Well, I'm I need of (3DR) group therapy!

I know what you mean. When I started I expected (and wanted) 100% turnkey operation as well. But, I found out it may not be reasonable expectation and that some tinkering or problem solving adds to the challenge and fun of the hobby. I figure all these drones have some pros and cons. My suggestion is to get on the mavic and other pilot forums (just like this one) and start reading. You will see many of the same issues and concerns.

Now that's a fair and reasonable reply! I am actually doing that now. I think my biggest problem is the duality of the system. Dealing with Go Pro's problems and 3DR's ...not to mention the phone, app, tablet, etc.

Reactions: Russ Knight
Not sure what you are looking for as far as 'advise'. When you state "I'm seriously looking for advice. "Be patient" or spend more money/time aren't really the answers I'm looking for. I definitely don't need to be misled or lied to about the problems or the origins of the product."

When you take out patience and $, what else is left? I got my Solo in the first shipment to the states in May of 15. I have 2 now with different cameras for different missions. Still have my original props and no crashes or hard landings. You have had a different experience with 4, so basically your mind is made up. Since you don't want to hear anything else, you may as well get the Yuneec or Phantom. I started with DJI years ago, will not again. But each must learn their own lessons I guess.

Good Luck and Fly Safe..
Thanks. I also asked about the fixes after that very raw/ it just happened statement. In all honesty, what all mods have you done and how much did it cost? I have looked at a lot of the fixes; Penue camera, GPS board, Fvlr antennae, etc. It just seems like a lot of money and effort on a dead platform. Besides, every one seems to focus on DJI and I'm leaning towards the Yuneec Typhoon H Pro.

Lon,

I don't mean to be accusatory, but going through 4 Solos in 20 flights sounds a lot like operator error or ignorance .......I find it hard to believe that you got 4 factory lemons that were all made on a Monday mornig !!!!

Did you ever sit down to read the manual.....owner's & service manual ( Service Manual being even more comprehensive on the teardown ). A lot of problems can be resolved or questions answered by taking some time and learning the basics of the product one has just bought....

Who lied to you or misled you about the product ? The Best Buy salesman.....???
Um someone tried to tell me that my Solo wasn't made in China....

See that's the other typical response. Blame the pilot. It's exactly what 3DR did when the problems with the platform first arose. I completely agree that I have some culpability in all of this. However, I'm not the only one by any means. Fly aways, flip overs, GPS problems, etc are not rare with this platform. There are companies that make a living selling parts to fix 3DR/GoPro's problems.

Attachments

• 20170219_123637.jpg
    20170219_123637.jpg
    469.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Lon,

It is sad to see the downfall of 3DR over the last yr or two.....they have a nice looking drone with an open source platform.....

Their demise let many of us into the drone market at a very reasonable price. I being one of them ( I am late to the game, but got a great price )

For someone like myself, who had an under-utilized GoPro Hero 3+ Black sitting around.....it was the best option price-wise....a no-brainer....

Or I could have spent 1,500 + on a Phantom 4 & be plagued possibly with their set of problems as well.

DJI Phantom 4 might get you the "bells and whistles" you are looking for.....but their camera is not upgradeable either.......also they are stopping production of P4.....focus is on the Mavic......or the Inspire...grant you they are nice products with a hefty price tag........

Customer support @ DJI is absolutely the worst.....Keep in mind when you send your Phantom 4 in for repair that you just paid $1,200 + for, you will be getting back some refurbished POS P4...Yes and still under warranty.

You might want to consider GoPro's Karma.......it is back in the air very soon.......

Spend some time on their site & see their problems as well....

In the end, they all fall out of the sky eventually.

If I go DJI, it'll be the Mavic. I have no desire for the P4.

I never had any issues so far with my Solo so I bought 3 more back packs from Best buy.

It's funny, I felt the same way for awhile. I looked at all the negative videos and brushed them off despite my first bad experience. Then the second problem, then the third.... I fully understand that I may be doing something wrong but wasn't this supposed to be a platform for guys like me? You know, I just want to fly not become an electronics expert kind of guy?

Heck, everything's made in china! One day someone over there will push a button, and all our chineese crap will explode, TV's, phones, microwaves, computers, etc. etc. It's a communist world we live in.:(
Hahaha! Yea I know. I didn't know how old everyone is but I'm old enough to remember when all Japanese stuff was "crap". Then it was Korean "junk". "Made in Mexico" was the label of something being garbage. Now I have someone telling me that Mexican made is superior to Chinese made. Hahaha! The best part is that the Solo is actually made in China!

So here's an update. I took my "old" Solo and the bad controller back to Best Buy and they gave me a full refund. Now the good news is that I still have a complete Solo with, 4 sets of blades, 3 batteries, an extra gimbal, two battery chargers and a bag. They would have taken my other set too but I've decided to hold off on anything new and fly this bird into the ground. Apparently, they are well aware of the 3DR situation and have stepped up to take care of their customers.

I would have bought the Typhoon H Pro myself....I was seriously considering this one prior to seeing deal at BB on the Solo. Price tag is little high thou for my blood

Thanks. I also asked about the fixes after that very raw/ it just happened statement. In all honesty, what all mods have you done and how much did it cost? I have looked at a lot of the fixes; Penue camera, GPS board, Fvlr antennae, etc. It just seems like a lot of money and effort on a dead platform. Besides, every one seems to focus on DJI and I'm leaning towards the Yuneec Typhoon H Pro.
If it were me, your on the right path, Yunnec Typhoon H Pro....just anti-DJI

Um someone tried to tell me that my Solo wasn't made in China....

See that's the other typical response. Blame the pilot. It's exactly what 3DR did when the problems with the platform first arose. I completely agree that I have some culpability in all of this. However, I'm not the only one by any means. Fly aways, flip overs, GPS problems, etc are not rare with this platform. There are companies that make a living selling parts to fix 3DR/GoPro's problems.
But Fly-aways, flip-overs , GPS problems will happen with the competitor's drone as well.

But Fly-aways, flip-overs , GPS problems will happen with the competitor's drone as well.
Yea I'm seeing that bro.... Maybe I'm naive but I'm not sure why it's so hard with "blank" number of processors or two gpus you can't expect a drone to just fly? Yeesh.

4 units all defective, this thread is suspect. I crashed one in my house and my credit card purchase protection paid for it. After 3 new blades she flew 2 miles. 4 Brand new units would insinuate that 3dr has a massive failure rate which simply isn't true. Your the culpable party here, without logs and a cursory thread I find it hard to believe. Not saying it isn't true.... Just a hard to believe story.

I didn't do a single mod the whole first year. Then played with the GPS mods. Not because I was having an issue, but for margin when flying in fringe areas. Have you seen the Yuneec in person? My first impression was it seemed but together cheap and not as well made. But that was just a first impression.

4 units all defective, this thread is suspect. I crashed one in my house and my credit card purchase protection paid for it. After 3 new blades she flew 2 miles. 4 Brand new units would insinuate that 3dr has a massive failure rate which simply isn't true. Your the culpable party here, without logs and a cursory thread I find it hard to believe. Not saying it isn't true.... Just a hard to believe story.

Hey I didn't say they were complete failures and I have admitted that I must have some culpability here. I bought this drone thinking it was all "buy and fly" and now I see that there is a lot more to it no matter which drone you buy.

1st drone did a fly away. I returned it. Not my fault-at least I don't think so...

2nd drone flipped on take off. Best Buy exchanged. This one most likely my fault. I may have had a loose rotor. Couldn't tell since the thing kept running and destroyed all four. Note my AR Drone 1.0 shuts off after a mishap.

3rd drone totally my fault. Tried to fly indoors. Wasn't used to drift and wham! Rookie mistake and was used to other drones that have sensors for indoor flight. Bought new drone. Kept old one for "spare".

4th drone not my fault in the slightest. The controller just went out. No damage. Less than two months old. Worked on Monday, quit on Sat. Best Buy refunded.

So allow me to amend my statement. 3 out of 4 defective. One out of four pilot error, too high of expectations.

It's "in the shop" at the moment as a matter of fact. GPS issue. The portability is great but there are some wrinkles to work out.
Fair enough. I know a lot of people hate DJI but I rarely hear anything negative about the Mavic. Don't worry, I'm honestly researching it to death!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44