Stock Solo Cube SD Image corrupted

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Newbie to the forum, but I've been lurking since I ordered back duing the pre-order days. Part 107 certified with some software development under my belt.

I don't have much free time, but I have found this forum so knowledgeable and helpful, joining was a necessity. I apologize in advance that my first post is a request for help, but I'm short on options.

I purchased a green cube for a test Solo, but running into an issue during the upgrade and I hope someone can help.

In short, after a complete teardown,my stock Solo cube is bricked and the SD card is corrupted. I was hoping someone who has done the upgrade to the Green cube would be kind enough to either zip me a copy of the SD image from the stock Solo cube SD card, or perhaps plug in the board via serial or USB and help me to determine the contents of the filesystem so I can try to rebuild it myself? Currently, it only contains a logs directory with dataflash logs that stopped logging when the cube went dead, and some terrain files.

I have the golden factory images for Solo's IMX6 and Artoo, but I'm looking for the image on the cube's SD card.

Getting to this point was definitely my fault due to experimenting before I fully understood the consequences and I own that, although this particular Solo is expendable as a test platform and the experience did provide more insight into the software stack, so it was instructive.

The root cause was enabling Mavlink on the serial port on a stock Solo, which somehow locked up Solo, which led to a factory reset that somehow failed and bricked the stock cube. Perhaps I changed something else I was unaware of, not sure, but that doesn't change the end result.

I've been struggling to get this resolved so I can get this bird flying again. It's been grounded for a month. My only options at this point are a new cube, or to tear down a brand new Solo for it's SD image.

Any help is greatly appreciated and I hope to return the favor.

Thanks,

sky_high

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
I could probably pull the PixHawk SDcard from one of my spare birds and put it into an envelope for you. It's easier than waiting for my slow-as-molasses Internet to upload 4gb...

All I ask is you image it onto another card and send one or the other back to me. PM me if interested.

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
Hello XevetS,

Thanks for the reply and offer to help. As just_bruce said, it is the SD image off the pixhawk that I'm looking for, but I do appreciate the quick offer.

I should be able to get my hands on one this week, so I can get back in the air before the rain starts.

These requests seem to come up at random, but it seems to be a critical one. It would be nice to have a resource that basically had the images for a stock bird and a Green Cube bird. I.MX6 and the pixhawk. Obviously a hosting service where they could be downloaded would be best, but probably may cost a bit. Not sure if there's a postage or paypal option if someone's got the time. (send someone a SAE with memory cards and $20 for their time?). Thinking it's worth a little brainstorm for what could be a very valuable resource. Anyone got any thoughts?

The problem with hosting is that you are talking about a minimum 4GB of download *per hit*. That's multiple TB of download traffic per month even if lightly used (50 hits/day).

I'm happy to image and send off microSD cards in the mail for the cost of the card and $10. Or, I'll send one to you to image yourself if you seem trustworthy enough to me. Cost of postage both ways is all at that point.

Just tryin to help out.

The problem with hosting is that you are talking about a minimum 4GB of download *per hit*. That's multiple TB of download traffic per month even if lightly used (50 hits/day).

I'm happy to image and send off microSD cards in the mail for the cost of the card and $10. Or, I'll send one to you to image yourself if you seem trustworthy enough to me. Cost of postage both ways is all at that point.

Just tryin to help out.
Aye, I appreciate you helping out, I think the postage option is the only thing that's viable at the moment, especially considering the size of the images and amount of images. I think the list of all images is as follows:

1: Controller image.
2: Stock Solo IMX6
3: Stock Pix Hawk Image
4: GC Solo IMX6 image
5: GC Pixhawk Image

The reason I list both IMX6 images is that during the upgrade, the stock image is changed, not sure to what extent other than the lights and sound are different.

Course if everyone upgrades to the GC, that knocks two of the needed images off that list! Then again, learning how to properly upgrade would also knock off the need for some of those images..................... ahem...............

Anyway, if you're up for a shopping list, I'll take a #4 & #5 with a side order of fries! :)

I would need to acquire #4 and #5 . my spare funds are currently accumulating towards replacing the motor I just puked on my toy car (2001 Prelude) so no Green Cube for me as yet...

These requests seem to come up at random, but it seems to be a critical one. It would be nice to have a resource that basically had the images for a stock bird and a Green Cube bird. I.MX6 and the pixhawk. Obviously a hosting service where they could be downloaded would be best, but probably may cost a bit. Not sure if there's a postage or paypal option if someone's got the time. (send someone a SAE with memory cards and $20 for their time?). Thinking it's worth a little brainstorm for what could be a very valuable resource. Anyone got any thoughts?

Agreed Irishman... It's such a simple thing to reflash an SD card - assuming you have the image and such a problem if you don't... I do think bandiwdth would be an issue, though.

Route 2.... get stock images for IMX6 and Pixhawk (still have original). Fix the bird that way, and then go through the upgrade process again, but hopefully with more luck.....
Just seems somewhat longer a route to go.

Well, if someone offered up a GC image I'd take it in the mail and keep it on storage for if folks needed it.

If you're interested in snail-mail exchange of images, let me know. I can mail one or both out. Or you can ship me some blank cards and an SAE and I'll image them and ship them to you.

I can get a GC image, however it's just not a very good GC image (still can't figure out why the smart shots aren't working). Tell you what, I'll happily take option #2 & #3 which I think you do have? Send you some blank SD cards and an SAE and pay you for your time. If I get the GC bird working properly, I'll take an image of the IMX6 and GC, put them on cards and send them to you FOC.

I too have now accumulated Solo, Artoo stock cube and GC images and knowing how valuable they are, would also be willing to share if anyone should find they need one.

I got the stock cube image, but it didn't correct the problem. So, before I invest blindly in a fix, I'd like thr
this out there to see if anyone may have an idea what to do. I'm not eve sure if I can just replace the cube or just get another Solo.

I reflashed the controller's SD card to factory
I reflashed the Solo's SD card to factory
I reflashed the Cube's SD card with a current image.
When that failed to solve it, I tried all of the suggested reset procedures found here and in 3DRs documentation, including resetting he pixhawk... Nothing.

But I doubt it is hopeless, because there are signs of life:

I can factory reset Artoo
I can factory reset Solo
I can pair Artoo and Solo
I can ping Solo from Artoo
I can ping Artoo from Solo
I can FTP and SSH into both Artoo and Solo and drop files in either.

So they are paired and connected, Solo just can't see the Pixhawk.

Factory reset does not seem to reset every parameter, so the first flight update is failing at the end and staying at green LEDS like other
users have reported, however none of the reported solutions worked. In the end, the system reports Solo and controller at v2.4.2 and the Pixhawk
at v1.3.1 of the ArduCopter Firmware, but still no Mavlink connection.

In researching how to fully reset Pixhawk parms, I have seen several suggestions, ranging from uploading rover firmware to pulling the battery during boot,
but I'm not too keen on trying those.So where are the actual parameters stored? on EEPROM somewhere? If I drop a new cube in there, will it even solve the problem?

I've got a shiny new green cube still in its anti-static bag... I got it to replace the original cube before I bricked it...
Considering the connectivity issues, would proceeeding to do the GC upgrade make thigs worse?
Could the wipe_firmware.px4 file be used to unlock the bricked cube?

Any possible solutions are welcome.

Sounds like the serial connection on the PixHawk is hosed. I'd wonder if the main board was part of the problem... or if maybe the IMX6 wasn't seated or otherwise to blame?

Yes it's hosed. I checked and all connections are good... I too wonder whether the board is the problem...
The Serial4 connection (gimbal) is shared, but serial2 was suppsed to be only for the accessory bay. 3dr indicated it was "unsupported" for developer use, but was completely vague when I pressed further to inquire whether that ("unsupported") meant "not enabled".

Thanks

I think the next open solo release will handle all of this
supposed to be able to restore stock or green cube solos with new golden image

Reactions: sky_high
I think the next open solo release will handle all of this
supposed to be able to restore stock or green cube solos with new golden image

Hi Pyrate.. That was another thought that came to mind.

I have a good dev environment and the needed tools, so perhaps I'll have a look at the repo before the next release.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig