Thoughts on WiFi Upgrade

Reaction score
I am just thinking out loud here. I wonder how many people feel it is essential to upgrade both wifi cards, just the controller's wifi card or none at all. I guess you could say it is my thought (or question) of the day!!

Been using Solo since the pre-order in 2015. Been very happy with just the FPVLR antenna. Haven't been out far enough to lose connection except in testing when I turn off the controller.

Reactions: Bret
Just replacing the controller's card would be ineffective. Communication is two way. It's not accomplishing anything if the controller reach the solo but the solo can't reach the controller. In fact, the controller already has higher gain antennas than the solo, so it's already more powerful than the solo to begin with. Do both or don't waste your time.

That said, my question to you would be "WHY". Don't go replacing WiFi cards just because you see other people doing it. This is a mission need modification. If you are not regularly flying far enough way to be losing connection, there is absolutely no reason to do the WiFi card swap, or change antennas, or do any other modifications of the sort. So to answer your question "is it essential", the answer is NO.

Reactions: SARDG and Bret
Just replacing the controller's card would be ineffective. Communication is two way. It's not accomplishing anything if the controller reach the solo but the solo can't reach the controller. In fact, the controller already has higher gain antennas than the solo, so it's already more powerful than the solo to begin with. Do both or don't waste your time.

That said, my question to you would be "WHY". Don't go replacing WiFi cards just because you see other people doing it. This is a mission need modification. If you are not regularly flying far enough way to be losing connection, there is absolutely no reason to do the WiFi card swap, or change antennas, or do any other modifications of the sort. So to answer your question "is it essential", the answer is NO.

Very good point, P2P! I really don't have a mission where it would be critical to have the extra power. I also have no need to go out to long ranges, as what I want to accomplish with my Solo is filming videos from a boat or a lake. I suppose one reason could be if I were to get close to a canopy of trees or to orbit a tall structure where I would lose line of sight momentarily, maybe the "extra" punch would keep from losing connectivity. Thanks for clearing some of this up! I really appreciate it!

I installed both upgrade wifi cards, as I live and fly around a heavily treed area. I wanted the extra punch.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I installed both upgrade wifi cards, as I live and fly around a heavily treed area. I wanted the extra punch.

Was you flying manual or in GPS mode?

I suppose one reason could be if I were to get close to a canopy of trees or to orbit a tall structure where I would lose line of sight momentarily, maybe the "extra" punch would keep from losing connectivity.
Sadly, it won't. The nature of higher frequencies is that they do not bend and bounce around obstructions. It will still lose connection.

Sadly, it won't. The nature of higher frequencies is that they do not bend and bounce around obstructions. It will still lose connection.

Pardon me for me being such a newbie. The impression one gets from reading various posts on the Internet would tend to indicate otherwise. You really hit it on the head with your earlier comment, if it is critical to your mission. At this point, I am extremely satisfied with the performance of the Solo for what I do. Perhaps, I should leave the modification for now.

Still interesting to see what experiences others have, though!

Bret, that video was all in "Fly Manual". I do venture out front, on the street, and then go to "Fly" and go up high and do panoramic shots. I haven't hit a RTL, "YET" but with all these trees, I'm very cautious.

eswaroop that's the one. You can find cheaper, but not as plug and play as this one is. Also, as I understand it, MRO is run/owned by Jordi Munoz, who used to work for 3DR. Is the performance upgrade worth the $80? To me, It's a little peace of mind, like buying cheap tires for your car, or buying the more expensive tires ???
(copied from another site)
"co-founder Jordi Munoz, left the company last year as part of the ramping down of 3DR’s operations in San Diego"

I have that very card in one of my Solos and a mast mounted HERE on the other. I’ll sell the HERE if anyone is interested. All mounted and wires strung it ready to basically plug and play. $65 includes shipping. I just like the MRO much much better and it will pull in 20-25 satellites everyday.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc