Wanted: Donor Solo battery for public autopsy, mods, experimentation

This is awesome to have RolandS888 with the forethought to get a battery and reverse engineer (sort of) so we can have a idea of how the 4S5200 functions, this size battery can be had for $35 or so. An obvious price reduction over the current price, yes but...there would be soldering involved.
I was was going to do this to the first battery I had go bad of the Six I have.
Thanks to all involved to make this happened. Stay tuned to this thread.

Love the idea of understanding the smart battery . The on off switch which must be consuming a trickle as the battery tends to lose charge faster than other lipos .

Ill donate 20 to the pot

Guy

Thanks for the generous offers guys, but no need for funds at the moment.
We have a dud battery on the way to me thanks to @Jim.....
Surgery coming soon.

I bet these are glued together pretty tight.
Im hoping they are clipped together, I cant see any signs of glue on mine.

yes I would like to learn more about battery, itself.. update after you do monkey business with it. let us know what you find..

@RolandS888 This was done before.. (Not my work, all credit to Solo Ing);
Hi,

I opened up a Solo battery, and just want to share my findings. This is my first ever write-up, so be nice. : )

- I cracked the battery open. The case consists of two pieces. Top and Bottom. They are just snapped together. No glue and no screws. It was really hard to open and a huge PITA. Kind of like trying to open some of the hard plastic blister packs, you have nowadays for many retail items. : )

- Once you take the top part of the case off, you can see the actual "battery" - the LiPo cells. The cells are taped to the bottom piece of the case, with double side tape.

- The "brain" of the battery, the board, "sits" next to the cells. It is not glued in place, or anything like that. It just sits there. Not lose though. It is held in place by the top and bottom case pieces.

- On the little board at the end of the battery, you will find the ON/OFF switch and the LED indicator, for charge and capacity. Same with this little board. It is held in place by the top and bottom case pieces. No glue, screws or tape.

- Once you open the case, you can take both boards out. However, the LED board is still attached to the main board, and the main board is still attached to the battery via the power leads (positive and negative), and the balancing wires.

- The next step was trying to get the battery itself (LiPo cells) out of the case. This was not to an easy task, as I feared to damage the cells. If I remember correctly, I used a butter knife to slowly pry the cells out of the case. They are attached with double sided tape to the bottom piece of the case.

So far, so good. Now you have the top and bottom piece of the case and the cells with the boards attached to it.

- The next thing I did was, de-solder the positive and negative wires from the battery, and unplug the balance wires from the board. (The balance leads are just connected via a plug to the board. You can just pull the plug out).

- Once I did that, I installed Anderson Power Poles to the wires (the ones coming from the board), and soldered wires to the battery, in order to install my APP connectors. I love those Anderson Power Poles btw... : )

- At this point I was able to finally hook up my OWN battery to board, and plug the board into the Solo! YEAH!

- The only thing left to do with the battery, is to take the balance wires off and replace them with any balancing tab of your choice. Since all my batteries come with JST-XH balance connectors, I soldered a JST-XH balance lead to the battery.

- Now you have the ORIGINAL Solo cells with a connector and balance tab, of your choice. Of course you can use the modified Solo battery in the Solo, or any other RC application of your choice! (in other words, the battery (cells) itself does not go to waste when you open the case!!!

- Now it was time to put my "creation" to the test. I plugged the board into the Solo, then attached my OWN battery and pressed the power button. BAM! The Solo powers ON! Great! After around 10 seconds though, the Solo started peeping! WTH? It turns out, that you also NEED to attached the balance leads to the board. If you don't do that, you will not be able to fly.

- Since the JST-XH balance leads from my batteries obviously don't fit into the board, I had to make an adapter. JST-XH to - whatever the connector is on the board. I have no idea what connector that is, but I just used the original balancing wires from the Solo battery. Even though I hate soldering, I managed to make an adapter, ha ha.

- Having done that, I was finally able to power on the Solo, using my own battery, without having the Solo giving me trouble!

