Using the new geofencing feature with the 3DR Solo

Reaction score
Per Chris A:

Here's a primer on custom geofencing with Solo, which has never been easier. It has just been released in the new 3DR Solo app for iOS and will be coming to Android soon:

On your map view, you can enable or disable geofencing. When it’s on, you will have four points (like dropped pins) that you use to make a virtual quadrilateral flight cage around your drone. Solo uses GPS to set and obey this boundary. You can move your four points to change the shape, size and location of your quadrilateral at any time in flight, blocking off any objects or areas you choose. This also means that if you want to fly in another area, simply move your pins on your screen and you’ll create a new safe zone — or you can turn the geofence off altogether.

More.....

How do you turn it on/off? I didn't see any details about how to use it- just talking about what it does.

Per Chris A:

Here's a primer on custom geofencing with Solo, which has never been easier. It has just been released in the new 3DR Solo app for iOS and will be coming to Android soon:

On your map view, you can enable or disable geofencing. When it’s on, you will have four points (like dropped pins) that you use to make a virtual quadrilateral flight cage around your drone. Solo uses GPS to set and obey this boundary. You can move your four points to change the shape, size and location of your quadrilateral at any time in flight, blocking off any objects or areas you choose. This also means that if you want to fly in another area, simply move your pins on your screen and you’ll create a new safe zone — or you can turn the geofence off altogether.

More.....
From what I understand and I think equally useful, is that it is essentially a fence that Solo will not cross. Meaning that it can also be used in reverse. You can put a fence up around an area you do not want to fly IN TO. Great for creating a boundary for private property where you have been asked not to fly over or other similar situations.

Reactions: wsalopek
geofence is not coming to android from reports
to activate it there is a little square in the top right portion of the map screen
to turn it off just touch the square again

Reactions: Maddog

Vu Tran
June 20 at 1:10pm

Hi All, here's an update for all the Android questions. We will be releasing Solo Android 2.4 in a few weeks. It will have the Zip, Pano, Return to Me, and Return and Hover. Unfortunately, we're not planning to have AR or Geofence, those features will only be on iOS. As always, all bugs and issues will continue to be addressed ASAP.

Vu Tran
June 20 at 1:10pm

Hi All, here's an update for all the Android questions. We will be releasing Solo Android 2.4 in a few weeks. It will have the Zip, Pano, Return to Me, and Return and Hover. Unfortunately, we're not planning to have AR or Geofence, those features will only be on iOS. As always, all bugs and issues will continue to be addressed ASAP.
Thanks- good to know 3DR is alive and well !

Would be nice to have an altitude floor just to round out the safety settings for brand new pilots.

geofence is not coming to android from reports
to activate it there is a little square in the top right portion of the map screen
to turn it off just touch the square again
Sorry but Chris A has posted today it will be released for android. He didnt say if it was in the 2.4 android app but it will be available soon. They have taken a lot of flak over the android issue and they are responding.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Where is that posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DIYDrones....
Using the new geofencing feature with the 3DR Solo

I think Chris A realises they have stuffed up on the Android thing, it caused a large negative reaction. I dont expect AR to be in Android anytime soon but I think they'll continue to add features to Android. Even rough FB polls for Solo are indicating a greater then 60% using android. Funny enough it matches with general smartphone usage stats. Infact IPhones are tracking down until the next release - has been following this model for many years. Goes up as a new model is released and then they trend downwards.

Last edited:
Yeah good to see the presure is working.
Holding off on buying an apple tablet until the Android version hits.
I have an apple phone and those new features are nice.

Yeah good to see the presure is working.
Holding off on buying an apple tablet until the Android version hits.
I have an apple phone and those new features are nice.
I thought I was lucky till I found out the only apple device in the house was just an original ipad mini. So not compatible.

I dont want to have to buy an apple device just for this. I have plenty of Android devices and just cant bring myself to even look at the closed nature of the other side.

Reactions: pyrate
Regarding the geofence, I think the following statement is one of the most valid reasons to implement software over a hardware solution. As I can't see hardware improving enough to provide "true" sense and avoid any time soon. I applaud their decision for geofencing, I think this will become an industry standard.

Engaging: Perhaps the most important advantage. Instead of stopping you from thinking about the environment around you, like hardware sensors would do, geofencing keeps pilots engaged and aware. This level of interaction with your drone and with your environment is critical for any truly holistic approach to drone safety, as opposed to blindly trusting an imperfect technology.

Reactions: Tamj
I thought I was lucky till I found out the only apple device in the house was just an original ipad mini. So not compatible.

I dont want to have to buy an apple device just for this. I have plenty of Android devices and just cant bring myself to even look at the closed nature of the other side.
iPad mini 2 on Craigslist. I picked up one for my 5 year old. For $80, absolutely nothing wrong with it

iPad mini 2 doesn't have barometer though, so follow modes won't adjust for altitude, like following you up a hill.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anomaly.Filmworks