Video - Software mod to increase radio range - hostapd.conf

I left the modified hostapd.conf as is and did the update. It was a bit troublesome as it changed the Solo link password back to the default. Then I had to re-pair the controller and Solo.

Took Solo out yesterday and all was good. I went out to around 2000' at only 180' up and still had a very good connection. My video never got choppy either.

I performed the same configuration - manually (see prior post). Messed up the .conf on Controller, Solo .conf was fine. Finally fixed Controller .conf and the password change and re-pairing was all that was needed. I have had NO issues with video, and the range is awesome with stock antenna's. I don't understand this factory reset issue - never needed that. You are only modifying one file, and I always make a backup under Linux as <filename.xxx> to <filename.xxx.orig> then apply changes.

Glad it worked for you, I love the mod along with the GPS foil spacer mod = Solo is a pleasure to fly. More mod's coming down the pike from 3DR. Cant wait. My Solo is doing awesome, now if I can get my part 333 exemption completed, will be good to go.

Here is a post-mod flight test and gimbal test YouTube. I live in a lot a trees (see LZ/Home area), no GPS faults, no crashes... all I have to do is tweak RTH when Solo is landing in between my 40' plus tall pine trees in my yard. I have to get up on the roof or porch after lift off to keep VLOS, or go up in altitude with Solo. I have never been able to fly Solo out that far in this environment before the hosapd.conf mod, ever. Around 3,200' VLOS in a tree infested area.

Also as far as the gimbal is concerned, take a look around the [edit] 11:12 mark, you will see Solo's legs get into view (at medium FOV on GoPro) and shaking like the dickens, very windy and that was during RTH. Very impressed!

Cheers
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
I went in and did a quick check on the etc directory. After running the reset command and updating firmware, the firmware seems to have deleted all my old backup files.

The new hostapd.conf enables more channels but starts the channel availability at channel 4, despite giving channel 1 a selection advantage (0.8). I didn't comb through to see what all the other changes were to compare them to the original mod but clearly it's not an exact copy.

I wasn't able to go fly after updating and it looks like a week of rain from today on for us here. Will just have to wait and see how this works out on my bird in my area.

The selection advantage line is commented out, so it has no effect I believe. I notice with the new file that channel 11 is selected quite often even when there are other access points near by using that channel. I did play with the channel list and by excluding channel 11 explicitly, Sololink does not set up on that channel any longer.

>>>AS OF THE UPCOMING FIRMWARE THIS MOD IS NO LONGER NECESSARY<<<

Also note that modding any file in the SoloLink system means that it won't update when you update the copter. To revert to using the defaults, SSH into both Solo and Controller and do: sololink_config --settings-reset

You will need to re-pair after the settings reset.

Note: @Judicator has automated this process too, the Windows program can be downloaded from here: Solo Tweaker

I've just finished this video today, it's relevant to the latest firmware as well. Amongst other things this allows the Solo to use any pair of channels from 1 to 12, whereas before the mod it is limited to using only channels 6 and 11.

This has increased my range in both congested and non-congested Wi-Fi areas. The cost of doing this mod is exactly $0.00.

The software to download to perform this mod is:
A hackable text editor for the 21st Century
Bitvise SSH Client Download

The IP address of the Solo controller is: 10.1.1.1
The IP address of the Solo is: 10.1.1.10

The username is: root
The password is: TjSDBkAu

The changes to make to the hostapd.conf file are:
acs_num_scans=8
#chanlist=6 11
beacon_int=999
wmm_ac_vi_cwmin=2
wmm_ac_vi_txop_limit=136
wmm_ac_vo_txop_limit=1
disassoc_low_ack=0

The command to run to update the MD5 is:
md5sum /etc/hostapd.conf > /etc/hostapd.conf.md5

Ian - first thanks for the info - when you said in the original post latest firmware update you were not including the update we just had on October 6/7 were you?

Also are the modifications made in your file still needed after the latest updates? many thanks :)

I left the modified hostapd.conf as is and did the update. It was a bit troublesome as it changed the Solo link password back to the default. Then I had to re-pair the controller and Solo.

Took Solo out yesterday and all was good. I went out to around 2000' at only 180' up and still had a very good connection. My video never got choppy either.
Is your Solo using channels 1-3?

Did the same thing with similar results. Which is good!

I am concerned that my Solo will not continue to get updates in the future. I am not a programmer and used the tweaker software to make the previous mod to the Solo.

Is there a set of instructions (layman's terms) that shows how to reset that file to be able to accommodate future releases of software upgrades? Or should I not worry and leave the mod in place?

Thanks in advance.

Did the same thing with similar results. Which is good!

I am concerned that my Solo will not continue to get updates in the future. I am not a programmer and used the tweaker software to make the previous mod to the Solo.

Is there a set of instructions (layman's terms) that shows how to reset that file to be able to accommodate future releases of software upgrades? Or should I not worry and leave the mod in place?

Thanks in advance.
I'm leaving mine the way it is, everything is working fine.

Reactions: Shawn Mehlert
Is your Solo using channels 1-3?
I'm not sure what channels it is using.
I performed the same configuration - manually (see prior post). Messed up the .conf on Controller, Solo .conf was fine. Finally fixed Controller .conf and the password change and re-pairing was all that was needed. I have had NO issues with video, and the range is awesome with stock antenna's. I don't understand this factory reset issue - never needed that. You are only modifying one file, and I always make a backup under Linux as <filename.xxx> to <filename.xxx.orig> then apply changes.

Glad it worked for you, I love the mod along with the GPS foil spacer mod = Solo is a pleasure to fly. More mod's coming down the pike from 3DR. Cant wait. My Solo is doing awesome, now if I can get my part 333 exemption completed, will be good to go.

Here is a post-mod flight test and gimbal test YouTube. I live in a lot a trees (see LZ/Home area), no GPS faults, no crashes... all I have to do is tweak RTH when Solo is landing in between my 40' plus tall pine trees in my yard. I have to get up on the roof or porch after lift off to keep VLOS, or go up in altitude with Solo. I have never been able to fly Solo out that far in this environment before the hosapd.conf mod, ever. Around 3,200' VLOS in a tree infested area.

Also as far as the gimbal is concerned, take a look around the [edit] 11:12 mark, you will see Solo's legs get into view (at medium FOV on GoPro) and shaking like the dickens, very windy and that was during RTH. Very impressed!

Cheers
I'm keeping the mod as long as it flies like it has been. Yep, you gotta lot of woods around you.

Ian - first thanks for the info - when you said in the original post latest firmware update you were not including the update we just had on October 6/7 were you?

Also are the modifications made in your file still needed after the latest updates? many thanks :)
The current firmware (released a few days ago) has the range enhancements so hostapd no longer needs to be modded.

The differences are so small you could leave it alone for now, but I'd definitely run the reset command (if you haven't already) before the next firmware and effectively remove the mod.

For a nonprogrammer, what are the steps to accomplish this…? I do have the SSH client installed and the Adam software installed. Just don't fully understand where to "run the reset command"
SSH into Solo and run the command in bold red which is on the first post in this thread.

Then SSH into the controller and do the same. DO NOT reboot either until you've run the command on both in that order.

SSH into Solo and run the command in bold red which is on the first post in this thread.

Then SSH into the controller and do the same. DO NOT reboot either until you've run the command on both in that order.
Is this the same as doing the factory reset where you hold down both the home and fly buttons on th. Controller and then a paperclip for the solo?

The last updated does wipe our your Sololink password. Once everything was done uploading to Controller and Solo: ( yes : hostapd.conf was modified prior to update)
  1. With Controller and Solo powered on, Controller is 'looking for Solo' = no-go
  2. Hit the Pair button on Solo for about 1 second
  3. Controller now recognized Solo
  4. Had to now go back in and change the default 'sololink' password back to my own
Done, no problems - however Solo again did not have the same LOS as post hostapd.conf mod and while hovering just above RTH point as I had hit Pause for just a few seconds, then Solo once again decided to take off on it's own an eat some bushes when I held down the Fly button to Land Now. First time this has ever happened during RTH or landing. Post log file check coming up.

Cheers

Post 1.2.0 3DR Software Update Report and hostapd.conf File Questions:

I have had nothing but issues since my last post, back to <~1,400ft LOS with loss of signal, and the first time I have EVER seen choppy-intermittent video and a few other small items. Not sure what to do at this point, and I have a gig tomorrow!

Note : I still had original MODIFIED hostapd.conf file mod's on both the Controller and Solo prior to the update, did not preform the software reset as I did not see your statement prior to the update, however the following may interest some here:

Here is my /etc/hostapd.conf files POST software update that resides on both the Controller and Solo, with no edit's on my part:

The original mod changes to make to the hostapd.conf file are here along with the NEW 3DR post 1.2.0 update values. Found
2 differences marked with *

Original mod change : acs_num_scans=8
3DR value : same as mod

Original mod change : #chanlist=6 11
* NEW 3DR value : chanlist=4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Original mod change : beacon_int=999
* NEW 3DR value : beacon_int=100

Original mod change : wmm_ac_vi_cwmin=2

Original mod change : wmm_ac_vi_txop_limit=136

Original mod change : wmm_ac_vo_txop_limit=1

Original mod change : disassoc_low_ack=0

Any input on this, or do I do a factory reset and start over. Ian, you say no mod needed after update? I see 'chanlist' an 'beacon_ini' differ from original mod data, even after 3DR update. Can you please confirm this and course of action?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Does software mod to increase wifi do any good for Solo with up to date firmware version available currently in August 2016? Any recommendations whether to use one or two Alpha antennas?

I was also wondering if this is relevant anymore.
I purchased two ALFA antennas last year and I carry them in my Solo backpack with me. I typically use stock antennas because honestly one should not be wanting to fly too far away anyhow. However whenever I have reception or range issues I screw in the ALFA antennas and they improve the range significantly.

The thing with stock antennas is often that people have them pointed upwards instead of "down and out" like they should be, and also it depends GREATLY on the area you are flying in and what other stuff is going on in the air in that area.

ALFA antennas are cheap enough I got two for 20 and you should never need a hardware wifi mod.

Does software mod to increase wifi do any good for Solo with up to date firmware version available currently in August 2016? Any recommendations whether to use one or two Alpha antennas?
There is another mod out there by Jason Short in the Solo Mod Club on fb. Besides an increased range it provides also a significantly improved video feed and works fine with the current firmware.
I am flying it now for month and am pleased with the results.

There is another mod out there by Jason Short in the Solo Mod Club on fb. Besides an increased range it provides also a significantly improved video feed and works fine with the current firmware.
I've read about the changes that it implements. Do you know if that's going to make it into some actual release?

I've read about the changes that it implements. Do you know if that's going to make it into some actual release?
As FPV said, Jason came up with the code about the same time he left 3DR, i 'm guessing this particular MOD. hasn't been introduced to "3DR" or anyone else, Besides Homies on FB?
It installed on IOS'ed "Ipad" Solo with no problems, but removed it to use other MOD.

Last edited:
I don't think so since Jason has left 3DR.
You get a pretty decent video feed quality on iOS. So I kept the mod for the time being.

Got a link for that?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela