Some Android Questions

Reaction score
Website
edbeckphotography.com
Hi guys, I'm having a little trouble with my Galaxy Tab E Android Version 6.0.1 and would appreciate some help.

1. When I plug it into my computer via USB I can see the device listed as Samsung-SM-T567V. When I click on the device in Windows Explorer I don't see any files listed in the right pane. This is something new as in the past I've seen the device contents in the right pane.

2. In Settings it says that it's connected to my network but it doesn't show up under my network drives. This is less important to me if I can get #1 solved.

3. How do I move applications to my storage card?

Thanks,

I think for #1, the device needs to be unlocked (the lock screen). Just swipe the device and enter your code or whatever like you were actually going to use it. This is to prevent others from hooking your device up and being able to access your files without authorization.

It's unlocked before I plug it in.

Hey, I had nothing but fog in Lincoln City. Eh, we had fun anyway going down to the Ripley's museum and just looking around. Plus we had to stop at Tillamook of course!

Each time I plug my (6.0.1) Galaxy phone OR tablet into USB, I get a notification that tells me how the USB port is set. There are 4 or more choices and 1 of the choices is always selected.

Depending on the device model, choices are:
  • Transferring media files
  • Transferring images
  • Connecting MIDI devices
  • Charging
... however, there will always be "Charging" and some kind of File Transfer selection.

I just tried it on both my devices AND if the selection is set to "Charging", you cannot see files on your device. If set to transfer, you can see your internal memory and the SD card. And if set to Charging, you still see your device in explorer, but no files.

Reactions: Ed Beck
Hmm, I don't get that. When I plug it in I get a Dropbox dialog asking if I want to import. I click on cancel but then am not able to see files.

BUT then I saw there was a notification for USB settings and upon opening it I was able to change it to "File transfer" and am now seeing the content of my device.

OK, #1 solved.

I don't really care about #2.

How about #3. How do I move applications to my storage card?

For #3, Go to Settings -> Applications -> Applications Manager, then click on App you want to move, then click on Storage. If it is a movable App (and at least 90% are not), you will see an option to move the App to the SD Card.

What I have found out is that IF an App is allegedly movable, AND you choose to move it, when it updates through Play Store, it will move itself right back to internal memory. And some Apps, even though allegedly movable, will become flakey and unstable if moved. To put it another way - the SD card is totally useless EXCEPT for image and other storage - not for Apps. This is why the only memory that counts, is internal memory. Samsung can unlock the SD card to perform as a true extension of internal memory, but has not. They claim it's because the SD card can be encrypted, and removing said card could corrupt the entire system. I suspect they don't enable it is so they can sell higher-priced internal memory devices. If I could buy a 1 or 2 terabyte internal memory device, I would - and I don't care what the price would be.

For #3, Go to Settings -> Applications -> Applications Manager, then click on App you want to move, then click on Storage. If it is a movable App (and at least 90% are not), you will see an option to move the App to the SD Card.

What I have found out is that IF an App is allegedly movable, AND you choose to move it, when it updates through Play Store, it will move itself right back to internal memory. And some Apps, even though allegedly movable, will become flakey and unstable if moved. To put it another way - the SD card is totally useless EXCEPT for image and other storage - not for Apps. This is why the only memory that counts, is internal memory. Samsung can unlock the SD card to perform as a true extension of internal memory, but has not. They claim it's because the SD card can be encrypted, and removing said card could corrupt the entire system. I suspect they don't enable it is so they can sell higher-priced internal memory devices. If I could buy a 1 or 2 terabyte internal memory device, I would - and I don't care what the price would be.
OK, that explains how come when I went to the Applications Manager I didn't see any mention of moving apps to the external card. Thanks.

I can't find a way to move the data over, nothing obvious in the storage manager.

OK, that explains how come when I went to the Applications Manager I didn't see any mention of moving apps to the external card. Thanks.

I can't find a way to move the data over, nothing obvious in the storage manager.
There is no wholesale way to move apps. Those that can be moved, are done one at a time by selecting the App and seeing if it is movable. Samsung doesn't want to make it easy or intuitive!

Now, what do you mean by 'move data over'? What data exactly, and to where? Once the device is set to 'transfer', and you see the device in explorer, you can transfer files. Not program data, though.

My storage manager reports:

12.14 GB used out of 16.00GB
Total Space: 16 GB
Available Space: 3.86 GB
System Memory: 5.86 GB
Apps 4.27 GB
Pictures, Video: 1.47 GB
Audio: 3.28 MB
Other: 122 MB
Cached Data: 437 MB

It's the Pictures and Video I'd like to transfer. Basically I want to free up space on my device storage to the card.

Hi guys, I'm having a little trouble with my Galaxy Tab E Android Version 6.0.1 and would appreciate some help.

1. When I plug it into my computer via USB I can see the device listed as Samsung-SM-T567V. When I click on the device in Windows Explorer I don't see any files listed in the right pane. This is something new as in the past I've seen the device contents in the right pane.

2. In Settings it says that it's connected to my network but it doesn't show up under my network drives. This is less important to me if I can get #1 solved.

3. How do I move applications to my storage card?

Thanks,
Your just not in the right place to ask your question.
How do I Transfer Files between my Galaxy Tab E and a computer?

My storage manager reports:

12.14 GB used out of 16.00GB
Total Space: 16 GB
Available Space: 3.86 GB
System Memory: 5.86 GB
Apps 4.27 GB
Pictures, Video: 1.47 GB
Audio: 3.28 MB
Other: 122 MB
Cached Data: 437 MB

It's the Pictures and Video I'd like to transfer. Basically I want to free up space on my device storage to the card.
You are lucky - I have 15.5Gb used of 16.

If your device is set to Transfer, you will see the device in explorer AND be able to click on it to see the files on both the Internal memory AND the SD card. Find your pic or video files on the 'Phone', and transfer them to the 'Card' with explorer, just like copying any other file between drives.

In the case of 'cache', that can simply be deleted. It will simply slow down the Apps that were using the cache the next time that given App opens and does its thing. Get back to Application Manager as above, click on each App that you may want to remove the cache in. In that App, click on Storage; at the bottom of that screen is "Cache" and a CLEAR CACHE button. Tap the button - cache gone... for THAT App. I don't bother with clearing cache unless the App is taking somewhere in the Mb range. Many, many, many Apps however, just keep writing and writing and writing cache to internal memory and may have 1/2 Gb of it that can be cleared. YouTube is the biggest offender! I would not use the CLEAR DATA button.

There is a wholesale way to clear all the device's cache - but I don't use that. First do no harm.

Heck, here's stab at #2...
I have never seen my devices in explorer

You are lucky - I have 15.5Gb used of 16.

If your device is set to Transfer, you will see the device in explorer AND be able to click on it to see the files on both the Internal memory AND the SD card. Find your pic or video files on the 'Phone', and transfer them to the 'Card' with explorer, just like copying any other file between drives.

In the case of 'cache', that can simply be deleted. It will simply slow down the Apps that were using the cache the next time that given App opens and does its thing. Get back to Application Manager as above, click on each App that you may want to remove the cache in. In that App, click on Storage; at the bottom of that screen is "Cache" and a CLEAR CACHE button. Tap the button - cache gone... for THAT App. I don't bother with clearing cache unless the App is taking somewhere in the Mb range. Many, many, many Apps however, just keep writing and writing and writing cache to internal memory and may have 1/2 Gb of it that can be cleared. YouTube is the biggest offender! I would not use the CLEAR DATA button.

There is a wholesale way to clear all the devices cache - but I don't use that. First do no harm.
Thanks, this helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo