Upgrade 3DR Solo to RTK

Reaction score
For all those keen on upgrading your Solo to RTK capacity.
Here are some lessons learned.
Although I have a Drotek XXL RTK Base and NEO M8P GPS installed within my Solo.
This is not yet sufficient for RTK capacity.
I have learned that firmware Arducopter 3.5.* needs to be updated,
However: Given Arducopter 3.5.0 is not safe with the original Solo stock cube,
it has been strongly advised to install the new Green Cube (Pixhawk 2.1..etc).
Only once the Green Cube is installed & Arducopter 3.5.0 firmware updated, will the Drotek Base and onboard GPS function with RTK capacity.
Reference Document Read: 3DR Solo - ArduCopter Master Upgrade — Copter documentation
Green Cube (Pixhawk 2.1) can be obtained from Jesters drones Jesters Drones Store

At present I have not yet installed the Green Cube with Arducopter 3.5.0 firmware update.
However fpvsteve has experience with this topic, and bet he will provide some assistance.

Information on this post learned from fpvsteve, pulsar110 & Mr. Google.

Thanks Jonty. I am strongly considering upgrading two Solos to be primary and backup units for annual and event-driven (storm event) measurements of change in a length of shoreline. At the moment I am not convinced that extreme "Survey Grade" accuracy (like for constructing a building) is essential. Differential Grade accuracy may be sufficient. I could be wrong...

What is "good enough" accuracy from 3D model to 3D model - over several years - is the larger question for my local environmental research and reporting goals. I need to discover or develop a reliable change-measurement method, supported by software that does not introduce its own, significant errors. My biggest challenge is likely to be sorting through different claims and counter-claims about "achievable accuracy" with different configurations of components, from GCP targets to camera/lens combinations to back-end processing software.

Anyway, while wading through many articles, university papers and commercial offerings, I stumbled across this webpage that mentions some of the difficulties with scanning/mapping of a quarry. You may also be able to find useful university information sources by gaining access to ResearchGate. And by now you may have discovered the entertaining writings by Deep South Robotics (no business or personal connection with me).

Reactions: Jonty

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc