Talk me into buying a solo

This is true...useless app now...no estimate on update. Company suggested getting an android device...Sure throw away another $400
Jeez.
Everyone here knows what I mean.
Go get a Mavic - they're becoming more available.

This is true...useless app now...no estimate on update. Company suggested getting an android device...Sure throw away another $400

why would it become useless. android tablet can be had for about $60-80. let's just say your IOS is the one that is useless now but not the solo as you can still use solo with android.

don't buy one...it was good but now unsupported and on its way to bankruptcy. App is no longer compatible with apple. If you just want to fly...there are better ones to get. Gopro camera feature is being killed by apple and gopro.

well you can look at it this way - you're getting a $1,300++ drone for $299? isn't that motivation enough for you to get one. even if it's unsupported you can still fly it. find a drone out there with all the specs as the solo for $299. easy fix for IOS - get an android tablet.

well you can look at it this way - you're getting a $1,300++ drone for $299? isn't that motivation enough for you to get one. even if it's unsupported you can still fly it. find a drone out there with all the specs as the solo for $299. easy fix for IOS - get an android tablet.
I agree with you about 80%. The reason it's not 100% is that you're doing what everyone else here does when you talk about what a great value the Solo is now. You're forgetting about the other discontinued item that is necessary for the system to work-the Go Pro Hero 3 or 4. Even now the GPH4B goes for around $330. So that puts you in around $600. Not bad for this system if it were good right out of the box but everyone knows that's not the case for the most part.

Last edited:
I agree with you about 80%. The reason it's not 100% is that you're doing what everyone rise here does when you talk about what a great value the Solo is now. You're forgetting about the other discontinued item that is necessary for the system to work-the Go Pro Hero 3 or 4. Even now the GPH4B goes for around $330. So that puts you in around $600. Not bad for this system if it were good right out of the box but everyone knows that's not the case for the most part.
Now THAT is pure unadulterated BS. In 99.9 cases Solos have worked GREAT out the box.

I have 5 Solos all in various configurations. Only one has the mRo M8N GPS upgrade, the rest are basically flying stock, any upgrades were more tinkering than a validated need. Unless you want to push the envelope, a stock Solo will do what you need within reason.
It is an awesome value, regardless of whatever happens with 3DR. Remember, Solo is based on open hardware and software, so the DIY community will provide you whatever support you need for the life of the quad.
I have been building multirotors for a few years, and have several. Whenever I have a paid job or going on vacation, the Solo is what I grab every time.
The Mavic Pro looks amazing, but expensive and looks fragile. Depending on your budget and needs, going with DJI might be the right decision for you.
I like the absolute control and ability to mod my Solo that comes with open source. I usually fly with Mission Planner to allow me to monitor what is going on, or for an auto mission. I also don't like DJI being able to "turn off" my quad when they feel like it.

I agree with you about 80%. The reason it's not 100% is that you're doing what everyone rise here does when you talk about what a great value the Solo is now. You're forgetting about the other discontinued item that is necessary for the system to work-the Go Pro Hero 3 or 4. Even now the GPH4B goes for around $330. So that puts you in around $600. Not bad for this system if it were good right out of the box but everyone knows that's not the case for the most part.
I got my GoPro for $199 so that puts me total of $459. Which is still a better deal than the Dji. To each his own. We love our solos for what it is and love your drone no matter what you get. I don't know why you hate solo so much. The only thing I can tell you is we're ok with our solos.

Last edited:
I got my GoPro for $199 so that puts me total of $459. Which is still a better deal than the Dji. To each his own. We love our solos for what it is and love your drone no matter what you get. In all honesty I don't know why you hate solo so much. If that's the case why bother spending your time lurking here. They do have DJI forums you know.

Agree with us or leave, huh? Well, I've owned 6 Solos total, dating back to when they first went on sale for $399, the back pack for $99 and the gimbal was $199. I didn't jump in during the fire sale. I'm keeping it real. I don't hate the damn thing, nor do I love it since it's an inanimate object. I do recognize its short comings and when someone asked specifically for advice, I didn't shoot them rainbows and kittens. If that makes me a dick or whatever so be it.

The Solo with a camera, gimbal, brand new, best deal I've seen is $600. The Autel X Star for example is $800. Better range, better GPS, arguably a better camera, comes with the case included, awesome customer support, accessories available anywhere, similar flight modes to Solo. In fact, Best Buy had it on sale for $600 at one point I think. Maybe it was $700 with a second battery... In any case, I have a Solo and if I count my very first one, I'm coming up on an anniversary. There are very few people on this board that have had as much negative experience with Solo as I have. Im still flying mine. It's a refurb (number 6) 3DR sent me when the second to last one i bought (number 4) had a catastrophic failure and died after maybe 10 flights. Then the 5th set i bought, while I was waiting for my refurb, to have a spare, had a problem (computer board according to 3DR) and I returned it to the store. Heck, the refurb is twitchy, acts a little wonky sometimes. I just turn everything off and start over.
Now THAT is pure unadulterated BS. In 99.9 cases Solos have worked GREAT out the box.

I've had 6 total, including the refurb I have now and every one has had a catastrophic failure. People have wanted to blame it on me but 3DR didn't. In all but the first case (fly away-found it) where I returned it to Best Buy without consulting 3DR, they have looked over my flight logs and offered to replace it. I've taken them up on it once and the other times, I've exchanged it at the store. I've had six, five have failed (so far), four acknowledged as system failures by 3DR... That's a bit more than .1 .

Agree with us or leave, huh? Well, I've owned 6 Solos total, dating back to when they first went on sale for $399, the back pack for $99 and the gimbal was $199. I didn't jump in during the fire sale. I'm keeping it real. I don't hate the damn thing, nor do I love it since it's an inanimate object. I do recognize its short comings and when someone asked specifically for advice, I didn't shoot them rainbows and kittens. If that makes me a dick or whatever so be it.

The Solo with a camera, gimbal, brand new, best deal I've seen is $600. The Autel X Star for example is $800. Better range, better GPS, arguably a better camera, comes with the case included, awesome customer support, accessories available anywhere, similar flight modes to Solo. In fact, Best Buy had it on sale for $600 at one point I think. Maybe it was $700 with a second battery... In any case, I have a Solo and if I count my very first one, I'm coming up on an anniversary. There are very few people on this board that have had as much negative experience with Solo as I have. Im still flying mine. It's a refurb (number 6) 3DR sent me when the second to last one i bought (number 4) had a catastrophic failure and died after maybe 10 flights. Then the 5th set i bought, while I was waiting for my refurb, to have a spare, had a problem (computer board according to 3DR) and I returned it to the store. Heck, the refurb is twitchy, acts a little wonky sometimes. I just turn everything off and start over.

I've had 6 total, including the refurb I have now and every one has had a catastrophic failure. People have wanted to blame it on me but 3DR didn't. In all but the first case (fly away-found it) where I returned it to Best Buy without consulting 3DR, they have looked over my flight logs and offered to replace it. I've taken them up on it once and the other times, I've exchanged it at the store. I've had six, five have failed (so far), four acknowledged as system failures by 3DR... That's a bit more than .1 .

Remind me not to get on an airplane with you!

I don't know why I care if you all understand my position but here goes,

#1 Flew away on 3rd or 4th flight. I found it and Best Buy exchanged.

#2 Kept losing GPS, 3DR acknowledged problem, suggested GPS shield. I suggested they take my Solo, install it and return it to me free of charge. 3DR refused. I had a few days on my return policy so I took it back. Best Buy applied the money to a Mavic Pro and took 20% off to make it almost a wash. I waited.

#3 Got tired of waiting for Mavic. Best Buy had Solo with back pack and gimbal for $300. Gave it another try. Lost signal, did a RTH, landed but didn't turn off, flipped and destroyed itself before I could stop it. 3DR offered to replace but I returned for credit.

#4 Had money on a return card from the Mavic, $300 with gimbal and spare battery. Bought for spare. I started using it after #3 failed. Controller "failed to calibrate" message. 3DR offered to replace, I took them up on it this time and ordered GPS shield.

#5 While waiting for replacement, B&H had Solo with gimbal and GPH4B on sale for $538 shipped! Jumped on it! The gimbal wouldn't level no matter what I did. Tried a second gimbal, same results. 3DR offered to replace, I returned to B&H for refund.

#6 Refurbished unit 3DR sent me to replace #4. I installed GPS shield, extended controller battery, R3D parts and Alfa antenna. It's a little glitch-ish but seems to operate okay for now.

This is why I have the opinion that I do. It's not born of "hate" or anything of the sort. It's born from experience. I completely agree that the Solo is awesome when it's working and I have probably 50+ hours of video but again I'm not going to pretend that it's all peaches when someone asks for honest advice. Unless you like to "tinker", as it's been called and already own a Go Pro, I don't think this is the best set up for most people. It's a discontinued drone attached to a discontinued, soon to be unavailable camera. It's not a recipe for longevity in my opinion.

Just bought one today off amazon for $300, included extra battery, gimbal and backpack

Just bought one today off amazon for $300, included extra battery, gimbal and backpack
Congrats. That's a good deal. Have you received them yet. Anyway this forum will be able to help you out for any issues you might have. Have fun flying.

I don't know why I care if you all understand my position but here goes,

#1 Flew away on 3rd or 4th flight. I found it and Best Buy exchanged.

#2 Kept losing GPS, 3DR acknowledged problem, suggested GPS shield. I suggested they take my Solo, install it and return it to me free of charge. 3DR refused. I had a few days on my return policy so I took it back. Best Buy applied the money to a Mavic Pro and took 20% off to make it almost a wash. I waited.

#3 Got tired of waiting for Mavic. Best Buy had Solo with back pack and gimbal for $300. Gave it another try. Lost signal, did a RTH, landed but didn't turn off, flipped and destroyed itself before I could stop it. 3DR offered to replace but I returned for credit.

#4 Had money on a return card from the Mavic, $300 with gimbal and spare battery. Bought for spare. I started using it after #3 failed. Controller "failed to calibrate" message. 3DR offered to replace, I took them up on it this time and ordered GPS shield.

#5 While waiting for replacement, B&H had Solo with gimbal and GPH4B on sale for $538 shipped! Jumped on it! The gimbal wouldn't level no matter what I did. Tried a second gimbal, same results. 3DR offered to replace, I returned to B&H for refund.

#6 Refurbished unit 3DR sent me to replace #4. I installed GPS shield, extended controller battery, R3D parts and Alfa antenna. It's a little glitch-ish but seems to operate okay for now.

This is why I have the opinion that I do. It's not born of "hate" or anything of the sort. It's born from experience. I completely agree that the Solo is awesome when it's working and I have probably 50+ hours of video but again I'm not going to pretend that it's all peaches when someone asks for honest advice. Unless you like to "tinker", as it's been called and already own a Go Pro, I don't think this is the best set up for most people. It's a discontinued drone attached to a discontinued, soon to be unavailable camera. It's not a recipe for longevity in my opinion.
Enough said, thanks for the input everyone. I like the solo and everything it offers for the price, very scared to buy a product that is made by a company that it now out of the game and doesn't stand behind their product anymore. And after hearing that the app will not work with my iPhone 7, I have to go another route, maybe one day if I get a steal on a used one I'll bite the bullet.
Ordered my dji mavic today!

Actually this is my second drone, my first is a xiro xplorer v, the reason I bought the solo is that it has the most support and chance of upgrading it because it is open sourced. Name another brand that can be upgraded to this level. Look at the phantom and how many generations it is up to now with latest announcement. This is an enthusiasts drone, and now its priced accordingly to be just that. You want an easy to fly, fpv with good cam then get a dji or xiro, if you want a hobby buy a solo.

Actually this is my second drone, my first is a xiro xplorer v, the reason I bought the solo is that it has the most support and chance of upgrading it because it is open sourced. Name another brand that can be upgraded to this level. Look at the phantom and how many generations it is up to now with latest announcement. This is an enthusiasts drone, and now its priced accordingly to be just that. You want an easy to fly, fpv with good cam then get a dji or xiro, if you want a hobby buy a solo.
It is priced accordingly because 3dr's product did not live up to the hype and mass produced more units than they could ever imagine selling, now they are out of the drone game and have stopped production.
If my mavic flies away, I'm more than positive that dji will stand behind their product. I'm also sure 3dr would stand behind their product, if they were still producing it.
Not trying to bash solo on their forum, just stating reasons behind my purchase.

I would never encourage anyone get a Solo. That leaves more potential replacements if anything happens to my pair.

Also their footage will not have the cinematic transitions that MPCC offers.

Reactions: Vegasrobbi
I would never encourage anyone get a Solo. That leaves more potential replacements if anything happens to my pair.

Also their footage will not have the cinematic transitions that MPCC offers.
Good answer! Extremely and cryptically diplomatic (and satisfyingly self serving) too!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc