Solo and P3P Owner... Real honest discussion please

It isn't just the GPS, but it IS frustrating when the Solo can't take off due to a lack of satellites. My boyfriend and I use drones in neighborhoods and congested areas for our business. Similar to the old cliche, time is money, and it's senseless to bring along the Solo when we don't know if it will even be able to become airborne. And ... If there is a low number is satellites, and one too many is lost, the Solo flys away into who knows what? This has happened to me, in our backyard. It wasn't operator error. The Solo lost GPS and dove into a bunch of flowers.

Otherwise, the Phantom has great range, and I've flown it out 2,500 feet at 200 feet high. I lost connectivity at 600 feet with the Solo before the antennae were upgraded.

Like I've said, comparisons really aren't fair, since the Solo has no gimbal. But for me, the Phantom inspires--pun intended--confidence, whereas with the Solo, there's a little voice that cautions me that something crazy could happen at any moment. For me, that takes the fun out of something that's supposed to be ... well, fun.

You are right, without a gimbal you can't compare the 2

I have flown my Solo nearly every day since I have had it and I have built my confidence in it. I am more confident with it than my P2 right now.

I am looking at the u-blox GPS mod which I think would be a great upgrade for the Solo. Still waiting on my antenna mod from DBSmods. Then with the gimbal, I think I will be set.

I was messing around with Mission planner yesterday morning and wanted to connect to Solo. I ran out in the yard real quick (in PJs:eek:) and sat it down under our big pecan tree. By the time I got back inside I had 8 Sats.

Have you run through the stick calibration? I think it's quite odd that it fixes range issues but maybe it'll work for you. I take mine out every time to at least 2000' and have had 1 disconnect.

Reactions: Sarah B
No, I've never messed with stick calibration. The Solo did well with FPVLR antennae on a farm, but not so great around the medium-size city in which I live.

I seldom attain enough satellites to fly the Solo in my backyard. By comparison, the P2V usually gets six or seven satellites, and can be sent into the sky nearly every time.

Reactions: Raybro
I'm just disappointed that you, Rich, and others haven't had the same experience as myself, Jubair, Dodge, etc as I guess we are the lucky ones. Not having a DJI product I probably shouldn't even be commenting here. Anyway, wish you the best in your business and hoping that SOLO will one day be a valuable tool for you and b/f. Guess the GPS thing is what got my attention, just never have a problem. I was under the impression if SOLO loses GPS it goes to FLY:Manual?,,maybe not. Anyway, best of luck.

just picked up my p3p short time ago.
it is on charge now.
i agree with sarah not being able to trust the solo.when it flew it flew real well.
time will tell.
checked all the bolt holes and no cracks.

I'm just disappointed that you, Rich, and others haven't had the same experience as myself, Jubair, Dodge, etc as I guess we are the lucky ones. Not having a DJI product I probably shouldn't even be commenting here. Anyway, wish you the best in your business and hoping that SOLO will one day be a valuable tool for you and b/f. Guess the GPS thing is what got my attention, just never have a problem. I was under the impression if SOLO loses GPS it goes to FLY:Manual?,,maybe not. Anyway, best of luck.

David, I really did not have a bad experience. Yea I had a couple issues with both of mine but not deal breakers. Just wasn't refined enough for me to stick with it as the really cool parts about the Solo are not as important to me as they are to others.

And yes, if you lose GPS it goes to fly manual. Doesn't sound like a big deal but it definitely could be. As you know I fly a lot of long distance stuff. From home I fly over fields, woods, rivers and the lake. All pretty safe places for distance flying. If I lose GPS it no longer knows where home is. And to make it worse if I break connection with the controller (which is likely) during a brief GPS outage it auto-lands wherever its at. Lake, river, etc.

Now as I said, GPS has never been a big problem for me. But Sarah's has. Even when flying at 200' elevation. Not just once either. I personally think her Solo has more issues than the GPS issue 3DR is working on. She definitely has reason for concern.

I totally understand and if I were having the issues she has had I probably wouldn't be as calm and diplomatic about it as she has. There's only 1 reason I don't have a P3 right now,,,she should be home shortly...lol

Although it's a pain for those affected, the dispirit impact on random buyers is kind of fascinating. It must be driving 3dr crazy. Until I began reading the posts on this forum, I was flying my Solo's just about everywhere without a mishap. Yet other pilots are having disasters doing the same thing. Like many others I'm into photography and chose Solo for that purpose. I don't need to fly far, fast or high to do what I need. My Blade QX3 AP takes great HD video and has never had any GPS issues but it's difficult to fly and get good shots at the some time so I've crashed it a lot. The last time the factory couldn't fix it so they sent me a new one for free. I haven't taken it out of the box because I have my Solo's. But maybe I should just in case until all this weird stuff with Solo is figured out.

I can tell you there are probably a few thousand machines out there now. I suspect most of them, a large % of them are having good experiences. Mine,,and other's, have been flawless. Hard to say if you will have a "weird" experience or not. Maybe you should sit this one out. If you have a bad experience I'm sure you wouldn't be happy. I'm sure this will all be sorted out soon. Jus' sayin'

I
I can tell you there are probably a few thousand machines out there now. I suspect most of them, a large % of them are having good experiences. Mine,,and other's, have been flawless. Hard to say if you will have a "weird" experience or not. Maybe you should sit this one out. If you have a bad experience I'm sure you wouldn't be happy. I'm sure this will all be sorted out soon. Jus' sayin'
I agree Dave. I'm going to fly the Solo's a lot more conservatively until then. I'm surveying a construction site this afternoon and will be flying below ground a little. I've done it before without mishap. I'll cross my fingers this time.

Yes, good luck!! Hope your mission is successful. Loads of fun out here on the bleeding edge. Guess we all chose to be here, trying to learn from each others experiences. Good flying, brother!

I figured i'd weigh in...as i do have both right now...as well as an iris+ and others. I had some glitches with video feed on my solo initially but I seem to have that ironed out now....flys great, but i'm not as confident with it as i am with the p3p. I thought the p3p was the greatest thing ever until yesterday when i lost video feed with that...tried different cables, different sd cards, android, iphone, ipad...nothing (no crashes either). I can take the video or a picture and control the gimbal, i just cant see it until i land and pull the card. Here's the deal breaker....who do i call? Where do i send it for repair? Bought it on amazon i think....long past warranty or return. At least with the solo i can talk to a real person....and send it to a US address to get service...not so much with the p3p. I looked it up on google and it appears there are many that have the same issue...no video...no one knows what to do with it (obvious suggestions, change cable, sd card, check connections etc. but when that is done then what?). So even though I don't trust my solo as much, and i don't know it's full capabilities without the gimbal, don't underestimate what customer service is worth! You are NOT going to get it with your DJI product (and i've had them all, from the first phantom, P2, P2vision+, and now P3P). Never needed customer service until now...and there really is none to be had. I've heard horror stories of 16 week turn around times and repairs exceeding the value of the unit. Solo and 3dr will have my vote for all around service, capabilities, and value for your dollar, even without the gimbal. Buy a p3p......then try to figure out what to do when it breaks...and don't count on support services on the website.....that's about as reliable as a weather man...

Sorry about your problems. Everything you said is true and reasonable. I suppose it comes down to which of the lesser of two evils one wants to contend with. Don't misunderstand. I haven't abandoned the Solo. It's patiently sitting on a shelf, awaiting it's gimbal. I'm rooting for its success as much as anybody.

I'm with you Sarah...I want the solo to be everything we all hoped it would be...only time will tell for sure. My solo, likes yours, sits on the shelf waiting for the gimbal and for any and all issues to be ironed out!

I haven't flown the Solo in a week or so either. I've been flying the Iris+ and the P2 w/FPV the last several days. Today I decided to take the Yuneec Q500 and the Solo out. I hadn't flown the Q500 in a few months - it is just so slow. But I enjoyed flying it today - rock stable, slow, but nice smooth video. Walked the dogs with it following us in "Follow Me" mode - it's top speed isn't much faster than I walk... lol.

Then I flew the Solo. Wow. Going from the Yuneec to the Solo makes the Solo feel like a rocket.
Seemed so incredibly fast in comparison. I think the Q500 would look in character with a Steam Punk theme, and a smoke maker so it looks like it actually runs on steam.

But I digress, what I was wondering is how the P3 compares to the P2NV when it comes to power and speed?

The P3P is fast....but if you turn the solo up all the way..it's faster...at least that is my opinion in owning and flying them both

Reactions: GoodnNuff
But I digress, what I was wondering is how the P3 compares to the P2NV when it comes to power and speed?
P3 is faster and more responsive than the P2 series. You hit the throttle and it zips. After flying the V+ for a couple years when I hit the stick on the P3.. I thought wow !

The Solo will flat outrun the P3 speed wise in manual. However it will not out handle it. When you turn the P3 it turns. The Solo acts more like its on ice when it turns.

I am sure the Solo would be superior for filming. Its kind of like Camaro vs Impala.

I have never tried "drift" as I have never tried (yet) other features of SOLO but maybe someone has. Rich? To me, a coordinated turn as in an airplane would be a combination of rudder and aileron (roll and yaw) in such a manner that the aircraft maintains it's CG and does not skid as it does when in Fly or FLY:Manual..
:

. To navigate Solo in drift, move the right stick to initiate
a coordinated turn in that direction. Releasing the right stick will cause Solo to drift to a stop over a two-second period.

Just curious. Skid or coordinated??

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I find the SOLO extremely stable for filming. The yaw is much slower then the P2 but the solo motion is smoother for video. The P2 is great zipping around tree/objects.

As far as Solo GPS. We had an issue not getting GPS signals.From customer support -Every time you use it in a new location you should do a level and a compass calibration. Everything working now -back home. This is concerning for me as we were trying to launch it from a small boat on lake Erie. No level surface around. ???

Love the Solo and the company. What assume detailed email I received yesterday about the delay in shipment of the Gimbal. I can wait for it.

since batteries more or less are the same price, i feel Solo needs to make prop protectors. as crappy as they are, i'm tired of breaking a prop because i nudged grass.

at least they make things modular so you can replace them, but to add every upgrade forthcoming to make it the same as a P3P (sonar ground detection, range extension), it will be more. especially throwing in the GoPro.

But i'm still for the Solo; the body of the Phantom hasn't changed and it's really not meant for additional payload besides the camera. Future expand-ability has always attracted me and the Solo has that, even for a price. However, i treat that price as an investment so i'm fine paying for it.

I have never tried "drift" as I have never tried (yet) other features of SOLO but maybe someone has. Rich? To me, a coordinated turn as in an airplane would be a combination of rudder and aileron (roll and yaw) in such a manner that the aircraft maintains it's CG and does not skid as it does when in Fly or FLY:Manual..

David, I never have been beyond manual. But the Solo just wont maneuver as fast as the P3.Not saying that is a bad thing as it really was not designed for that.

I would assume it has something to do with the fact the Solo weighs more than a Phantom 3 (2.8# vs 3.7# with GoPro) Well get worse when you add gimbal weight.

Like I said, not a bad thing. Just different birds.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela