Well, I'm I need of (3DR) group therapy!

Reaction score
Fellas, I'm about to give up.
Here's my entire story.

I originally purchased a Solo back when it went on sale for $400 with the gimbal, spare blades and battery. I figured it was the best deal since I owned a Hero 3. After the first flight, I wasn't happy with the footage so I dropped $500 on a Hero 4 Black. Second flight with the new camera, it flew away. Luckily, I was low on battery and it didn't go too far before landing and I recovered it a few hours later. I went ahead and returned it and the Hero 4 Black to Best Buy and preordered a Mavic Pro.

As you all know, the Mavic was greatly delayed and the Solo went on sale for $300 with a gimbal and a bag. The Hero 4 also went down to $350 so I jumped back in. Then I had a flip over a few flights later... Luckily for me, Best Buy replaced my unit under warranty.

Winter came on in Michigan and like an idiot I tried to fly Solo indoors...crash. Wrecked the blades and damaged the gimbal. Oh well, they were on sale so I bought another entire kit with a spare battery and blades. Then since the batteries and blades were also on sale, I bought some of those too.

Lastly, since the gimbal was $40 I bought another one of those too. So now I have two complete systems. Yay.

Well today, Michigan decided to bless us with a nice day in February. 55 degrees and sunny. I flew my bird Monday so I thought it was ready to go. I made sure everything was charged last night. I took care of some work stuff this morning and by 2 pm I was ready to go. So I grabbed my Solo back pack, threw it in the car and away I went.

My plan was to drive about an hour to the coast of Lake Michigan and catch some shots of the dunes and maybe some boats. So I got there and after about a half hour hike, I'd reached the perfect spot. I broke out my gear, powered everything up and my controller said "waiting for solo". I turned everything off and on several times but the same phrase greeted me each time. What to do?

I pulled out my trusty pocket computer, aka smart phone, googled how to pair the controller. Oh well that looks easy...um I don't have a paper clip. Crap! I hiked back to the car, found a small Allen wrench and tried to pair it several times, no luck. Disappointed, I packed it in and drove home.

Once home, I tried several more times to get it to work without success and finally paired my newer bird with my old controller, no problem. Obviously, the new controller went to crap for no apparent reason. Just poof! Junk.

Now I know a lot of you are DIY guys and what not. I work 60-70 hours a week. My free time is at a premium and I don't want to spend it goofing around trying to make this thing work. Heck, I still have an AR Drone 1.0 laying around that I powered on today and it still worked.

Here's where the support group really comes in. I know a lot of you hate DJI but honestly, am I going to have these kinds of problems with the P4 or Mavic? How about Yuneec? I honestly just want to grab a bag, run out and fly my drone without worrying about it flying away, dropping on someone's head, suddenly not working, etc. I really don't want to have to carry two or even three compete units with me every time I want to get a shot. Even at the lower prices, I still have around $1200 invested.

Seriously, considering that I'm more of a casual user, without a lot of time for tinkering. Should I cut my loses, sell what I have and go to another, more reliable platform?

Thank you for your time.

Reactions: Russ Knight
Mine often says waiting on Solo, I wait and then fly. If it paired and worked once it should have again; what made you think you needed to pair it again?

Figure out what you are doing close to home and keep flying the Solos.

Reactions: JimB13
Lon,

With time & patience, the Solo is a good platform......DJI ( expensive Chinese crap has it's own set of problems as well ) ...They are just more well known out there...

As Greg said, work out all of your issues at home, but trekking miles afar......Patience, Patience and you will be rewarded

Mine often says waiting on Solo, I wait and then fly. If it paired and worked once it should have again; what made you think you needed to pair it again?

Figure out what you are doing close to home and keep flying the Solos.

I waited for the controller to link with the still for 5 minutes the first time. I tried to pair it several times without any luck. It paired to my second controller right away. I still tried to get it to work once I got home. I even tried to get it to pair to my second solo. No luck.

Hopefully I haven't given you the impression that I haven't flown much. After my first debacle and Best Buy replacing my second unit, I've logged hours with the drone. Normally, it links pretty quick to the Solo with the wait being satellite acquisition.

I've flown a lot "close to home" and have been reasonably satisfied. As it stands, I have owned four solos and have had problems with all four. It doesn't fill me with confidence. I want the ability to know it will fly every time I pull it out of the bag. I can't see that as unreasonable.

Lon,

With time & patience, the Solo is a good platform......DJI ( expensive Chinese crap has it's own set of problems as well ) ...They are just more well known out there...

As Greg said, work out all of your issues at home, but trekking miles afar......Patience, Patience and you will be rewarded

I'm trying man, I really am. BTW not starting a fight but isn't the Solo made in China as well? As far as the controller goes, I'm pretty sure it's junk. It won't even reset.

I guess I'm jealous. I keep setting videos of guys making videos all over the world with their drones, and I shouldn't take mine an hour's drive away from home?

I don't know what I'll end up doing. I like the Typhoon H with the second camera controller and built in screen. I like the Mavic Pro for portability, it has some crash avoidance and it's phone controllable in a pinch. Not to mention the almost 8 times greater range. What I do know is that I'm not spending another dime on this setup. I'm going to box it up and see what Best Buy will do for me tomorrow. Maybe they'll exchange it for me again...

Last edited:
LD, I hear you buddy. Exact same problem as me. "Waiting for solo"... Over it! After posting on this forum and taking in as much advice on board, nothing worked so ended up buying a new wifi card (Mikrotik r11e-2hnd) and a second controller ( both still in transit). All I want is to get out flying. Love the exhilaration of flying ... Until it just stops working... No warning... No misuse... Frustration. I can't wait for the items to arrive to get flying again. Hang in there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LD, I hear you buddy. Exact same problem as me. "Waiting for solo"... Over it! After posting on this forum and taking in as much advice on board, nothing worked so ended up buying a new wifi card (Mikrotik r11e-2hnd) and a second controller ( both still in transit). All I want is to get out flying. Love the exhilaration of flying ... Until it just stops working... No warning... No misuse... Frustration. I can't wait for the items to arrive to get flying again. Hang in there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know I said I'm not spending any more money but.... How much are we talking about? Did you already do the GPS mod? The long range ants? I'm weighing my options. The Yuneec H Pro is on sale for $1500. It's not small by any measure but I like the retractable landing gear, 360 camera, Intel components, etc. Heck, if I look at the thing and what it comes with, it's not a bad deal. Second battery, built in screen, backpack, sun shield, camera control remote, etc.

Even at the reduced prices you're looking at;

$300 Solo, $50 battery, $350 Go Pro, $200 decent 7" tablet, etc. That's pushing around $1000 for a unit that even those that love and support it admit has a lot of flaws. This situation reminds me of 90s Harley Davidson bikes and their owners. I used to be one of these guys until I got fed up and went Japanese. All my friends were mad at me. Said I should have stuck it out. Logic meant nothing.

Some of you guys are like that. Blind to the obvious logical conclusion. Willing to keep throwing money at something that will never be as good as the competition. Will it ever have obstacle avoidance? A 4 mile range? Be able to lose a rotor and keep flying? Separate camera control? Better portability? Retractable landing gear? Upgradable camera system? 360 camera rotation? I just don't know guys, I really don't. I'm sure that users of other platforms have their own problems on occasion but from what I can see, they didn't seem as prevalent as ours. Like I said, I'm four for four. That's 100% problems and a different problem each time at that. I know no one is even reading this but it's cathartic to vent it in any case.

Thanks for the space, anyway.

Well, I guess your mind is made up......Go buy that Chinese crap.....& Solo was across the border in Mexico....not across the pond in China....

I know I said I'm not spending any more money but.... How much are we talking about? Did you already do the GPS mod? The long range ants? I'm weighing my options. The Yuneec H Pro is on sale for $1500. It's not small by any measure but I like the retractable landing gear, 360 camera, Intel components, etc. Heck, if I look at the thing and what it comes with, it's not a bad deal. Second battery, built in screen, backpack, sun shield, camera control remote, etc.

Even at the reduced prices you're looking at;

$300 Solo, $50 battery, $350 Go Pro, $200 decent 7" tablet, etc. That's pushing around $1000 for a unit that even those that love and support it admit has a lot of flaws. This situation reminds me of 90s Harley Davidson bikes and their owners. I used to be one of these guys until I got fed up and went Japanese. All my friends were mad at me. Said I should have stuck it out. Logic meant nothing.

Some of you guys are like that. Blind to the obvious logical conclusion. Willing to keep throwing money at something that will never be as good as the competition. Will it ever have obstacle avoidance? A 4 mile range? Be able to lose a rotor and keep flying? Separate camera control? Better portability? Retractable landing gear? Upgradable camera system? 360 camera rotation? I just don't know guys, I really don't. I'm sure that users of other platforms have their own problems on occasion but from what I can see, they didn't seem as prevalent as ours. Like I said, I'm four for four. That's 100% problems and a different problem each time at that. I know no one is even reading this but it's cathartic to vent it in any case.

Thanks for the space, anyway.
You ought to log on unto their website & see for yourself as to the problems they have with their drones...... You know "Grass is always greener on the other side " & in California, I can smoke it now while flying my Solo....

Be patient.....you are giving up too easy....

You ought to log on unto their website & see for yourself as to the problems they have with their drones...... You know "Grass is always greener on the other side " & in California, I can smoke it now while flying my Solo....

Be patient.....you are giving up too easy....
You may be right in this but for me, going through 4 units in maybe 20 flights sounds pretty patient to me. Not to mention the fact that I'm also on my second Go Pro Hero 4 Black. The first one locked up. Go Pro tech support blamed it on the Solo BTW but I got a new one and it hasn't happened again. So that was probably Go Pro b.s.. Obviously, it doesn't raise my confidence in the total package if the camera also has myriad problems.

Seriously, look at it from a completely logical standpoint. The main unit is no longer made for consumers and the support is somewhat lacking. I never did get a response from them either when my drone flew away or when it flipped. The camera is also no longer made and almost impossible to replace with the same unit and completely impossible to upgrade. Well, other than spending hundreds of dollars to replace the lenses, etc.

I know a lot of you probably view this as an attack but I honestly don't mean it that way. I'm seriously looking for advice. "Be patient" or spend more money/time aren't really the answers I'm looking for. I definitely don't need to be misled or lied to about the problems or the origins of the product.

Last edited:
Lon,

It is sad to see the downfall of 3DR over the last yr or two.....they have a nice looking drone with an open source platform.....

Their demise let many of us into the drone market at a very reasonable price. I being one of them ( I am late to the game, but got a great price )

For someone like myself, who had an under-utilized GoPro Hero 3+ Black sitting around.....it was the best option price-wise....a no-brainer....

Or I could have spent 1,500 + on a Phantom 4 & be plagued possibly with their set of problems as well.

DJI Phantom 4 might get you the "bells and whistles" you are looking for.....but their camera is not upgradeable either.......also they are stopping production of P4.....focus is on the Mavic......or the Inspire...grant you they are nice products with a hefty price tag........

Customer support @ DJI is absolutely the worst.....Keep in mind when you send your Phantom 4 in for repair that you just paid $1,200 + for, you will be getting back some refurbished POS P4...Yes and still under warranty.

You might want to consider GoPro's Karma.......it is back in the air very soon.......

Spend some time on their site & see their problems as well....

In the end, they all fall out of the sky eventually.

Last edited:
... am I going to have these kinds of problems with the P4 or Mavic? How about Yuneec? I honestly just want to grab a bag, run out and fly my drone without worrying about it flying away, dropping on someone's head, suddenly not working, etc..

I know what you mean. When I started I expected (and wanted) 100% turnkey operation as well. But, I found out it may not be reasonable expectation and that some tinkering or problem solving adds to the challenge and fun of the hobby. I figure all these drones have some pros and cons. My suggestion is to get on the mavic and other pilot forums (just like this one) and start reading. You will see many of the same issues and concerns.

I'm seriously looking for advice. "Be patient" or spend more money/time aren't really the answers I'm looking for. I definitely don't need to be misled or lied to about the problems or the origins of the product.

Not sure what you are looking for as far as 'advise'. When you state "I'm seriously looking for advice. "Be patient" or spend more money/time aren't really the answers I'm looking for. I definitely don't need to be misled or lied to about the problems or the origins of the product."

When you take out patience and $, what else is left? I got my Solo in the first shipment to the states in May of 15. I have 2 now with different cameras for different missions. Still have my original props and no crashes or hard landings. You have had a different experience with 4, so basically your mind is made up. Since you don't want to hear anything else, you may as well get the Yuneec or Phantom. I started with DJI years ago, will not again. But each must learn their own lessons I guess.

Good Luck and Fly Safe..

Lon,

I don't mean to be accusatory, but going through 4 Solos in 20 flights sounds a lot like operator error or ignorance .......I find it hard to believe that you got 4 factory lemons that were all made on a Monday mornig !!!!

Did you ever sit down to read the manual.....owner's & service manual ( Service Manual being even more comprehensive on the teardown ). A lot of problems can be resolved or questions answered by taking some time and learning the basics of the product one has just bought....

Who lied to you or misled you about the product ? The Best Buy salesman.....???

Last edited:
I never had any issues so far with my Solo so I bought 3 more back packs from Best buy.

Lon,

It is sad to see the downfall of 3DR over the last yr or two.....they have a nice looking drone with an open source platform.....

Their demise let many of us into the drone market at a very reasonable price. I being one of them ( I am late to the game, but got a great price )

For someone like myself, who had an under-utilized GoPro Hero 3+ Black sitting around.....it was the best option price-wise....a no-brainer....

Or I could have spent 1,500 + on a Phantom 4 & be plagued possibly with their set of problems as well.

DJI Phantom 4 might get you the "bells and whistles" you are looking for.....but their camera is not upgradeable either.......also they are stopping production of P4.....focus is on the Mavic......or the Inspire...grant you they are nice products with a hefty price tag........

Customer support @ DJI is absolutely the worst.....Keep in mind when you send your Phantom 4 in for repair that you just paid $1,200 + for, you will be getting back some refurbished POS P4...Yes and still under warranty.

You might want to consider GoPro's Karma.......it is back in the air very soon.......

Spend some time on their site & see their problems as well....

In the end, they all fall out of the sky eventually.

Thank you. I'm actually kind of stuck on the Yuneec Typhoon H Pro. All reports say they have decent support. I like Intel. I like the built in screen. I like the Wizard remote. I like the folding arms. I like the upgradable camera. I like the included hand held gimbal. I like how it can lose a motor and still fly. I like the almost 360 degree obstacle avoidance and intelligent follow mode. I'm really close to pulling the trigger.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig