Talk me into buying a solo

Reaction score
So with the prices dropping on the 3dr solo I am very interested in one, although I am very skeptical now that 3dr has dropped out of the drone market.
Will there still be technical support for these things?
Are there aftermarket parts to replace the common mishaps?
And does 3dr keep up with all the software updates? The mobile app?
I'd hate to have a paperweight in my house in a couple months because I get a new up to date phone and it is not compatible with the drone, or the drone isn't updated with the latest satellites.
Basically is it worth buying a solo at best buy for 300 or should I save up for something better?

If you can find one at a legitimate store but one.
You'll love it.

Will that do?

yeah that is kind of a personal choice
and you are on a solo users group so there is that
I will just say this, at the current price point its a great value

I agree on the Go Pro comment. I had a Go Pro to begin with so it made sense to me. If you do not already have a go pro and have no other use for one, I'd probably go another way. If you have use for a Go Pro Hero 4 Black, B&H Photo sells the entire system including the GPH4B for $600. Who knows it may go back on sale for $538.

Reactions: Viper126
random note: having taken apart a DJI Mavic, I will say Solo is much easier to DIY. Motor pods is basically 4 screw, pop out a plastic cover and 3 connectors. DJI's is soldered in.

I was told the latest iOS doesn't work with Solo app...making it almost useless on new Apple devices. Solo with gimbal is barely 18 months old, very sad what it has come to.

So with the prices dropping on the 3dr solo I am very interested in one, although I am very skeptical now that 3dr has dropped out of the drone market.
I'd hate to have a paperweight in my house in a couple months because I get a new up to date phone and it is not compatible with the drone, or the drone isn't updated with the latest satellites.
Basically is it worth buying a solo at best buy for 300 or should I save up for something better?
They are $199.99 on eBay.

I do have a GoPro hero 3+ black

Well, it's not a bad deal and gets your feet wet for 300 hundred bucks with the gimbal from a reputable company. Best Buy sells refurb for $200 and the gimbal for $50.

As far as support goes, I had a problem with mine and they paid to ship it and sent me another one. No money out of pocket for me.

Only buy a Solo if you want the best device for capturing the best aerial cinematic shots on the market. And, just maybe, needing to fine-tune it a bit (and oh yes, let's remember, learning to fly it too).
If that's not really what you're looking for - say you just want to throw the thing into the air and see magic happen - look somewhere else.
I'm kind of hesitant to admit this, but Solo seems to be evolving into an "experts only" drone.
Kinda sad, really, but that's what's happening.

Reactions: Bret and DJMc
Only buy a Solo if you want the best device for capturing the best aerial cinematic shots on the market. And, just maybe, needing to fine-tune it a bit (and oh yes, let's remember, learning to fly it too).
If that's not really what you're looking for - say you just want to throw the thing into the air and see magic happen - look somewhere else.
I'm kind of hesitant to admit this, but Solo seems to be evolving into an "experts only" drone.

Yes and no on that.

If you want to go down the line of upgrades and improvements then it's up to you.

It's still very easy to fly but has the added advantage of doing more and better if you want.

That's an interesting take... I agree
Yes and no on that.

If you want to go down the line of upgrades and improvements then it's up to you.

It's still very easy to fly but has the added advantage of doing more and better if you want.

+1 I was thinking the same thing. Most of the guys on here that claim Solo is the best drone also have a ton of modifications. If it was the "best drone on the market" you wouldn't need to modify basic systems like gps, WiFi, etc. Just my .02. Don't get me wrong btw, I think it's a viable system. I'm just not sure I'd use the word "best" when other systems have better gps, better range, better cameras, longer battery life, are more portable, etc. Heck, even with the recent price reductions, if you add the cost of the unit with the cost of the go pro you're not that much different.

Last edited:
That's an interesting take... I agree

+1 I was thinking the same thing. Mist of the guys on here that claim Solo is the best drone also have a ton of modifications. If it was the "best drone on the market" you wouldn't need to modify basic systems like gps, WiFi, etc. Just my .02.

Everyone can have there .02 cents.
Go to the DJI forum and ask on there which is the best drone?
Of course they will say one of the DJI products (I have no interest in DJI I like Solo)
Then ask them if they can "upgrade" there drone without buying the latest version.

Also ask who has upgraded there wifi antennas and if they had the ability to use other cameras would they?
If they have upgraded there camera lenses or added filters?
The solo will connect to and camera with a hdmi output.

I'm not in anyway trying to compare these manufacturers or there drones, just saying, you pay your money you takes your choice.

We chose solo.

Reactions: Kelly Schrock
Hi John, I could not tell if you have flown any drones before, but I can say without exception the Solo just has to be the easiest to fly. Your gp 3+ black will work just fine. I think I read that it cost 3DR over $750 to make one.

If you need talking into buying anything then it isn't for you.

Only you can decide if it is the right drone for you or if you even really want one.

I came across the Solo when I saw it on a site at a great price, so great I smelled a fish lol. This lead to lots of research on the company who made it, the company that was selling it, lots of negative and positive reviews on youtube and found this forum.

Then I decided to purchase knowing that 3dr were no longer supporting it, that I would need to upgrade the GPS and shield and would probably need to tinker (I like to tinker)

Then a week later I saw them on amazon for $260 so bought another as a spare and a spare gimbal for $38

I couldn't be happier with my purchases but I couldn't say its right for you.

All the best

Reactions: Barramundi
Everyone can have there .02 cents.
Go to the DJI forum and ask on there which is the best drone?
Of course they will say one of the DJI products (I have no interest in DJI I like Solo)
Then ask them if they can "upgrade" there drone without buying the latest version.

Also ask who has upgraded there wifi antennas and if they had the ability to use other cameras would they?
If they have upgraded there camera lenses or added filters?
The solo will connect to and camera with a hdmi output.

I'm not in anyway trying to compare these manufacturers or there drones, just saying, you pay your money you takes your choice.

We chose solo.

We are more in agreement then otherwise. I was reacting to the word "best". Considering that most other manufacturers have "better" built in gps or range. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I certainly wouldn't modify the WiFi on a Mavic, for example, considering that it already has a 4+ mile range. Let's see you keep line of sight at that distance! Since it has glonass and standard gps I doubt people are changing that- I agree that it might not even be possible.

the best way i look at it is - i got a drone worth $1,300 for only $260. how can you beat that. plus i can upgrade any parts on my solo.

don't buy one...it was good but now unsupported and on its way to bankruptcy. App is no longer compatible with apple. If you just want to fly...there are better ones to get. Gopro camera feature is being killed by apple and gopro.

random note: having taken apart a DJI Mavic, I will say Solo is much easier to DIY. Motor pods is basically 4 screw, pop out a plastic cover and 3 connectors. DJI's is soldered in.

I was told the latest iOS doesn't work with Solo app...making it almost useless on new Apple devices. Solo with gimbal is barely 18 months old, very sad what it has come to.
This is true...useless app now...no estimate on update. Company suggested getting an android device...Sure throw away another $400

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig