Solo Drone failing to factory reset

Reaction score
I have a 3DR Solo that I ordered years ago but never opened the box until this week. I know that sounds crazy but now I'm having the same problem that I've seen discuss here many times.

After setting up the drone and the controller per the included instructions, downloading the 3DR Solo software and connecting to the Solo "WiFi" - the Solo apps says I'm not connected. Photos attached.

I'm hung up with the controller waiting on the preflight update. The software continues to ask for a fast WiFi connection even though my phone is connected to my home WiFi. The software update does not attempt to download.

After two days of this I decided to factory reset the controller and the drone. The controller reset with no problems but I do not think the drone ever reset. I powered the drone on while holding down the pair button and released after the orange light began blinking rapidly. The drone's lights changed to white in the front and red in back and that was it, the lights didn't change after that. I waited more than 15 minutes and no changes.

I'm not sure if a factory reset was even needed but I thought it was worth a shot. I downloaded the SidePilot software but it will not connect to the controller. The controller is asking for the preflight update from Solo and I assume that is why SidePilot will not connect.

Any and ALL advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm thoroughly confused and basically brain dead at this point! :)

Attachments

• 2020-05-08 14.51.06.png
    2020-05-08 14.51.06.png
    4 MB · Views: 29
  • 2020-05-08 14.58.07.png
    2020-05-08 14.58.07.png
    258.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 2020-05-08 14.49.54.jpg
    2020-05-08 14.49.54.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 29
... The drone's lights changed to white in the front and red in back and that was it, the lights didn't change after that. I waited more than 15 minutes and no changes. ...

In the section about Factory Reset, the Solo manual says, "While rebooting, Solo emits its regular startup tones. The lights underneath Solo’s arms also light up green and change to white in the front and red in the back. If you do not hear and see these signals, then reboot Solo again. If the lights change colors now, then the vehicle is still resetting. Let Solo finish resetting and then reboot Solo again once the lights stop changing colors."

Therefore, when the lights change to white in front and red in back, you're supposed to reboot Solo (that is, turn it fully off, then turn it back on). Since you say you waited more than 15 minutes after that color change, it sounds like you didn't perform this necessary reboot.

Well I'm still having the same issue. Just to be sure I started over by resetting both the controller and the drone. After the drone lights changed to white in front and red in back I rebooted the drone and then the controller. I connected to the Solo WiFi, went to the app and it still says I'm not connected. Any thoughts?

This is a phone operating system issue. What OS and what version are you running?

Upgrade to OpenSolo4 would be my advice. The original 3DR system is galatically out of date.

Can you tell me how to upgrade to OpenSolo4 when the controller is asking for the preflight upgrade? I do not know how to get past that. I have reset the drone and the controller and then the controller asks for the preflight upgrade and that is where I'm stuck.

Attachments

• 2020-05-08 14.49.54.jpg
    2020-05-08 14.49.54.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 16
Follow the instructions exactly. Do not attempt any sort of reset during the process until you have run the full upgrade and recovery partition fix. I did my upgrade using Solex, but don't know how it will respond to the preflight update condition.

I am unable to update solo. I have red & white lights.

1. I held power + Fly on controller (preflight update)
2. I put toothpick in pair & pressed power (waited for orange light)
3. Turned off controller
4. Turned off solo
5. Turn on controller
6. Turn on solo
7. Red & white lights?

I also cannot connect Iphone 7 with latest OS to Solo app. Can I use Opensolo instead?

Thank you!

I am unable to update solo. I have red & white lights.

1. I held power + Fly on controller (preflight update)
2. I put toothpick in pair & pressed power (waited for orange light)
3. Turned off controller
4. Turned off solo
5. Turn on controller
6. Turn on solo
7. Red & white lights?

I also cannot connect Iphone 7 with latest OS to Solo app. Can I use Opensolo instead?

Thank you!
I repeat - did you pair the bird with the GCS?

I believe I paired bird with gcs. Does that entail:
1. Hold power + fly on controller
- Press A
2. Toothpick in Pair hole + power button of bird

Thanks Bruce!

I believe I paired bird with gcs. Does that entail:
1. Hold power + fly on controller
- Press A
2. Toothpick in Pair hole + power button of bird

Thanks Bruce!
#1 and #2 are in error.

Please search 'Pairing Solo' on these forums