Thoughts & opinions of a comfortable fence sitter

Reaction score
I have been watching this forum grow since almost day one. Decided to join right around release date and have been sitting on the fence watching things unfold and thought I'd give a non-owners but very interested parties perspective on the Solo.

1- I think 3DR is overwhelmed in terms of trying manage the volume of support they are being asked to provide. It appears they are doing a pretty good job moving through the cases but it certainly seems (to a fence sitter) that they are getting slammed. They expected to sell a crap ton of these (see morning talk show spot) but the subsequent influx of issues just seems to have overwhelmed them a bit.
2- I'm putting money on a Solo rev 1.01 in the next 3-4 months. (Maybe that's optimistic given he gimbal will have its share of issues as well - don't know if their engineering teams overlap or not). But I'm getting pretty comfortable with the notion that there are some underlying hardware, shall we say "deficiencies"? I don't know that it's outright failures but things like the GPS and controller directionality seem to be things that have a hardware component that can't be fixed via firmware and will need to be fixed given how this product is positioned as the everymans anyone can fly drone.
3- There really seems to be some sort of QC issue with the drones rolling off the line. They either seem to work out of the box or there's something just not right at all from day one. I don't know if that's related to 2 but it certainly contributes to 1
4- I'm pretty doubious about there ever being anything released by 3DR for the accessory bay... While its one of the features of the Solo - I'm betting spending their development time on open issues to sell core units will take priority over making a explosive parachute thingie.

I have other thoughts too... But that's the gist of it. I'm not taking all these as my originals either... Some really smart people here have either eluded to these or said these... But as a fence sitter I figured I'd offer a viewpoint of someone who has really wanted to buy one of these but this communities experiences have sorta directed me to get comfortable on the fence for a while longer.

It's OK to sit on the fence all you want until you are personally comfortable. But you have to keep in mind the #s you are looking at. Hardware forums will always draw a larger percentage of those with issues seeking answers than those that are just using the product successfully every day.(Canon Cameras, Ford Mustang, DJI, Samsung Phones, etc..etc..etc..) There are 1000s of Solos in the field now and you could never base actual return rates on any forums of any product.

It's OK to sit on the fence all you want until you are personally comfortable. But you have to keep in mind the #s you are looking at. Hardware forums will always draw a larger percentage of those with issues seeking answers than those that are just using the product successfully every day.(Canon Cameras, Ford Mustang, DJI, Samsung Phones, etc..etc..etc..) There are 1000s of Solos in the field now and you could never base actual return rates on any forums of any product.
Totally agree. But just like a review of a good product on Amazon where there are many account of, say, the same knob falling off - it's usually indicative of a bad knob.
I am not thinkin at all that these are all bad - but consider whichever iPhone it was with the "hold the phone differently" antenna design... That's more what I'm saying. I think there's enough data points now to suggest there may be some hardware concerns that are more than statistical noise. That's all.
And - I put the word opinion in the title for a reason... It's just one dudes view from the outside...

Hate to say it but for the most part I agree with everything @fishpick said.

We have a lot of money invested in a promise that they have not really delivered on yet.

I am hoping they do of course. They are overwhelmed for sure.

Reactions: fishpick
T but consider whichever iPhone it was with the "hold the phone differently" antenna design... That's more what I'm saying. . It's just one dudes view from the outside...

Good Example.. Of a genuine HW defect that was designed based and involved ALL owners. We haven't seen that ..Yet..

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Hate to say it but for the most part I agree with everything @fishpick said.

We have a lot of money invested in a promise that they have not really delivered on yet.

I am hoping they do of course. They are overwhelmed for sure.
I agree that there is a definite QC issue, which explains why some have problems that others never see. As far as promises not delivered.. That would be the Gimbal and free battery for me..

Well Colin made some big promises. "Will do anything any other drone will do". At this point there is a lot it won't do. He said you can use Tower or mission planner if you like. He said it with the tone of why would you want to as if it would include something better. Yes, you can use Tower but in none of this interviews did he mention it would void the warranty as they have not tested it yet.

I am pretty happy with 3DR right now. Their support is 100x better than DJI and for the most part the Solo flies well although my list of little issues from the first firmware update grows every time I fly it.

With me it comes down to one important thing. You have to develop fast to take advantage of the hardware you are using. The solo hardware is time sensitive and either than add all the functionality now or next years drones are going to be 10x better. No one builds quality add-ons for a Pentium 1 PC processor with and ISA slot anymore. The Solo will be a "pentium 1" in the next 18 months.

I hate the DJI company. I really do. But the my P3 flies circles around the Solo. I am hating that.

3DR needs to move quickly and I am skeptical they can do it with this bird. I am positive they will get there eventually but doubting its in the life of the Solo.

Well Colin made some big promises. "Will do anything any other drone will do". At this point there is a lot it won't do. He said you can use Tower or mission planner if you like. He said it with the tone of why would you want to as if it would include something better. Yes, you can use Tower but in none of this interviews did he mention it would void the warranty as they have not tested it yet.

I am pretty happy with 3DR right now. Their support is 100x better than DJI and for the most part the Solo flies well although my list of little issues from the first firmware update grows every time I fly it.

With me it comes down to one important thing. You have to develop fast to take advantage of the hardware you are using. The solo hardware is time sensitive and either than add all the functionality now or next years drones are going to be 10x better. No one builds quality add-ons for a Pentium 1 PC processor with and ISA slot anymore. The Solo will be a "pentium 1" in the next 18 months.

I hate the DJI company. I really do. But the my P3 flies circles around the Solo. I am hating that.

3DR needs to move quickly and I am skeptical they can do it with this bird. I am positive they will get there eventually but doubting its in the life of the Solo.

Ouch crushing dreams so early on a Sunday you must of had a great night with your p3. Already orphaned one solo I bet your seconds getting nervous.

Lol kidding but seriously what issues beside the brick deal have you been seeing since the update?

Mines seemingly been nearly perfect since then I've been much more confident using all the smart shots and am actually very pleased since I updated. That said mines been one that's been fairly lucky and I've not had any deal breakers to this point so since In my opinion most problems seem largely quality control related from new manufacturing maybe I'm lucky. I've seen posted and talked to quite a few people who seemingly have my exact same bird, seems like they were made next to each other in line by how both good and bad are identical across the board, then I've seen others who compared with mine seem to have a different product entirely is why I'm thinking QC. That and just the randomness of the issues the gps seemed to be across more units but some of these issues have been just a handful of users some even having slight differences in the same issues. Just thinking out loud really. Others seeing similar situations?

Lol kidding but seriously what issues beside the brick deal have you been seeing since the update?

Mostly odd things like:
  • GPS slowness everyone has.
  • Video has not started two different times for me and on the first firmware/solo it always worked regardless of what sequence I started in
  • App showing disconnected on start. Requires a Solo Power Cycle to get it back.
  • Same as above except it happened mid flight which required returning home to power cycle.
  • Taking off and noticing my Map shows me in Iowa and a path to Alaska. RTH still worked and I went ahead and flew it but in retrospect I don't know what I was thinking. This has happened twice.
I am probably forgetting stuff. This is disappointing as Solo #1 with original firmware never missed a beat. I am not overly concerned at this point.

Ouch crushing dreams so early on a Sunday you must of had a great night with your p3. Already orphaned one solo I bet your seconds getting nervous.

Mines seemingly been nearly perfect since then I've been much more confident using all the smart shots and am actually very pleased since I updated. That said mines been one that's been fairly lucky and I've not had any deal breakers to this point so since In my opinion most problems seem largely quality control related from new manufacturing maybe I'm lucky. I've seen posted and talked to quite a few people who seemingly have my exact same bird, seems like they were made next to each other in line by how both good and bad are identical across the board, then I've seen others who compared with mine seem to have a different product entirely is why I'm thinking QC. That and just the randomness of the issues the gps seemed to be across more units but some of these issues have been just a handful of users some even having slight differences in the same issues. Just thinking out loud really. Others seeing similar situations?

Everything I have seen appears to point more to QC than any HW design problems. Any hardware problems would show in 100% of users. Like you, I have not had any problems. But there have been plenty of products I have had in the past that made me feel it was a real POS, but was actually the one I got was bad, not the design.

I have not seen anything from 3DR that said 'using Tower will void your warranty'. I have seen them say that if you make a change that is the direct cause of the problem, it 'may' void your warranty. Same with my truck, there is a lot I can add to and modify without voiding the warranty. But if I put a programmer to it and change timing, rev limiter and shift points and blow the motor, I would not expect a new motor under warranty.

If Colin said that this would do what any other drone would do, then that would be incorrect on it's face if taken literally as there are too many specialty drones on the market and no manuf could make that claim and nor would I believe it. This is my first 'consumer' MR and for what it is, I think they did a good job in the design. Previously I had always built my own hexes and quads and each of those probably did something that was better than the Solo. But I bought the Solo for it's completeness in a small package that would be much easier to transport and that fact that it had the Pixhawk 2 and smart shots with the gimbal. Now I just have to wait and see if the gimbal is all it is promised to be. If not, they will see more returns, including mine.

Mostly odd things like:
  • GPS slowness everyone has.
  • Video has not started two different times for me and on the first firmware/solo it always worked regardless of what sequence I started in
  • App showing disconnected on start. Requires a Solo Power Cycle to get it back.
  • Same as above except it happened mid flight which required returning home to power cycle.
  • Taking off and noticing my Map shows me in Iowa and a path to Alaska. RTH still worked and I went ahead and flew it but in retrospect I don't know what I was thinking. This has happened twice.
I am probably forgetting stuff. This is disappointing as Solo #1 with original firmware never missed a beat. I am not overly concerned at this point.

Thanks yea seems each of these are snowflakes with their own little personality at this point good luck I'm readying for takeoff so shutting the wifi down. I'll check back here in a bit.

Rrm: when you your P3 can fly circles, what do you mean? Just curious since this is my first drone. Is it the little short coming your mentioned with connections dropping and the firmware issues or is it actually flying?

Thanks
Ryan G

I don't see anything that screams HW issue. That doesn't mean they couldn't have selected better components like in the case of the WiFi cards used (my own opinion). I would think they could've gone higher power.

I believe there is definitely a QC problem though. Too many random defects on new units.

It's a confidence thing. We have a Phantom 2 Vision--non plus--that's used several times a week for work. It's nearly two years old, it's never been in a case, and it's never crashed. We use the Phantom primarily for still shots, and prefer the simpler, more durable gimbal. I've lost satellites many times, but the Phantom is mostly stable, and easy to fly without GPS.

The Solo? I lost satellites in my backyard, and 3DR's helicopter zoomed away, out of control, like a bumblebee on meth. I still can't get video on an iPad. I just don't feel confident that something crazy won't happen with the Solo when I send it into the air.

Reactions: 50wyldeman
It's a confidence thing. We have a Phantom 2 Vision--non plus--that's used several times a week for work. It's nearly two years old, it's never been in a case, and it's never crashed. We use the Phantom primarily for still shots, and prefer the simpler, more durable gimbal. I've lost satellites many times, but the Phantom is mostly stable, and easy to fly without GPS.

The Solo? I lost satellites in my backyard, and 3DR's helicopter zoomed away, out of control, like a bumblebee on meth. I still can't get video on an iPad. I just don't feel confident that something crazy won't happen with the Solo when I send it into the air.
take your solo out to a big field .
get everything working and fly it.
you won't know til you try it.
i have a phanton 2 vision
Bought it when they first came out

take your solo out to a big field .
get everything working and fly it.
you won't know til you try it.
i have a phanton 2 vision
Bought it when they first came out

Well, but I have flown it. I've probably been through 30 fully-charged batteries. It's just that when it veers off, once, I can't help but worry it'll do it again. Maybe I didn't express myself well, above. These helicopters should function as promised, and be fun. No one should have to spend hours trying to get a video feed to work, like someone mentioned in another thread. Or ... Rick shouldn't have to use a Phantom to photograph fireworks 'cause the solo's maps are funky and he doesn't trust them. The voices on this forum are a small representation of total users. Why didn't 3DR give fifty helicopters to fifty people for a day to foresee and correct the problems everyone is complaining about? I don't get that.

Don't think there was any knocking of any sort there...
You don't have a leg to stand on!
Until you own one and fly it. Then you can talk all you want. I don't own a P3 so I dont go on their forum and bitch about all the issues it has and that their support sucks. I do own a P2 which I have voiced my opinion on that forum in regards to their support. My P2, other than a motor and an ESC has been a good flyer. But so has the Solo.
Find a quad with no issues, 3 axis gimbal, good camera comparable to the GoPro, with good support, good warranty, based in the U.S., cost around $1300 to $1500, autonomous flight capable, app driven, good radio range, streaming FPV. Report back when you find it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc