Thoughts & opinions of a comfortable fence sitter

@fishpick - Maybe you're right, version 1.01 will better suit you and others abilities. Not going to be perfect by any stretch, based on your abilities for flight or maintenance of the craft. As for "smart people", you may want to set the bar higher for that classification.

I think you're straddling the fence rather than sitting on it. No matter how you straddle the fence's rail it's uncomfortable, unless you toe off to either side for some discomfort relief. Total relief can only be had by stepping completely off the fence. The discomfort is not the fence, it's in your indecision to step off.

I think your opinion regarding deficiencies are incorrect. Based on two years of observation, 3DR's depth of engineering is far above others. Further could you share your crystal ball's vision for the Gimbal issues we are to expect? You're sounding like a Debbie Downer...without any solid facts to your opinions.

Curious what is on the other side of your fence away from 3DR-Solo? I'm fairly certain It is one or another at this point for you to express your opinions openly.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Rich, not everyone is having GPS issues. I am not.
I'm having no problems yet with the 2nd Solo

Except like Sarah, I worry each time I launch that I will have an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sarah B
I worry too, even though i have had no issues, just one user caused crash :)
I find it amazing that most crashes , which are user caused, result in next to no damage to the solo.. it either lands upside down on the battery (better than the soon to be gimbal).
Thing keeps on going :)

@GoodnNuff Yea I should have said most users. Fur sure not all users.

This is a scary situation for me. I can fly manual without issues but I fly beyond limits to the point of RTH about every day. If the GPS drops out, I have problems because I need the bird to know where it is and where home is. If not its going to just drift away in the wind and hopefully get a lock again quickly so it can high tail it back home before it runs out of battery.

It's just that when it veers off, once, I can't help but worry it'll do it again.

Absolutely! And that's why I have not pulled the trigger on buying a Solo just yet. I love the features listed for the Solo, but I can't see going out to fly while worrying about whether or not the aircraft will malfunction.

With my P2V+ my only worries are pilot error. I fly over the ocean, over lagoons, in and around tons of trees, take off from small clearings and drop my P2V+ into small clearings on a regular basis. I've had a few close calls of my own doing and once had a battery fail in flight.

But in the hundreds of hours I have flown my P2V+ not once did I take off worrying about potential mechanical or software failures. Like so many people have posted on this and other forums, that wold be the first thing I thought about if I purchased this version of the Solo. I hope 3DR gets it all worked out soon (hardware and software) because I think it would be a nice addition to my hangar. Until then, I'll sit on the fence as well.

Reactions: Adimuzio513
Absolutely! And that's why I have not pulled the trigger on buying a Solo just yet. I love the features listed for the Solo, but I can't see going out to fly while worrying about whether or not the aircraft will malfunction.

With my P2V+ my only worries are pilot error. I fly over the ocean, over lagoons, in and around tons of trees, take off from small clearings and drop my P2V+ into small clearings on a regular basis. I've had a few close calls of my own doing and once had a battery fail in flight.

But in the hundreds of hours I have flown my P2V+ not once did I take off worrying about potential mechanical or software failures. Like so many people have posted on this and other forums, that wold be the first thing I thought about if I purchased this version of the Solo. I hope 3DR gets it all worked out soon (hardware and software) because I think it would be a nice addition to my hangar. Until then, I'll sit on the fence as well.

Yea and I have a p2 with h33d I've flown for a while as well with good results mostly but I've had two occasions it headed the opposite direction and I had to run toward it and flip into manual. Luckily I saved it on both occasions but was not a good time by any means. They had their fair share of issues with the phantoms as well I'd say you just were blessed like I've been so far with solo. Every new innovative platforms going to have some bugs to fix I'm just happy with how well and how quickly 3dr has been doing it myself, actually admitting fault and standing behind their products. Your probably better off waiting until all is well but honestly I feel more confident in my solo latley than I do my p2. Solo has been flawless ever since about day three. Did have some veering first few flights and got worried after update but eventually next day I did get gps lock again and now I get it in under a minute. Part of the reason I got solo beside the new features was to have that experience you've had with your vision. I always wonder if my next p2 flight will be my last. I'm very ocd about being totally sure everything's been done right on my end so now at least I can have the assurance that if I do have an issue and Lose or crash solo. I'll have a new one headed my way free and that makes flying a lot less stressful and more enjoyable, heck they even give you a hero 4 black even those flying with 3s since they only sell 4s. I love solo and 3dr as a whole so far, who knows maybe that'll change but so far my experience has been great.

Tried to pre order Solo beginning the first of May...by July 1st I was still getting the run around from Mario at customer service while others, who did not pre order, were walking into Best Buy and purchasing off the shelf. I have flown DJI quads for 3 years now..never had much problem..minor things, none of them have even flown off or crashed, but then I've never tried to set altitude or distance records with them. Not sure why all the negative comments on DJI service. There are a half dozen or so reputable companies here in the USA that service drones including the full line of DJI. Yes, if you screw the gimbal/camera up that part has to come from DJI China but every other issue hardware/firmware or crash repair can be solved in a matter of week to 10 days at the several service centers in the USA. There are a couple in Texas, one in Miami,one in Atlanta, several in LA California, just to mention a few. I had high hopes for the SOLO but I reinvested my Solo funds into another DJI product the P3 with 4K ,and as yet with already over 50 hours flight time this past month have not had a GPS fly-away or app crash. If DJI comes up with firmware to match the Solos preset photo modes I may never look back at the Solo.

Tried to pre order Solo beginning the first of May...by July 1st I was still getting the run around from Mario at customer service while others, who did not pre order, were walking into Best Buy and purchasing off the shelf. I have flown DJI quads for 3 years now..never had much problem..minor things, none of them have even flown off or crashed, but then I've never tried to set altitude or distance records with them. Not sure why all the negative comments on DJI service. There are a half dozen or so reputable companies here in the USA that service drones including the full line of DJI. Yes, if you screw the gimbal/camera up that part has to come from DJI China but every other issue hardware/firmware or crash repair can be solved in a matter of week to 10 days at the several service centers in the USA. There are a couple in Texas, one in Miami,one in Atlanta, several in LA California, just to mention a few. I had high hopes for the SOLO but I reinvested my Solo funds into another DJI product the P3 with 4K ,and as yet with already over 50 hours flight time this past month have not had a GPS fly-away or app crash. If DJI comes up with firmware to match the Solos preset photo modes I may never look back at the Solo.
Best of luck doubt you'll see those features till the next identical looking p3plus or p4 I could be wrong but doubt they add these things without making money. I know I shouldn't care so much about looks but I just wanted something different this time and with solo got just that look and options wise, with real competition I'd hope dji becomes more creative in the next versions. If they had this time I may own both but can't justify buying what I have already from p2 with a few more options some of which I'd rarely use at that price. Just me though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela