Speed vs power or speed vs watts required

SPP

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am still on snail setting, me scared to do rabbit for now ;) , the landing in Rabbit me scared.... LOL.

I notice when I tested RTL , Solo speed up 9.8 meters/sec compared to my full throttle SNAIL at 5.3 meters/sec or so.

The catch is, at 5.3 m/sec my Solo consume 250 watts and at 9.8 m/sec, it consume 275 watts or so.
Has anyone ever plotted speed vs watts in real flight ?

I know movie making is best to have Solo fly not too fast, but I am interested to learn if any of you has done this watts hours per KM or mile thingy.

On boats I logged all this to find the sweet crusing speed and it is usually at the engine highest torque output, or approx 4,500 RPM for an outboard with max rpm of 6,000. If diesel engine of 2,300RPM rating, usually 1,500-1,600 RPM when the turbo boost at its highest and hence torque too.

I never knew the difference was so great for efficiency between 5.3 m/sec vs 9.8 m/sec, until I seen the log.
I can't fly my Solo anytime soon, so me kinda itchy.... LOL.

Many thanks

Reactions: cameraguy
Well, I'm on snail mode too. Have been since I got it a couple of months ago. I basically have no intention of changing. The smooth camera moves please me, and I'm happy to coast along in the sky.

I always wanted to know how much more energy the fastest modes ate. I would like to use it in situations where I want to get someplace fast, do my shot, then disappear back to me before anyone noticed.

Now I have to learn how to change the setting in flight

I always wanted to know how much more energy the fastest modes ate. I would like to use it in situations where I want to get someplace fast, do my shot, then disappear back to me before anyone noticed.

Yes, same needs to why I want to know too :)
Also important when I chase an object, example a boat or when I do follow me.

The RTH speed is actually it's own parameter that you can change using Tower or Mission Planner. I have my RTH speed set for 30mph, which is hauling ass. The way I see it, if something is wrong and it needs to RTH, I don't want it to take it's sweet time doing it. I want it home, now.

I haven't looked at the logs to do a decimal point accurate comparison of power consumption at various speeds. However, the difference in consumption between snail and hot pursuit is really pretty small. 20-50 watts.

Reactions: agd
I haven't looked at the logs to do a decimal point accurate comparison of power consumption at various speeds. However, the difference in consumption between snail and hot pursuit is really pretty small. 20-50 watts.

Nice info, thanks P2P

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150