Solo will still be manufactured.

Reaction score
I talked to one of 3dr solo's mfg engineering guys. I was worried that this drone would not be produced after it was sold out. He assured me that the only reason they are not producing any more is because they have enough to satisfy the retail market. If they sell out then they will start manufacturing again.
This drone is so well engineered
The motors don't even get hot after a run like some competitors do.

Look, I can only hope.

But it needs a better camera. Yes the gopro is adequate, but not everyone wants to pea pro their gopro.

Or I could just go super slow while in 4k.....

Surely with the dual computers it could do visual tracking?

Reactions: Burb
I talked to one of 3dr solo's mfg engineering guys. I was worried that this drone would not be produced after it was sold out. He assured me that the only reason they are not producing any more is because they have enough to satisfy the retail market. If they sell out then they will start manufacturing again.
I want some of what you're smoking... :(

BTW, the motors get to about 120 F in Florida summers. That ain't exactly cool.

Reactions: Freebird32
I want some of what you're smoking... :(

BTW, the motors get to about 120 F in Florida summers. That ain't exactly cool.
Ditto here in Az!
There's no way 3DR will ever build any more drones. They just can't afford to build them for $750 and sell them for $400.

Yeah, I think its irresponsible to claim that un unamed source confirms ...well.. just about anytbing. What the heck are you trying to do? What you're saying is not a small announcement.

NEGATIVE! There will NEVER be another Solo manufactured by 3DR according to Chris Anderson earlier this month in a Forbes interview.

On Oct 8, 2016 “We’re not making anymore Solos and we’re not going to make another drone,” said Anderson, who suggested that 3D Robotics would start developing software for other drone makers.

Solo is finished, "tits-up" and already racing to the dust bin of history, sadly enough. Here is the Forbes article: Behind The Crash Of 3D Robotics, North America's Most Promising Drone Company

Cheers,
Lo

Reactions: Maddog
I
I absolutely positively knew it.
Let it go, people. There are enough surplus Solos to go around for a long time.
Life will go on.

Reactions: truoccm
I am only stating what I was told in tec support.
It is what it is. He said that they stopped production because they had enough to fill the demand. When they run out they may start up and manufacture again. Something to look forward too why be negative about it

I am only stating what I was told in tec support.
It is what it is. He said that they stopped production because they had enough to fill the demand. When they run out they may start up and manufacture again. Something to look forward too why be negative about it
Because it's untrue and unbelievably misleading.

Reactions: SARDG
Guess I will take it back and look for something that is supported. It is a good drone. Very stable and seems to be a solid platform

Guess the tec support guy is delusional.
He Must want to keep his job.
Maybe HE was smoking something... Anyway, I thought it was "3dr solo's mfg engineering guys" that gave you that bad info, not a tech support guy. CS folks are generally pleasant enough, I just don't think they are as highly skilled or as knowledgeable as some of the folks on this forum, who have a lot more field experience - certainly not knowledgeable if they actually believe Solo is coming back. It just may be the Party line he's repeating.

Amazing how many people seem to know what is happening inside 3DR
we have all heard Chris say things that later were true but not what we understood it to mean.
Is there anyone posting on this thread that actually has inside knowledge to make any statement of fact?
I am not saying the reports are true or false. I tend to believe there will be no more made.
But I dont know that, and neither do most of the people on here. We are going only by what has been said

Reactions: EyeWingsuit
He said he had been in mfg. he also said that it was a rumor that they weren't planning on producing again. I didn't realize they went out of business when I was talking to him or I would asked. Strange they are still answering the phone for tec support after they are out of busness.

If we actually knew how many were produced and how many were sold it would give us an idea of the available inventory. Because of their warranty (and unless they go Chapter 11/13) they already are holding back what would normally be called warranty spares for the support based on any factored reliability predictions. (They are being supported.) Not sure I've seen any quantities stated for production. If they have only sold half, for example, we can expect to see these low prices for a while through their main distributor (best buy). Maybe even lower on Black Friday or Xmas.......

The company isnt "tits up" they just dont want to be involved in mfg of the hardware any more.... They want to focus on the software according to the Forbes article.

He said he had been in mfg. he also said that it was a rumor that they weren't planning on producing again. I didn't realize they went out of business when I was talking to him or I would asked. Strange they are still answering the phone for tec support after they are out of busness.

I think you are extremely confused about who you were talking to and what that person was referring to.

Reactions: KnightRider
Amazing how many people seem to know what is happening inside 3DR...
Is there anyone posting on this thread that actually has inside knowledge to make any statement of fact?
pyrate- EVERYONE on this thread has real inside knowledge... :rolleyes: and would you really believe any poster who claimed to have any more knowledge about this, than any other poster?

I'm going with Forbes, and the likelihood that 3DR has more-than sufficient Solo numbers to outlast its technology - even at the prices they are offering them at. By the time the current stock of Solos runs out, the platform will be largely abandoned - or enough so, that firing up a new assembly line will not be economically feasible. They couldn't sell them for a profit the first time around, they certainly won't when the technology (or consumer-coveted features) is surpassed.

Actually, all the information was in the Forbes article. It appears that 3DR doesn't even own any Solos now. They had to transfer them to PCH and agree to market the remaining stock to pay off the manufacturing debt they owed. 3DR likely does not have the creditworthiness to enter into manufacturing any longer, Pixhawk mini aside, which I think is a Hobbyking product with 3DR name licensed.

Reactions: Mauiwind

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M