- I took it outside and went for a spin. Everything seemed normal!

- Only thing left to do is to set the capacity in Mission Planner to whatever mAh you use...

I hope my write-up is easy to understand?! If you have any question, feel free to ask!

Thanks.

Reactions: Elscorch and J R
Pictures

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 164
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    54.4 KB · Views: 159
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    124.4 KB · Views: 162
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 152
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 161
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    313 KB · Views: 160
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 159
Very nice. Thank you.
What is the dimension of the battery itself. Can you provide picture of it unwrapped. I'm sure we all would like to see an option of purchasing a drop in replacement. Nevertheless a great starting point for replacement batteries.

I wonder if anyone watching this thread can model the case halves? We use the base and now we can design our own 3d printed top half for a larger battery.

I just wonder if the advantage of having a larger sized battery on board, would be negated by the diminished flight time due to the weight of the larger battery. It sure would be interesting to find out. Thanks for sharing your findings, Lybior.

Thanks @Lybior, yes I saw the posts by @Soloing a while ago on RCGroups on the monster Solo owners thread (that was full of bad blood from people that didnt own Solos).
He is on this forum as well.
I will post all the facts and figures when I get into the pack.
Any increase in pack capacity will need to be addressed in the parameters with MP otherwise even though you have more flight time, the battery meter will still be counting down to zero based on 5200mah..
Probably not a bad idea to have a reserve capacity below zero - just thinking aloud.

@RolandS888 thats actually not good idea, because Solo will automatically trigger the RTH function, even when you would have real 50% of capacity, but it would count from 5200 to 0, so the Solo would think that it's only 15%.. So you would have to fly only manual mode .. Lybior

Im wondering if there are any dead or dying Solo batteries out there, or at least underperforming ones that could be put to good use for the benefit of us all on this forum.
I want to hack a battery and see what can be done to improve it and post the results.
Even something as simple as (non destructively) splitting a pack and repacking with new cells hasnt been addressed yet, and Im offerring to spend the time to go there, and anywhere else this takes me..
So Im looking for a candidate, doesnt need to have working cells, but functioning electronics
Wow awsome project! Anyone modded a charger so it could charge 3 batteries at same time?
Im wondering if there are any dead or dying Solo batteries out there, or at least underperforming ones that could be put to good use for the benefit of us all on this forum.
I want to hack a battery and see what can be done to improve it and post the results.
Even something as simple as (non destructively) splitting a pack and repacking with new cells hasnt been addressed yet, and Im offerring to spend the time to go there, and anywhere else this takes me..
So Im looking for a candidate, doesnt need to have working cells, but functioning electronics would be helpful.
If you've seen what I did with the motors, well, its time to get into a battery.
I dont have a spare, finances would only stretch to 3 batteries for me, and they are all working well.
Im happy to cover shipping, or come to some other arrangement.
I know @Soloing did pull one to bits but I didnt see anything apart from photos.
So if anyone has anything that might be useful, post in this thread, or send me a message.
I promise lots of kudos and good karma will come your way for this selfless act. :)
Thanks,
Roland.
Remember, Jim. Don't drink and fly.....;) Those Hobgoblins can catch up with you...lol.
Awsome project! My needs would be to charge say 3 batteries at the same time with one charger, anyone found a better way than buying a bunch of chargers?
Matt

Awsome project! My needs would be to charge say 3 batteries at the same time with one charger, anyone found a better way than buying a bunch of chargers?
Matt
5 at a time, please :) And an intelligent "discharge to 50%" feature for storage, and rapid charging.

Any increase in pack capacity will need to be addressed in the parameters with MP otherwise even though you have more flight time, the battery meter will still be counting down to zero based on 5200mah..
Probably not a bad idea to have a reserve capacity below zero - just thinking aloud.
For reference the pack that is on the way to you would register 3435mAh in BATT_CAPACITY so I would write 5200 but it would auto detect and default back to 3435.

Seems the battery is still in transit.
As soon as there is any progress i will start posting about it.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig