Solo-Rover-1 Now with Xbox360 steering.....

Reaction score
Somewhere in the Beautiful Nature Coast of Florida
This is my custom APMRover using a 3DR Solo and a Quanum Vandal from HobbyKing Quanum - Vandal - 1/10 4WD Buggy - Review - RC Groups

It runs the newest version of APMRover Rover Home — Rover documentation
IMG_20180403_172330.jpg
IMG_20180403_190823.jpg IMG_20180403_191414.jpg IMG_20180403_190703.jpg

The Rover works as expected I'm able to run it manually using the 3DR Solo controller or run it autonomously using Tower, Mission Planner QGroundControl and the like. It actually performs very well fast and precise in Auto mode.
The controller can arm/disarm using the steering stick and I can switch between modes using the Paddle, It even has failsafes such as disarm/stop and even Smart-Returns to home..

IMG_20180403_171752.jpg

This is a test with Mission planner and using the "Joystick Action feature" to Gain control using an Xbox 360 Steering wheel and pedals, I'm able to arm/disarm steer and have forward and reverse using the Pedals. It also has a few buttons programed for the various modes. It's actually pretty fun to rip around the neighborhood in FPV mode, and it alleviates some of the boredom when I'm not flying my Solo's..

And another crappy YouTube video :\
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Torn between a rover or fixed wing for my next project
I think it is going to be a rover though

Hey, two birds with one stone.... make a rover that converts into a flying drone.... then scale up for our flying cars of the future...

Reactions: XevetS
It's good for quite a few miles on open water. Not 25 like with aircraft, but, a real solid control and telemetry link. One thing I learned was to make sure the computer running Mission Planner is not scheduled to do an update while using. That was ugly!

It's good for quite a few miles on open water. Not 25 like with aircraft, but, a real solid control and telemetry link. One thing I learned was to make sure the computer running Mission Planner is not scheduled to do an update while using. That was ugly!
You need to install the "Pixhawk-APM-Manatee/Gator-Sonar-Equipped-Avoidance module" seeing that you're in Florida.....lol

Last edited:
I just stumbled across P2P's old post about putting an ADS-B into the solo........ I think that's going to be my next project.... unless someone get's working on a flying driving sailing solo in the meantime....

I just stumbled across P2P's old post about putting an ADS-B into the solo........ I think that's going to be my next project.... unless someone get's working on a flying driving sailing solo in the meantime....
I'm thinking those sensors will become recommended/mandatory on drones by the FAA in the near future, so good choice...

In all fairness, I think it's a good idea to have it equipped, also if it does automatic avoidance, even better. Ok, there some concerns about implementation of that one (does it fly to the right, left, down... what could it possibly hit?). However if the drone is visible to a pilot's system, all the better for both parties to take proper action.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo