Issues with my Green Cube Solo and ArduCopter 4.0 & Open Solo 4.0

At this point I'm kinda on the fence. Reading through the development string I get the impression that it the Solo stuff (parameters) have been added and may always be included in future development. Of course since I can currently get them into the air I am willing to wait longer for further confirmation. On the other hand I do have two virtually identical so it may be worth the risk as, worst case, I would still have one I could fly. I think the packages are still in solex so downgrading back to 4.0.1 through solex should be easy enough. I also fly gopro karmas as well and they had to upgrade their firmware at the beginning of the year due to some kind of problem with how they were handling the "world magnetic model". Makes me wonder if Solo is seeing a similar, or at least related issue. However the reports were that the Karmas wouldn't fly and would fail compass calibration attempts. Very little technical info available. I really wish they would open Karma firmware up as it is the only consumer drone I'm aware of that can use Hero 5 through 7. Of course the interest may not be there for someone to pick it up and take the time to further develop it. Alternately, and perhaps even better, if someone were to develop a Hero 5-7 gimbal adapter for the Solo....

Thanks,

User096

Last edited:
Thanks!! I presumed Mission Planner recognized I had 4.0.1 and was simply notifying me 4.0.2 stable release was available. How do you tell if the next release will work with a 3dr solo green cube? Also where do upgrades for the transmitter come from? Sorry for the newbie questions. I want to learn but I don't have the free time I need to truly search the internet. Retirement is still a few years off for me. Maybe then....

Thanks again,

User096

Reactions: fvincent
Thanks!! I presumed Mission Planner recognized I had 4.0.1 and was simply notifying me 4.0.2 stable release was available. How do you tell if the next release will work with a 3dr solo green cube? Also where do upgrades for the transmitter come from? Sorry for the newbie questions. I want to learn but I don't have the free time I need to truly search the internet. Retirement is still a few years off for me. Maybe then....

Thanks again,

User096

Mission Planner wouldn't know which build to use for the Solo so you would probably have gotten the wrong one. All stable releases, betas, and master are compatible with the Solo. You just need to use the right build so it has the default parameters baked in. Which is what I put up on Solex and Side Pilot.

The controller would only get updated with an Open Solo version update. It isn't needed for these minor version increases in ArduCopter.

Mission Planner wouldn't know which build to use for the Solo so you would probably have gotten the wrong one. All stable releases, betas, and master are compatible with the Solo. You just need to use the right build so it has the default parameters baked in. Which is what I put up on Solex and Side Pilot.

The controller would only get updated with an Open Solo version update. It isn't needed for these minor version increases in ArduCopter.
Okay, thanks. Tried uploading ArduCopter 4.0.2 Green Cube FW Only. Solex said it completed and after reboot I had to calibrate IMU and Compass, however under vehicle settings in solex none of the version numbers changed and my wifi password was not reset to default, two things I expected it to do. With my newbie blues I'm not fully confident I did the right thing and actually got the update uploaded. Also the yaw inconsistent by XX degrees is still present. I realize that there is no guarantee 4.0.2 fixes that, but without absolute confidence I actually got the firmware loaded I can't be certain. Also, I loaded an update to solex and now it also says Connected to Vehicle Type: Solo (Arducopter V4.0.1) adding to the confusion for me anyway. I looked at the Open Solo 4.0.0 Clean Install (Copter) package and the notes say it includes Arducopter 4.0.1 so I didn't attempt to install it. Further advice??

Thanks,

User096

Thanks, P2P & user096, we may have a winner…

Installed the new ArduCopter 4.0.2 Green Cube without any issues, apart from showing as ArduCopter V4.0.1(61f191de) – please see below:
AC402-OSolo2.jpg
Performed both, IMU & Compass calibrations, and tested 10 times start-up with 4-5 min waiting, without any prearm messages and arming 100% good to go ?
Short 5 min test flight and again tested 5 times start-ups, without any prearm or any other messages preventing arming.
I will update in a week time, but so far, so good, Thanks again!

I'm guessing you didn't hit refresh in Solex FW updates while connected to the internet, and just reinstalled the same 4.0.1 package you already had. The versions I uploaded to Solex and SidePilot yesterday are indeed 4.0.2, and the title of the package says 4.0.2, with yesterday's date in the description.

and my wifi password was not reset to defaul
Why would it? That only happens if you reset the IMX. These packages are just ArduCopter for the cube. And I force a parameter reset to make you have to redo calibrations and settings that may not convert well between versions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela