Unable to acquire any Satellites

Reaction score
Hello All.

I have come by a used Solo that never acquires any Satellites, app always shows 0 in red for Satellites and the Solo gives a continuous alert tone maybe 20 secs after boot. Same tone as in this video
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Solo and Controller are running Opensolo 3.0.0, I have reinstalled OpenSolo on both the Solo and Controller and reset parameters, Solex connects to the Controller and controller connects to the Solo ok, have tried a known good GPS (with cardboard Mod) and known good associated cable with no change, performed IMU and compass calibrations and currently have the Solo torn down so i can check solder joints etc
Anyone got an idea on where I should focus my attention beyond the GPS connector on the main board ? Is the cube itself likely to be where the issue may lie or maybe the motherboard ?
Many Thanks for any suggestions. Cheers John

I had one like that. The motherboard traces were damaged around the screw hole were the gps cable plugs in

Hello All.

I have come by a used Solo that never acquires any Satellites, app always shows 0 in red for Satellites and the Solo gives a continuous alert tone maybe 20 secs after boot. Same tone as in this video
Solo and Controller are running Opensolo 3.0.0, I have reinstalled OpenSolo on both the Solo and Controller and reset parameters, Solex connects to the Controller and controller connects to the Solo ok, have tried a known good GPS (with cardboard Mod) and known good associated cable with no change, performed IMU and compass calibrations and currently have the Solo torn down so i can check solder joints etc
Anyone got an idea on where I should focus my attention beyond the GPS connector on the main board ? Is the cube itself likely to be where the issue may lie or maybe the motherboard ?
If he doesn’t chime in, @Pedals2Paddles is the open Solo expert so you might send him a PM. Haven’t heard that sound before but I bet he knows what it is.

Hello All.

That sound could be from a disconnected battery i2c connector the small grreen and white wires near the battery main connector under the battery tray..Or the GPS port is buggered somehow (check the pins closely)

Just Connect to Mission planner and read the error messages, also If you haven't already reset the Pixhawk parameters in Mission planner you might want to give that a try, resetting the solo does not reset the Pixhawk it could be as simple as a bad parameter..

Last edited:
Hi guys, thanks very much for the suggestions to date, no success so far, but appreciate any clues to help narrow the problem down.

That sound only happens if the GPS is disconnected. If you've tried another known good GPS and cable, then you probably have a defect in the connector or carrier board traces. Not likely repairable.

That sound only happens if the GPS is disconnected. If you've tried another known good GPS and cable, then you probably have a defect in the connector or carrier board traces. Not likely repairable.
Thanks, any idea where the board traces are headed to ? Known pins on the pixhawk ? If I have 5v and ground at the GPS I probably only have to try rerouting two tracks to have a chance at cracking it.

Quick question, any tricks to powering up a solo main board while out of the frame so i can check if we now have a GPS Signal, I'm assuming that the controller will show all sorts of Level and compass errors, so is my best chance with Mission Planner ? Or is there anything I can see with Solex in that state ?
Do I need motor pods attached ?
Cheers

I don't believe so. If I recall the GPS module gets it's power from the battery thru a regulator, not from the PixHawk

Finally got some time to look closely at the mainboard, didnt like the look of the soldering on the GPS connector on the mainboard so gave it some attention with the soldering iron and hey presto we have satellites, thanks for the suggestions along the way.
Solo number 3 takes to the Air tomorrow ....... may pay to keep her in close in case those satellites go missing again but she is destined to be my new main fishing drone so fingers crossed the GPS behaves long term.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig