is complete....much appreciated.

Reactions: Richard Nawara
Would anyone have a similar service manual for a P4 Pro??? I looked around the DJI site and count not locate any... maybe I should stay away from them? Please share if anyone has a link...

Service Manual

Is there any way to check the motor pods before you fly? Are people just rotating them and feeling for and wobble or resistance?

Getting the "feel" of healthy pods by turning them between your fingers and comparing with suspected ones is probably the best method. Temperature can help expose worn pods as well. A sound check is also helpful. Finally the Motor Run utility in Solex is an excellent tool. By spinning the motors over individually helps you to compare them both for sound and wind down. A failing pod will stop more abruptly on cut off.
Is there any way to check the motor pods before you fly? Are people just rotating them and feeling for and wobble or resistance?

Reactions: blahdc
Getting the "feel" of healthy pods by turning them between your fingers and comparing with suspected ones is probably the best method. Temperature can help expose worn pods as well. A sound check is also helpful. Finally the Motor Run utility in Solex is an excellent tool. By spinning the motors over individually helps you to compare them both for sound and wind down. A failing pod will stop more abruptly on cut off.
Thanks this is really helpful. When you mention temperature can expose worn pods, how are you testing this? Letting a pod run for 5-10 minutes and shooting it with a IR temp gun?

Thanks this is really helpful. When you mention temperature can expose worn pods, how are you testing this? Letting a pod run for 5-10 minutes and shooting it with a IR temp gun?
Ahhhh, I wish I could say that I am. My method is far less scientific. After a flight I carefully examine the pods to see if any are exceptionally warm to the touch.

Ahhhh, I wish I could say that I am. My method is far less scientific. After a flight I carefully examine the pods to see if any are exceptionally warm to the touch.
Makes sense to me and simple to do! Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo